Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"



PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery


Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  JPvelo on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:21 pm

I finished tweaking the rules for 2015. There's a review of changes below but PLEASE carefully read the rules if you are going to compete!


https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5898-cef-profile-scale-speed-rules


The major changes are the addition of a Tee Dee class, and models are now flown 12 laps on 35' lines. I've also included language addressing multi engine models.

12 laps on 35' lines is the exact same distance as 10 on 42' lines. The change was made to accommodate those with limited space. We may pick up a little speed from decreased line drag as well.

If you want to make a twin with 2 pee wees' or a tri motor with 2 TD .020s' and a TD .010 you can do that! As long as total displacement doesn't exceed .051 it's fair game. Who wants to fly 5 .010's ? lol!

Completed photos must be in by Dec 14, videos by Dec 31. You can submit video anytime between now and the end of the contest.

I've also stipulated that any model that has placed in the top three in a previous contest may not be re-entered. You are welcome to recycle the winning engine. This is to spur creativity and prevent one model from dominating the contest.  If you have a past winner and for some reason are unable to build a new model contact me by pm and we will work something out.

I have commitments for prizes three deep in both classes and there will be something for the first person to break 75mph with a reed valve model!

I think that's about it. If history has taught us anything it's START BUILDING NOW! You cold climate guys can build now and test fly all summer. If you put it off you'll be out of time before you know it!

I hope to see some more great models this time, and there are several models that have been built but not flown I would love to see in the air!

Jim


Last edited by JPvelo on Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:56 am; edited 2 times in total
avatar
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1925
Join date : 2011-12-02
Age : 50
Location : Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  Marleysky on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:15 pm

JPvelo wrote:I finished tweaking the rules for 2015. There's a review of changes below but PLEASE carefully read the rules.....

If you want to make a twin with 2 pee wees' or a tri motor with 2 TD .020s' and a TD .010 you can do that! As long as total displacement doesn't exceed .051 it's fair game. Who wants to fly 5 .010's ? lol!
Jim

Oh boy, you got the inventive juices flowing now.  I've never checked at ansestory.com but I believe I may have roots dangling back to Howard R Hughes. I have visions of a Multi motor version of the Spruce Goose. In profile.... Reading  
PS : check my want add " wanted 5 slightly used or new  .010 for record breaking speed trial race. "
avatar
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 1423
Join date : 2014-09-28
Age : 65
Location : Grand Rapids, MI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  JPvelo on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:17 pm

Marleysky wrote:
JPvelo wrote:I finished tweaking the rules for 2015. There's a review of changes below but PLEASE carefully read the rules.....

If you want to make a twin with 2 pee wees' or a tri motor with 2 TD .020s' and a TD .010 you can do that! As long as total displacement doesn't exceed .051 it's fair game. Who wants to fly 5 .010's ? lol!
Jim

Oh boy, you got the inventive juices flowing now.  I've never checked at ansestory.com but I believe I may have roots dangling back to Howard R Hughes. I have visions of a Multi motor version of the Spruce Goose. In profile.... Reading  
PS : check my want add " wanted 5 slightly used or new  .010 for record breaking speed trial race. "
avatar
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1925
Join date : 2011-12-02
Age : 50
Location : Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  RknRusty on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:24 pm

Almost a year to build it. I might be able to squeeze that in since my Mustang is banned.

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
avatar
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10437
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 61
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  JPvelo on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:30 pm

RknRusty wrote:Almost a year to build it. I might be able to squeeze that in since my Mustang is banned.

Don't think of it as banned Rusty, think of it as exalted. lol!
avatar
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1925
Join date : 2011-12-02
Age : 50
Location : Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  getback on Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:30 am

Thanks Jim, This should be good !!Maybe I read it and don't know But are the TD and REED going to bee in the same categories ? Yes an early start will make things easier than waiting till the last min. Let the games begin cheers Devil Clapping Flying
avatar
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4272
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 60
Location : julian, n.c.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  JPvelo on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:25 am

getback wrote:Thanks Jim, This should be good !!Maybe I read it and don't know But are the TD and REED going to bee in the same categories ? Yes an early start will make things easier than waiting till the last min. Let the games begin cheers Devil Clapping Flying

Reed and Tee Dee will be two separate classes with prizes three deep in both classes.

Jim
avatar
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1925
Join date : 2011-12-02
Age : 50
Location : Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2015 Speed Plane

Post  RK Flyer on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:40 pm

Jim,

I've been hoping that the new contest would include the Tee Dee, Now I can build the Stiletto with it and fly the Air Cobra with the Golden Bee!
2 planes with Mid Engines, WOW!!!

