Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Cox engine collecting (The Bug!)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Cox engine collecting (The Bug!)

Post  ian1954 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:53 pm

In the UK, Cox engines were often repackaged. In this example and unusual silencer was included in the box.

ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:04 pm

ian1954 wrote:This is a petrol TD 049.

I had trouble running this and did many experiments with fuel mix. I found, by accident, that it started very easily on just petrol -95 Ron. So I added 5% castor and ran it a little longer. I was a little unhappy that there wasn't enough lubricant but it wasn't happy with 10% castor and so I did 5% castor and 5% two stroke synthetic (motorcycle two stroke).

It started easily but seemed to have lost get up and go. I added a dash of paraffin (kerosene) and it ran quite happily. Still needs more work, I spent about two hours fiddling and after running I checked the plug. It was sooty and not the coffee colour I had hoped for so it was running rich but I wasn't able to lean the mixture any further.

I had run it on a 6 x 3 propeller.

There is one of these on eBay now, ends soon

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371234145886?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:47 pm

ian1954 wrote:This is a petrol TD 049.

..................I had trouble running this and did many experiments with fuel mix. I found, by accident, that it started very easily on just petrol -95 Ron. So I added 5% castor and ran it a little longer. I was a little unhappy that there wasn't enough lubricant but it wasn't happy with 10% castor and so I did 5% castor and 5% two stroke synthetic (motorcycle two stroke).

It started easily but seemed to have lost get up and go. I added a dash of paraffin (kerosene) and it ran quite happily. Still needs more work, I spent about two hours fiddling and after running I checked the plug. It was sooty and not the coffee colour I had hoped for so it was running rich but I wasn't able to lean the mixture any further.

I had run it on a 6 x 3 propeller.

I wonder how the 10% lubricant works out in a ringless engine, with regards to compression? I guess gas/petrol engines all have piston rings for a reasonable compression that the often 3% or even less lube oil content in 2-stroke petrol fuel alone would not be capable of sealing? 10% oil still seams too thin a sealant for a ringles engine.
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 on Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:32 am

balogh wrote:

I wonder how the 10% lubricant works out in a ringless engine, with regards to compression? I guess gas/petrol engines all have piston rings for a reasonable compression that the often 3% or even less lube oil content in 2-stroke petrol fuel  alone would not be capable of sealing? 10% oil still seams too thin a sealant for a ringles engine.

You maybe correct but this engine wasn't originally purposed to run on petrol. All I can see from my attempts to run it, it is not a happy bunny with too high an oil content. Also petrol has some lubricating properties itself unlike methanol.

Still in the experimental stage.
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk on Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:38 am

Hey Ian, would you be willing to trade 1 of each engine for 1 Mother In Law? She cooks, cleans and has a boat. I can send you a pic of the boat if you'd like.

Shawn
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:03 am

ian1954 wrote:Cars prior to 1995 in the UK can suffer from the alcohol content in the bio fuels now sold predominately at supermarkets rotting seals and rubber.
My 1971 Honda CB100 new petcock needs new rubber seals, surprised me that it went bad in a short while. Mad

GallopingGhostler
Account Deactivated by Owner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit on Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:41 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
ian1954 wrote:Cars prior to 1995 in the UK can suffer from the alcohol content in the bio fuels now sold predominately at supermarkets rotting seals and rubber.
My 1971 Honda CB100 new petcock needs new rubber seals, surprised me that it went bad in a short while. Mad
None of the bikes even current models like the green gas. My 02 CBR600F4i is currently having seal problems due to the alcohol.
Keep an eye on the carbs btw it eats them up too. (Bandit)
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:29 am

TDbandit wrote:None of the bikes even current models like the green gas. My 02 CBR600F4i is currently having seal problems due to the alcohol. Keep an eye on the carbs btw it eats them up too. (Bandit)
I heard similar too, Bandit. My 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager tourer's 4 carbs use better floats but had a rough idle when I bought it a little over a year ago with 33k miles on it. (Now it has almost 47k miles on it.) I thought I'd have to rebuild the carbs.

On the forums, they mentioned how the newer fuel with alcohol content and without MBTE gums up the carbs over time. I followed advice, now add Seafoam fuel treatment to the tank every couple months, it makes a huge difference. Now the bike idles smoothly, worth the $13 per can.

GallopingGhostler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit on Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:02 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
TDbandit wrote:None of the bikes even current models like the green gas. My 02 CBR600F4i is currently having seal problems due to the alcohol. Keep an eye on the carbs btw it eats them up too. (Bandit)
I heard similar too, Bandit. My 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200 Voyager tourer's 4 carbs use better floats but had a rough idle when I bought it a little over a year ago with 33k miles on it. (Now it has almost 47k miles on it.) I thought I'd have to rebuild the carbs.

On the forums, they mentioned how the newer fuel with alcohol content and without MBTE gums up the carbs over time. I followed advice, now add Seafoam fuel treatment to the tank every couple months, it makes a huge difference. Now the bike idles smoothly, worth the $13 per can.
Sea Foam the "Anti-coke kit in a can" as I call it. As an A&P, I recommend it to pilots with uncertified light sport and Ultralite aircraft that use Rotax engines. If used regularly, you won't ever have to De-coke it (pull the cylinders and clean the combustion chambers and piston crowns and check the rings/replace if necessary) I pulled the exhaust to do an visual inspection on a Rotax 582 blue head two stroke that was 200 hours past Rotax's recommended 300 hr TBO that used seafoam religiously and it didn't have a spot on the piston, rings were free and the cross hatching on the cylinders looked like it was fresh from the factory  The stuffs magic worth every penny you give for it and it works wonders with carbs and FI. (Bandit)
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale on Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:57 am

Marleysky wrote:wOw, I'm almost speechless. That collection must have taken many years to assemble. My wife is a quilter and collects fabric and designs. She had a sign that reads " She who dies with the most fabric wins! "  she IS trying to win, as are you with a collection like that ( substitute Engines for fabric ) I am impressed and in awe that you can't even store it in one place.....or is that for safety reasons so you won't loose the complete collection in one mishap?
My wife's way ahead of yours in that race I'll bet!!
dinsdale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale on Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:08 am

ian1954 wrote:Also petrol has some lubricating properties itself unlike methanol.

I'll try not to make too much of a habit of this, but today seems to be my day for contradiction.
Petrol is an abrasive - no 2 ways about it.  Just one of the reasons why diesels generally last for many more miles.  Diesel fuel is a lubricant.
dinsdale

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:14 am

"]
Marleysky wrote:wOw, I'm almost speechless. That collection must have taken many years to assemble. My wife is a quilter and collects fabric and designs. She had a sign that reads " She who dies with the most fabric wins! "  she IS trying to win, as are you with a collection like that ( substitute Engines for fabric ) I am impressed and in awe that you can't even store it in one place.....or is that for safety reasons so you won't loose the complete collection in one mishap?
My wife's way ahead of yours in that race I'll bet!![/quote]

Hijacked

Well, I certainly don't want to fuel that competition, so I'll agree, yes she has more! My wife has been on a "I'm going to complete every quilt I've started campaign " lately. So she only has to buy fabrics to match or compliment the design she's working on! She claims to be using her "stash" for the majority of the projects.
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top