Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Toxic Skyraider flys in Cox_ba12

Toxic Skyraider flys in Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Toxic Skyraider flys in Empty
Live on Patrol

Toxic Skyraider flys in

Go down

Toxic Skyraider flys in Empty Toxic Skyraider flys in

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:50 pm

Box could use some work. Warm iron, inside masking tape and some Elmers. Box covers both designations....AD-6 (as I remember it) and the later A1.

Toxic Skyraider flys in Toxic%20AD-6%20%20Fokker%20010_zpswirmb76d

Covered with a mixture of spent fuel, dirt, and cat hairs.

Toxic Skyraider flys in Toxic%20AD-6%20%20Fokker%20011_zpsmzzqgfof

Toxic Skyraider flys in Toxic%20AD-6%20%20Fokker%20012_zps5b4p1dpq

But no cracks and more or less complete. Started cleaning it in the garage. Simple Green and fine steel wool loosened most of it. Brought it in the kitchen and gave it another hot wash in Palmolive liquid and a rinse. Got off the top three layers, two more to go.

Toxic Skyraider flys in Toxic%20AD-6%20%20Fokker%20020_zpsliqy8ps0

The interior was more gummed up than the exterior, and found out why. The fuel tube had broken off the fuel tank and they just kept pumping fuel into it. Notice the three mounting pylons. I got one of the screws out, the other two broke off inside the pylons. The engine pylon, no problem. The center bell-crank pylon, big problem. The rest of the screw is broken off in there.

Toxic Skyraider flys in Skyraider%20toxic%20under%20003_zpsztxq9zi2

All in all it didn't turn out to bad. I still have to remove the decals, take off a couple more layers, either paint or add decals as is and clean and mount the engine.

Toxic Skyraider flys in Toxic%20AD-6%20%20Fokker%20021_zpsfo5zlxcf

Toxic Skyraider flys in Toxic%20AD-6%20%20Fokker%20025_zpsnp44dnjz

Ideas on how to remove that center pylon screw without damage would be appreciated......
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Toxic Skyraider flys in Empty Re: Toxic Skyraider flys in

Post  roddie Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi Bob, That's a lousy place for that to have happen.. but you could try to file the plastic stand-off down enough to get a bite on the broken screw with small locking pliers.. if the screw's not rusted too far down. If this works, you can re-dress the stand-off flat-smooth and install a washer or two under the bellcrank if needed.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  schiada96 Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:43 pm

Pretty cool, I got my throttle working. Have to go to dinner I will try and post pictures soon.

Mine cleaned up nice I used bleach and hot water after a wipe down with some hoppies number 9.

It is missing the rockets the needle valve black cap and I'll have to make one landing gear the eyelet was rusted thru.
schiada96
schiada96
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  statorvane Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Another idea to remove the broken screw is get a thin piece of K&S brass tubing, with the inside diameter the same as the screw's outside diameter. Serrate the end of the tubing to make a poor man's hole saw. I've done this with hardwood bound screws broken off and it works pretty good. I usually chuck the tube into a drill press to remove the wood/screw, but if this is Styrene plastic, you could probably twirl it with your fingers to remove the plastic, or use a VSR hand drill. It'll leave a hole bigger than the screw (or the size of the OD of the tubing), then fill the hole with epoxy and bore it out for a replacement screw.

I recently resorted to this to replace a tail-light bulb on my 2004 Trailblazer - rusted screw sheared off when I tried to remove it. I found the drill press method worked pretty fast, but tended to melt the plastic - probably some sort of vinyl plastic. A few minutes later, troweled 5-min epoxy in there, then bored it out one hour later. No problem.

Hope this helps.
statorvane
statorvane
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  schiada96 Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Toxic Skyraider flys in Jpg11

The throttle linkage
schiada96
schiada96
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:56 am

statorvane wrote:Another idea to remove the broken screw is get a thin piece of K&S brass tubing, with the inside diameter the same as the screw's outside diameter. Serrate the end of the tubing to make a poor man's hole saw. I've done this with hardwood bound screws broken off and it works pretty good. I usually chuck the tube into a drill press to remove the wood/screw, but if this is Styrene plastic, you could probably twirl it with your fingers to remove the plastic, or use a VSR hand drill. It'll leave a hole bigger than the screw (or the size of the OD of the tubing), then fill the hole with epoxy and bore it out for a replacement screw.

