Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Evo 40/46 Remote NVA Fits McCoy 35 Red Head - Page 3 Cox_ba12

Evo 40/46 Remote NVA Fits McCoy 35 Red Head - Page 3 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Evo 40/46 Remote NVA Fits McCoy 35 Red Head - Page 3 Empty
Live on Patrol

Evo 40/46 Remote NVA Fits McCoy 35 Red Head

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Thinking Re: Evo 40/46 Remote NVA Fits McCoy 35 Red Head

Post  getback Sat May 02, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks Chellie ! for the tips and tricks I have some that will bee needed attention Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat May 02, 2015 10:11 pm

CHELLIE wrote:A Few Tips I have learned on Restoring the 19 to 40 Red/Blue Head McCoy Engines. Post CHELLIE Today at 4:23 am. Hi Everyone Smile I just wanted to pass on a few tips I have learned on working with the McCoy Engines, [....] Hope this info helps to restore your McCoy Engines, Take care, Chellie
Thanks Chellie for all this wealth of info. I had no idea on the mechanisms of your methodology, brilliant! Thumbs Up

It is okay for me to forward your post to the Brotherhood of the Ring? I think they would really appreciate it.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  CHELLIE Sun May 03, 2015 3:46 am

getback wrote:Thanks Chellie ! for the tips and tricks I have some that will bee needed attention Thumbs Up  

Its my Pleasure to share info that I have learned on the McCoy Engines Very Happy Please feel free to ask questions, if I know the answer, I will be glad to pass it along Very Happy Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE
CHELLIE
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CHELLIE Sun May 03, 2015 3:51 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
CHELLIE wrote:A Few Tips I have learned on Restoring the 19 to 40 Red/Blue Head McCoy Engines. Post CHELLIE Today at 4:23 am. Hi Everyone Smile I just wanted to pass on a few tips I have learned on working with the McCoy Engines, [....] Hope this info helps to restore your McCoy Engines, Take care, Chellie
Thanks Chellie for all this wealth of info. I had no idea on the mechanisms of your methodology, brilliant! Thumbs Up

It is okay for me to forward your post to the, I think they would really appreciate it.

Hi Very Happy  Please feel free to Pass on any Info that I have given Here that will help others with their McCoy Engines Very Happy  Take care and have fun, Chellie
CHELLIE
CHELLIE
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:12 pm

Chellie, shortly after you posted, I created threads of your post to Stunt Hangar, Stuka Stunt, Hip Pocket Aeronautics and may be another (RCU or RCG).

Today I was only able to get in 1 flight early morning with the Ringmaster S-1, before winds picked up at the MADS R/C Field. I left setting where I bench ran it, 4 cycle barely breaking into 2. Worked like a charm and needle held its setting, broke into 2 in onset of a stunt and back to 4 returning to level flight. Last minute of flight, it leaned out slightly breaking into 2 back to 4 when heading into and away from the wind, so I'll need to tweak the needle slightly richer.

I've got a winner. (Sorry, no flight photos, was alone.)

Evo 40/46 Remote NVA Fits McCoy 35 Red Head - Page 3 S1_rep10

I'll need to repair the wing saddle area. wing joint is cracked. Coverite Balsarite doesn't have sufficient shear strength. Top of Micafilm is glued to wing joing, but bottom at planking is where separation occurred. I'll figure a way to permanently repair. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  CHELLIE Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:47 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Chellie, shortly after you posted, I created threads of your post to Stunt Hangar, Stuka Stunt, Hip Pocket Aeronautics and may be another (RCU or RCG).

Today I was only able to get in 1 flight early morning with the Ringmaster S-1, before winds picked up at the MADS R/C Field. I left setting where I bench ran it, 4 cycle barely breaking into 2. Worked like a charm and needle held its setting, broke into 2 in onset of a stunt and back to 4 returning to level flight. Last minute of flight, it leaned out slightly breaking into 2 back to 4 when heading into and away from the wind, so I'll need to tweak the needle slightly richer.

I've got a winner. (Sorry, no flight photos, was alone.)

Evo 40/46 Remote NVA Fits McCoy 35 Red Head - Page 3 S1_rep10

I'll need to repair the wing saddle area. wing joint is cracked. Coverite Balsarite doesn't have sufficient shear strength. Top of Micafilm is glued to wing joing, but bottom at planking is where separation occurred. I'll figure a way to permanently repair. Very Happy

Nice looking plane Smile Feel free to post any info I contribute, some of the info is from online forums and some is mine, share , share ,share Smile  to fix your wing Saddle, Mix some micro baloon or lite weight spackle with some 5 or 30 min epoxy, it works great, its a old trick for forming wing saddles and gussets, try to slot the balsa fuselage and insert some thin plywood to make the fuselage stronger, epoxy the plywood in place, hope that helps, Take care and have fun, Chellie
CHELLIE
CHELLIE
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Thinking EVO Remote NVA for McCoy 35 Alternative?