RK Flyer   Cold

P> S> I have the plans for the Stiletto if anyone is interested send me a PM.










Last edited by RK Flyer on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add PS.)
avatar
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 250
Join date : 2013-07-16
Location : Somerset, Kentucky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  JPvelo on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:33 pm

RK Flyer wrote:Jim,

I've been hoping that the new contest would include the Tee Dee, Now I can build the Stiletto with it and fly the Air Cobra with the Golden Bee!
2 planes with Mid Engines, WOW!!!

RK Flyer   Cold

P> S> I have the plans for the Stiletto if anyone is interested send me a PM.


RK,
The problem with the stiletto is that it is not scale so it does not qualify. I may do a real simple "run what you brung" style speed contest though.

Jim
avatar
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1925
Join date : 2011-12-02
Age : 50
Location : Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  RknRusty on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:51 pm

JPvelo wrote:RK,
The problem with the stiletto is that it is not scale so it does not qualify. I may do a real simple "run what you brung" style speed contest though.

Jim
Now that's right in my wheelhouse!

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
avatar
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10437
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 61
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  TDbandit on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:09 pm

Cool I've now got an excuse to build my sig staggering that I got for Christmas a couple of years back. Smile As soon as I get my Wildcat covered and finished up it's gonna be my next project. (Bandit)
avatar
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 862
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 46
Location : Fort Valley Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  Oldenginerod on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:25 am

Maybe we should run a Staggerwing comp. The precedent has been set. I have a NIB SIG kit waiting in the wings (ahem) also.
Note my avatar.

Rod.
avatar
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1895
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Victoria, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  TDbandit on Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:42 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Maybe we should run a Staggerwing comp.  The precedent has been set.  I have a NIB SIG kit waiting in the wings (ahem) also.
Note my avatar.

Rod.
Sounds like a plan! Would be neat to have a staggerwing division, it would be fun. Thinking about building up a killerbee style reedie for it. Very Happy (Bandit)
avatar
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 862
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 46
Location : Fort Valley Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  JPvelo on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:08 am

TDbandit wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:Maybe we should run a Staggerwing comp.  The precedent has been set.  I have a NIB SIG kit waiting in the wings (ahem) also.
Note my avatar.

Rod.
Sounds like a plan! Would be neat to have a staggerwing division, it would be fun. Thinking about building up a killerbee style reedie for it. Very Happy (Bandit)

I have a nib Sig kit that I am thinking if tracing onto poplar or basswood and putting my Tee Dee .09 in it Devil
avatar
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1925
Join date : 2011-12-02
Age : 50
Location : Phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Stilleto

Post  RK Flyer on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:35 pm

Jim,

I've been thinking about the Stiletto not being a scale plane and it was only made as a model in 1969 &'70 as a speed plane for the AMA Speed race. So I 'll have to try something different this year.

I also like the idea of the Stagger Wing planes so I'll see what comes off the drawing board!!

RK Flyer Cold Snow here in KY this morning!!
avatar
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 250
Join date : 2013-07-16
Location : Somerset, Kentucky

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  getback on Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:46 pm

http://www.air-and-space.com/Norbert%20Simon/Norbert%20Simon%2012%20Tiger%20Moth%20DH82A%20G-ADNV%20scale%20model%20l.jpg I have been wanting to built one of these for CL of coarse, So what ever yaw decide , I am game like a chicken Laughing
avatar
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4272
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 60
Location : julian, n.c.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  Oldenginerod on Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:49 am

getback wrote:http://www.air-and-space.com/Norbert%20Simon/Norbert%20Simon%2012%20Tiger%20Moth%20DH82A%20G-ADNV%20scale%20model%20l.jpg I have been wanting to built one of these for CL of coarse, So what ever yaw decide , I am game like a chicken Laughing  
Now that would be a neat challenge Smile , but speed, I think not. Different class there. lol!
avatar
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1895
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 55
Location : Victoria, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  RknRusty on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:18 am

In case anyone is interested, Cox International sells KK fine thread 128tpi needle valves for Tee Dee .049s. I didn't know that.
http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-tee-dee-needle-valve-body-needle.html
Rusty

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
avatar
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10437
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 61
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  getback on Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:36 am

that's cool to keep from making small orders from other co, Looks like there in cahoots with Kustom Kraftmanship / Texas Timers item , price is with in reason only 2- difft. Small Cox Logo
avatar
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4272
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 60
Location : julian, n.c.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  modelbuilder49 on Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:50 pm

Greetings Jim!  I so want to be a part of this event but I've run into a very serious problem!!  Crying or Very sad You see, I read the rules as to the dimensions and so forth and committed them to memory then I began researching what I believed could be winning designs.  When I made my decision I began drawing up the plans for the Rivets and then began the cutting an gluing.  Finally it came time to mount the engine only to find that the design appears to be too small!!  My Black Widow looks huge and makes it way too nose heavy and the only engine that seems to fit/look well is my Cox 020.  Wink  I posted a couple of pictures ... somewhere on the site host www.servimg.com ... for your musing, meditation, rumination, ponderances and maybe a laugh or two.