I recently resorted to this to replace a tail-light bulb on my 2004 Trailblazer - rusted screw sheared off when I tried to remove it. I found the drill press method worked pretty fast, but tended to melt the plastic - probably some sort of vinyl plastic. A few minutes later, troweled 5-min epoxy in there, then bored it out one hour later. No problem.

Hope this helps.
That's cool stuff I am putting that in my memory bank , Thanks
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:24 am

Yes, me too. I have gathered the stuff necessary to do the job, although I may substitue a jewelers triangle file.

Toxic Skyraider flys in Skyraider%20tools%20001_zpsex73ozwk
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:49 pm

Sounds like you got'er handled...I like to use a Dremel with the really thin cutting stone and cut a really thin slot, using a small screw driver to remove.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessories/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=420
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:03 pm

I tried the made up brass tube "drill" chucked in a dremel set on low on a piece of scrap and it worked well - to a point. It tended to overheat the plastic and would only go down about 1/8th inch before bottoming out.

I cured the overheat by running the drill bit/plastic under cold water which worked fine. Now I have to cut the brass tube with a dremel cut-off in an X patten deeper than the present jewelers file cuts and try that.

Toxic Skyraider flys in Mustangs%20etc%20022_zpsxy0tibhl

Hopeful
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:10 am

I got the broken end of the screw out of the Skyraiders pylon.

I decided against using a made-up drill bit around the bitter end of the screw as there just isn't enough material around the relieved end of the pylon that the bell-crank sits on.  

Instead I used a razor saw all around the pylon to cut it, then unscrewed the free end to expose the broken screw then used pliers to extract that.  Worked great.  

Toxic Skyraider flys in Skyraider%20pylon%20fix%20001_zpskzlgmmon

Toxic Skyraider flys in Skyraider%20pylon%20fix%20003_zpstvsw0qjx

I think I will hog out the freed end then glue it back in place using a guide.  I had marked a witness line on the pylon to ensure I got it back correctly.  It may be a trifle shorter, but there is flash on both ends that should help in the gluing process and make up the difference. Razor saws are pretty thin anyway.

Toxic Skyraider flys in Skyraider%20pylon%20fix%20006_zpsq2dyfh3r

I could use a 2/56 machine screw to replace the broken special purpose but will probably look for a self tapping screw to do the job.  Most of the replacement screw will go deep into the unaltered fixed end of the plyon.

Anyway, I was sweating this one out.  Those broken in place screws can be a problem.  Two out of the three were broken in place.  Easy, as they are thin above the threads to begin with.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:55 am

This is turning out to be the hard-luck Skyraider.  While my other one disassembled, cleaned-up and went back together fine, this one is living up to it's toxic name.  

From the broken screws, to the acne finish, and busted pylons I found a broken nipple on the fuel tank, fuel tank oozing a brown/orange substance, subsequent broken fuel tank and a seized engine with a probable out of round cylinder.  For starters.....

I solved the broken pylons and screws then moved on to the fuel tank which was dripping the mentioned fluid.  I knew it had to be cleaned but it wouldn’t come off.  Sooo I applied a little compressed air, not a great move as the two filler nipples were blocked with this ooze so when I applied the air to the fuel outlet hole it blew the tank in half....

Toxic Skyraider flys in Fuel%20tank%20Enfield%20001_zpsftewpq8q

Ok, I had a spare tank, but I couldn’t use it because the attaching lip still had plastic on it from the donor aircraft which would not come off, but it did supply a nipple.  

Toxic Skyraider flys in Fuel%20tank%20Enfield%20012_zpsrrxldef2

Toxic Skyraider flys in Skyraider%20fuel%20tank%20003_zpsl8igsmbg

Got the tank glued back together and mounted and moved on to the engine.  Like the rest of the Skyraider it was a mess.  Got it disassembled after a hot Simple Green soak only to discover that the cylinder is out of round.  No problem, I have new cylinders.  

Toxic Skyraider flys in Fuel%20tank%20Enfield%20007_zps9zceooqw

Notice the unused fuel in the line and the broken off nipple still in the silicone.  I think the propeller was bent from years sitting on that blade in some hot attic somewhere.  Wonder if I can apply heat and bend it back?????
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down