Post  roadrunnered Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:03 am

Hi, new here to the forum... Really like the idea of the remote NVA for my McCoy 35 Redhead... Any alternatives to the EVO brand? Can't seem to find a source for that one. I have seen the OS MAX NEEDLE VALVE BODY ASSY WITH NEEDLE 40-46 on EBAY...
Any help would be appreciated!
roadrunnered
roadrunnered

https://godsbattlefield.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:04 am

A few things to keep in mind when using a remote needle valve assembly. My post is not to persuade you in any way, just my general findings. Most remote setups generally only work on profile plane but can be made to work on full bodied planes with modifications which can be somewhat difficult. If attached to the backplate, the needle doesn't always have the option to be switched back from left to right side. OS made two versions of their setup. Earlier versions used a separate metal bracket while later versions used a solid cast plastic backplate.

Not all Mccoy stock needle valves were the same. The center portion of the spraybar is turned down on the Mccoy setups. These were changed throughout the years and some Mccoy engines have a reducer within the venturi area of the case. The more throat area, the more power, also the less ability to adequately draw fuel properly. The majority of Mccoy engines I generally see use a spraybar dimension of around .137". The OS assembly measures out to about .139" even though slightly bigger, probably not enough to see a difference on the Mccoy. I personally use the Super Tiger which is a .156" all the way across and lose the venturi reducer.

I've found the OS and Evo setups offer a bit of lag in adjustment. In addition, they've offered a slight hiccup in the most inopportune times such as in the top of the maneuver. I totally dislike them  so I never use them. I've also found them to be problematic during starting due to the fuel always wanting to siphon back into the tank requiring the needle to opened up slightly to start. I have two Evo .36's which without even seeing I would think  that this is the same needle that the suggested  .46 uses. Horizon hobbies has discontinued many of these parts. The bracket breaks extremely easy . The metal is extremely weak.

I have not used the remote assembly on a Mccoy nor would I ever. While the stock needle on the Mccoy isn't quite the precision piece of jewelry, it works rather well assuming there's no air leaks. Keep in mind when going to a remote setup is that you increase the chances of air leaks in multiple areas opposed to just a few on the stock setups.  OS also made the conventional up front assembly for the OS engines from the .20-.46. The up front assembly far outweighs the remote assembly in terms of performance. The OS remote has too coarse of threads in my opinion  compared to the up front version not too mention the taper of the needle is broader. Just as the engine is coming up on rpm's , it quickly falls on it's face due to fuel starvation. It works, but not like the up front conventional version.

Experimentation is everything. Your flying style also determines your engine needs. I place a lot of emphasis on 1-2 flip starting and back to back reliability. I go to the field to fly and not be a mechanic. While the Mccoy isn't my choice for flying, I have them and I still use them mainly for the nostalgic events that our club holds.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Remote NVA for a McCoy 35 Redhead...

Post  roadrunnered Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:28 am

Ken: Thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response to my subject question. I've been researching this subject via the "lurk mode" over the past few weeks and since I'm returning to the control line model airplane hobby (passion!) I'm excited to join this forum. I've already gained a lot of catch up knowledge just by reading the posts on this forum, but I'd rather actively participate.

As a matter of history, I was exposed to model airplane building and flying by my grandfather who I lived with on our farm in central California (Turlock) My grandfather loved aviation. He was born in 1896 so he was amazed as a child when he heard that man was flying in machines. Anyway, he was learning to fly control line and build balsa wood models in the mid-50's. He had a Thimble Drome TD-4 trainer, a Thimble Drome Super Cub 105, a Curtiss Pusher and a Walker Fire Baby... But the planes he built were masterpieces... A Jim Walker Firecat, A Sterling Ringmaster, and a Top Flite Flite Streak that we built together. The Flite Streak was mine, but I wasn't allowed to fly until I had many hours on the TD-4 (many rubber bands were destroyed in some awesome crashes!) The Flite Streak was powered by a brand new McCoy 35 Redhead and I was so proud of it.. and it ran like a bat out of H...! He and I spent many hours together driving to our local schoolyards to fly our planes, and whenever we pulled up and started to unload and setup, all the neighborhood kids would come running, yelling "Mr. Johnson is here!" I really cherish that time I spent with him...and now I am jumping back into that wonderful world... and I am hoping that I can inspire my grandkids and the local neighborhood kids the way he did...

So, I am looking forward to this journey back into time via these great relics from our past...

I'm presently finishing up restoring a PT-19 to get my feet wet and shake the cobwebs out on my flying skills...at the same time I've been busy on EBAY buying an assortment of Cox .049s and McCoy 19 and 35 Redheads so as to have a few engines to power some new builds (1/2A and larger)

By reading all the wonderful content on these forums (Cox and and others) I can see that technology has progressed in model airplane building and flying just like in all other aspects of our lives... I'm trending on staying "old school" but want to use the new stuff where it benefits, of course.

I've been cleaning up my .049s and McCoy Redheads and have encountered issues with fuel flow and metering due to the old needle valve technology... Thus the interest in the remote NVA approach...

Ken, you make some very good points regarding the use of the remotes and I will weigh the issues. And I'll probably have more questions...like may I should be looking at newer NVA's for the engines rather than going remote....?

Anyway, thank you for the great response.....
Ed
roadrunnered
roadrunnered

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:48 am

Ed, I think your flying style would be perfect for a remote setup like the OS assembly. If your older and possibly shaky hands, even better. Safety is of the utmost importance. I have some very large hands and fingers and even though I'm capable of up front adjustments, I've had my share of hand whacks. Keep in mind, USE A GLOVE to start your engines. The Mccoy be it the .19 or .35 wants to start wet therefore it can offer a good backfire and a glove like those suede gauntlet style work gloves earns it's keep. Especially returning, your skills will improve with more time but until then, keeping it in the air is important. Just keep in mind especially if you have possibly kept older support equipment that older nylon props should be discarded. Finding proper oil content fuel for the Mccoy is a bit hard to source. You want to keep that oil content at least 25% all castor. Flite Streaks are my favorite and I love them all big to small.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Remote NVA for a McCoy 35 Redhead...

Post  roadrunnered Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:32 am

Ken: points well taken on our physical age versus the age our mind thinks we are... I have a 70+ body with a 17 year old mind...Gets me in trouble all the time! But I still get around pretty well these days..still bowling and keeping the house and grounds up.. and I am definitely using good leather gloves to start the McCoys... My grandpa always told me that he used a glove on those "cantankerous and unruly" starting McCoys... All his Fox, Enya and OS engines were happy... not the McCoys...

Regarding the remote NVA issue...I've ordered up an OS remote NVA and also a couple of Enya's .15-.19 K&B,15-35,& McCOY .19-.40 NV ASSY C/L NIP. PART # 15220 to do a side by side analysis of pros and cons.. I'll publish the results... I'm also looking at a removable venturi fitted so that you can adjust the ID to your liking, without removing the spray bar. Should be fun trying all this, as I'm kind of a "fiddler" engineer type...

regarding your comment on castor content for running the McCoys...We used to run KB fuel many years ago, but I see that now fuel is totally different in mix.. I ordered up some Brodek 15% Nitro 11.5% Castor 11.5% Synthetic just to get me going...But I would appreciate the "scoop" on what everyone is using these days...

During my "lurk" days reading the forums I saw that "Chellie" was very involved in all things McCoy.. But I also noticed that her posts were all 2015-ish and earlier... Is she still active? She really seemed to be a great source of info...

Looking forward to more discussion!
Ed
roadrunnered
roadrunnered

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:13 am

Ed, the fuel you just purchased is a mix of synthetic and castor.  I also noted that your in San Antonio, you have two of the best fuel manufacturers in the world located in your area. Ritch's brew ( Randy Ritch)  and VP Powermaster. Randy being familiar with control line knows engines and proper percentages.  Many will suggest that your current purchase is incorrect for using on older vintage iron piston engines. I personally use the 50/50 mix myself (Powermaster brand)  and I've been doing so for 25 years. Your choice of 15% nitro is a bit high in my opinion but certainly not out of the question. I say this due to the heat of San Antonio.  Generally for stunt, I use 5-10% nitro. A Fox .35 is somewhat being put to the test on 15% nitro, this is the percentage where I've noted that the crankshaft likes to break. It doesn't happen often, but I've seen them split across the square cutout on the shaft intake. I've run Mccoy's on 50/50 fuel with good results. The Mccoy is also one engine that I do run all castor in due to it's metallurgy. I do so for a few reasons.  The piston unlike the Fox .35 is comprised of powder that's essentially squashed in a mold under high pressure and heat forming it. While many think it's mythical, it's been noted that they can wear out in one run. I have had this happen to myself so I can assure you it's no myth on my end.

Different runs of different years made lots of differences. There were times these engines were being sold at a very inexpensive cost. Some were good, some not so good. Engines like the Mccoy, older Fox .35's, K&B Torpedos, all utilized brass end pads on the wrist pin ends. While it worked, it was short lived and if worn to the point of through the rivet head, it would detach and cut grooves in the cylinder walls. This is very important to insure these are in good shape.

Chellie hasn't been active on here for some time. She makes a quality repro gasket set and offers instructions on how to fix your Mccoy. Keep in mind that the methods are probably equal to the Geico caveman. As I stated, there's no replacement parts. Therefore any attempt I suppose  is suitable. The Mccoy uses a domed piston. While this isn't Chellie's idea, many give credit to her, the idea is to hammer the top of the piston essentially squashing it. I have tried it and have successfully made the engine run. I will say the engine didn't run like it did when it was new or newer or last long enough to make any of the engines credible. What I will say though is that due to Mccoy's use of paper and fiber gaskets, these can be more responsible for the lack of compression that many suggest is the worn out piston. Chellie's kits are top notch. She even offers the nylon buttons on the back of the rod.

There really is no way to successfully squash the crown of the piston and do so evenly. In addition, the piston likes to crack at the intersection of the baffle. Once you smash the piston with your hammer, you use a lapping compound to essentially wear your now out of round piston to the more than probably out of round cheap cylinder. Basically wearing two ovals together until they fit. This essentially leaves a compressed area smaller than a 1/8" that now wedges itself into the cylinder walls leaving you an engine that runs from anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 flights before it's shot. It generally sags due to poor fitment.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3