Jim Carter
avatar
modelbuilder49
Silver Member
Silver Member

Posts : 93
Join date : 2013-09-12
Age : 68
Location : Titusville Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  getback on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:10 pm

 Like this !! could not see your pic. // Any way I think wee are working to stream line ( I am going to make this yrs. model larger ( That pic is minimum ) Try reposting your pic ? There's a wire with a HM. weight on the end sticking out the butt end , But when it was fling it did well 9 say make the laps ))((but slow from repairs ((((  Easter Bunny Easter Bunny Easter Bunny Easter Bunny
avatar
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 4272
Join date : 2013-01-18
Age : 60
Location : julian, n.c.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  Mike Mulligan on Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:51 pm

Alright! Here we go again!

Thanks for doing this again Jim. It was great fun last time and I didn't even have time to fly my little beast. Should have time to get a couple of flights in between now and the end of the year, especially when you consider that I have one plane ready to go already!tongue

Cheers!

Mike
avatar
Mike Mulligan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 103
Join date : 2014-06-08
Age : 54
Location : Vista CA (Near San Diego)

View user profile http://Mulliganracing.com

Back to top Go down

CEF Profile Scale Speed Rules Question

Post  modelbuilder49 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:08 pm

Greetings!  Well, here's another question!  I've read what I could find on this site and Stunt Hangar but I've reached a point where I need clarification.  Based upon the rules of some other 1/2A contests, I've read where they require the use of .008 or .012 lines and AMA for certain classes requires single strand wire.  Most of the kits I've seen and built were good with the dacron line (yes, it's stretchy) like that sold by Sig.  Now there's an entry on one of the threads about using 15# Spectra!!  Neutral
I'm not sure which way to go!!  Have you any suggestions? confused  I'd sure appreciate it because I'm about to test a couple of my "winning" platforms!!  Wink

Jim Carter
avatar
modelbuilder49
Silver Member
Silver Member

Posts : 93
Join date : 2013-09-12
Age : 68
Location : Titusville Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  pkrankow on Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:42 pm

On modelaircraft.org under contest rules

under CL general 20# GSUMP is the lightest line mentioned.

under CL Speed there in no mention of GSUMP

GSUMP is a generic term for Spectra or Dyneema

Since this is a correspondence event and more a fun fly than anything, then I would recommend sticking with 20# test or the indicated wire size by model weight.

I believe the rules here on CEF state a 2-line system. Single line systems are hard to obtain, since handles are not manufactured anymore.


Phil
avatar
pkrankow
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2914
Join date : 2012-10-02
Location : Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  modelbuilder49 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:04 pm

pkrankow wrote:On modelaircraft.org under contest rules

under CL general 20# GSUMP is the lightest line mentioned.

under CL Speed there in no mention of GSUMP

GSUMP is a generic term for Spectra or Dyneema

Since this is a correspondence event and more a fun fly than anything, then I would recommend sticking with 20# test or the indicated wire size by model weight.  

I believe the rules here on CEF state a 2-line system.  Single line systems are hard to obtain, since handles are not manufactured anymore.

Thanks!  I spent some more time reviewing all of the various rules and it seems like .012 stranded cable and .010 solids appear to be the common denominators.  I had some 80# SpiderWire that I used to make a set of 35' lines just to get in a couple of test flights today before it started raining.  Man was I shocked .... there was some serious bow in the lines which I assume is a result of drag because the plane seemed to fly fine without dipping in towards me due to the weight of the lines.  I tried again using the Sig Dacron lines and other than the "stretchiness" the performance was much better with minimal bow in the lines.  Unfortunately I didn't time the flights; maybe I'll remember to do that the next time I get to go "play"!!  Looks like I'm going to have to invest in some stranded cable and some 20# Spectra to see which gives the best performance.  

Phil
avatar
modelbuilder49
Silver Member
Silver Member

Posts : 93
Join date : 2013-09-12
Age : 68
Location : Titusville Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: CEF Profile Scale Speed 2015!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum