Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

ASP S25A RC Cox_ba12

ASP S25A RC Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

ASP S25A RC Empty
Live on Patrol

ASP S25A RC

Go down

ASP S25A RC Empty ASP S25A RC

Post  ian1954 Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:57 pm

ASP S25A RC Asp_s210
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

ASP S25A RC Empty Re: ASP S25A RC

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:42 pm

kinda reminds me of a O.S. .32F, mgreat late eighties powerplant!

ASP S25A RC 10913010
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:45 am

The ASP .25 is essentially a OS FX.25 clone. For the money, they can't be beat. The engine however has no parts support over here in the US. You essentially use it, abuse it, and buy another. I never found the need to break these engines in on a stand, bolt it on and go fly it. It certainly serves the newcomer well in terms of user friendly. The last price from Hobby King was in the $41 range and now I see it's increased due to returning from out of stock. This is a sign of the times and usually means the end of the production. Seeing that electrics have replaced glow engines of this size I can really see the end of these engines soon. I certainly hope I'm incorrect on that statement.  OS had a bunch of supporters to maintain the OS FX .25 due to it's use in R/C combat and I see it's probably on the chopping block soon.  The price of the OS  is in excess of $100 so for the price of a ASP you can't go wrong there as your essentially buying 2 for the price of one. The quality of the OS is superior to the ASP though. ASP/Magnum engines use crankshafts with the crankpins being a separate part being pressed in. This is the situation on the predecessor to the square head which is the round head. Some of us that used these in speed limit combat have suffered from cranks breaking at the timing port on the shafts when pushed hard. Reminds me of the Supertiger G-21-.35's, great engines but don't stand in front of them when they're running. Ken

Last edited by Ken Cook on Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:20 am

I kinda figured...lol, I wonder how O.S. feels, It seems like every engine they develop ends up getting copied by Thunder Tiger/Magnum/ASP?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:47 am

Mark, I recall reading a lengthy article some time ago in regards to what you mentioned. The actual designer whom at the time did work for OS had left the company.  In doing so, he took his designs with him. All of the supposed OS clones are designed by him as he started  Thunder Tiger as well. Some of these were even built better due to having true ABC construction. I'm not 100 % certain on this, but I believe this was in and around the time that Tower Hobbies offered the Tower .40 which was 1980 approx. The Tower .40 was essentially the OS FP.40. The Tower .40 though which was offered at a lesser cost than the FP at the time was essentially the better option. It ran better and lasted longer due to the true ABC construction.  Many of the Thunder Tiger GP parts parts will interchange with the OS Fp engines. I believe that ASP, AP,  Magnum, Evolution, are one in the same company. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:44 pm

I have a asp .15 and it is the first engine I ever had do a 1 flip start on the test stand for initial break-in. The hot restart was also 1 flip.

I have yet to fly this engine, and I am not convinced that a $35 dollar engine can be all that, and have a good service life...

I hope to fly it sometime on something. I am on the fence about putting it onto my Jr Ringmaster with the throttle wired open.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:55 pm

I'm probably wrong, but for some reason i want to say the company is called Blue Bird something?

In the mid eighties i had a Thunder Tiger .40 (same as a O.S. FSR .40) figured 9'ed it and broke the front part of case (two piece case) order part thru local hobby shop (remember those?) part came as a "Magnum" but bolted up just fine.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:30 am

Mark Boesen wrote:I'm probably wrong, but for some reason i want to say the company is called Blue Bird something?
I think you are correct, Mark, I recall somewhere seeing that, can't place it. Blue Bird is a mythological symbol of good luck.

In the mid eighties i had a Thunder Tiger .40 (same as a O.S. FSR .40) figured 9'ed it and broke the front part of case (two piece case) order part thru local hobby shop (remember those?)  part came as a "Magnum" but bolted up just fine.
The manual to my Magnum .15GP plain bearing engine I bought some 20 years ago states in back, manufactured by Thunder Tiger.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:18 am

ASP engines are manufactured in China by by Sanye are sold under a number of names, including ASP, Magnum, Super Custom and others.

http://sanyemodel.com/EnglistVs/Default.aspx

Not sure about Thunder Tiger though, they are a Taiwanese based com.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:06 am

ian1954 wrote:ASP engines are manufactured in China by  by Sanye are sold under a number of names, including ASP, Magnum, Super Custom and others.
Reference report by Clarence Lee:

ASP S25A RC Magnum10

At one time Magnum was a Thunder Tiger product.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:12 pm

There is such a thing as aesthetic appeal. I could look at that ASP all day long while the equivalent electric I would quickly cowl up and hide away.

Beautiful engine ian.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:39 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
ian1954 wrote:ASP engines are manufactured in China by  by Sanye are sold under a number of names, including ASP, Magnum, Super Custom and others.
Reference report by Clarence Lee:

ASP S25A RC Magnum10

At one time Magnum was a Thunder Tiger product.

After some research you are correct. Originally Magnum used Thunder Tiger in Taiwan to manufacture engines but then dropped them in favour of Sanye in China. Sanye definitely manufacture the above plus the new Evolution engines.

I am still not clear because of the similarity of the engines whether ASP, Magnum, SC and Evolution are "brand names" or companies using Sanye as the manufacturer.

Look at the XL25A here:-

http://www.globalhobby.com/magnum/magxl.htm

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:15 am

Whether Magnum was a 3rd party managment team separate from TT that I can't say. After some 'net education, I gather that mainland China has plagiarised other's products without concern over copyrights. Taiwan has been under scrutiny by Communist China for take over regarding claims of ancestral grounds and views free world Taiwan as rebels belonging to them rather than a separate free nation. But then, many of TT's products appear to be plagiarisms of OS, too.

I think an answer perhaps from the silent 1,500 members of this forum (or so I gathered) may have an appropriate answer as to the facts regarding Magnum history.

This engine appears to be of sufficient power that it could easily replace older cross scavenge .35 engines of 45 years ago with the added advantage of using modern fuel mixtures of lower oil content, and still give change.

Not long ago I was given an older TT Magnum .25GP plain bearing. It is not quite as powerful as the Sanye ASP .25, but still is decent, compares favorably with the OS .25FP engine.

Deviating further off topic but I think reality is upon us. At least with us across the pond, increased hazardous materials transportation charges and proliferation of electrics has basically doomed all glow. I foresee in near future that all our engines, even as of recent will become shelf-ware collector items. Tired w/ Coffee Read
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:08 pm

rsv1cox wrote:There is such a thing as aesthetic appeal.  I could look at that ASP all day long while the equivalent electric I would quickly cowl up and hide away.  

Beautiful engine ian.

Bob
I'm with ya there! An engine's gotta smell right and sound right.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:06 pm

My Thunder Tiger/Magnum .40FSR from the eighties (Irvine tuned pipe muffler, aluminum Tru-turn spinner) was great, east to start, adjust, etc. one of the best engines i've ever owned, it powered a Great Planes Kaos .40, one the best R/C planes i ever had!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum