Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Awaking my TD .09  Cox_ba12

Awaking my TD .09  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Awaking my TD .09  Empty
Live on Patrol

Awaking my TD .09

Go down

Awaking my TD .09  Empty Awaking my TD .09

Post  TDbandit Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:18 am

Today is somewhat decent so I decided to give my TD 09 a little exercise and man I forgot how loud it was It's been years since I've run it. Anyway here's a couple of pic, one sitting in wait and the next burning some nitro Smile
Awaking my TD .09  Td_09_11

Awaking my TD .09  Td_09_10
Here it is popping off that nitro. Kills that syringe in 45 sec lol I'll have a video of it running as soon as I figure out why it began surging all of a sudden after the pic was taken. (Bandit)

(Edit) Well I found what was causing the surging, After looking the engine over I noticed that the dang plastic carb body had split at the threaded portion just under the NV block. DAMMIT! The split goes down past the threads on the venturi so it had developed a mean air leak. To be honest I'm really suprized that it kept running, bummer and it don't look like Bernie or Matt has one. Anyone know where I can lay my hands on one??

Last edited by TDbandit on Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Awaking my TD .09  Empty Re: Awaking my TD .09

Post  RknRusty Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:13 pm

I have a couple of them and never fired them up. Never seen one run in real life either. I think I'll give it a try this weekend. One of them has some slight contact at bdc between the piston skirt and the backplate. I don't know why, but will investigate.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:45 pm

Bandit ,Maybe it is camra shy
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:23 pm

RknRusty wrote:I have a couple of them and never fired them up. Never seen one run in real life either. I think I'll give it a try this weekend. One of them has some slight contact at bdc between the piston skirt and the backplate. I don't know why, but will investigate.
Skirt interference with the back plate?? Haven't seen that yet Could it be something down in the case? (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:50 pm

I don't know. I took it apart and inspected all the parts, it all looked okay, so I put it back together. It still did it so I chucked it into a drawer for another da...year. Now you got me interested so I'll dig it out and have another look. And run the other one. They're both nice looking engines that were given to me. I bet it's a slightly bent rod that I didn't notice the first time. Somebody might have hydrolocked it and slammed it with a starter.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:45 pm

RknRusty wrote:I don't know. I took it apart and inspected all the parts, it all looked okay, so I put it back together. It still did it so I chucked it into a drawer for another da...year. Now you got me interested so I'll dig it out and have another look. And run the other one. They're both nice looking engines that were given to me. I bet it's a slightly bent rod that I didn't notice the first time. Somebody might have hydrolocked it and slammed it with a starter.
Rusty
That is very possible and if it is indeed a bent rod, check the crank too. I've seen them crack around the pin when slammed with a starter while hydra-locked. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:33 am

I have seen the piston hit the backplate on a well used Queen Bee.
As the piston wears against the conrod and is reset, it will sit lower and lower in the bore....
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:59 am

Matter of fact come to think of it, I had that happen with one of my well used BW's which ended up punching a hole in the top of the piston. That there is a possibility as well.

BTW, Do anyone know where I can get a new carb body? the surging I experienced was caused by a split which runs down below the threaded portion of the venturi and I've looked on both Matt's site as well as Bernie's and I didn't see one. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:18 am

Surfer_kris wrote:I have seen the piston hit the backplate on a well used Queen Bee.
As the piston wears against the conrod and is reset, it will sit lower and lower in the bore....
I'll look for that, Thanks Kris.

TDbandit wrote:BTW, Do anyone know where I can get a new carb body? the surging I experienced was caused by a split which runs down below the threaded portion of the venturi and I've looked on both Matt's site as well as Bernie's and I didn't see one. (Bandit)
If you can't find one you can sleeve the neck with a piece of aluminum tube and JB-Weld. If it goes beneath the neck I don't know if you can seal it up with JB or not. Maybe spreading it slightly and forcing the glue into the crack.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:40 am

RknRusty wrote:If you can't find one you can sleeve the neck with a piece of aluminum tube and JB-Weld. If it goes beneath the neck I don't know if you can seal it up with JB or not. Maybe spreading it slightly and forcing the glue into the crack.
Rusty

If you can't find aluminum tubing you can also use copper wire. You might need to "rough up" the nylon with sand paper to make the JB-Weld stick. Ugly but works.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:13 pm

RknRusty wrote:
Surfer_kris wrote:I have seen the piston hit the backplate on a well used Queen Bee.
I'll look for that, Thanks Kris.

TDbandit wrote:BTW, Do anyone know where I can get a new carb body? the surging I experienced was caused by a split which runs down below the threaded portion of the venturi and I've looked on both Matt's site as well as Bernie's and I didn't see one. (Bandit)
If you can't find one you can sleeve the neck with a piece of aluminum tube and JB-Weld. If it goes beneath the neck I don't know if you can seal it up with JB or not. Maybe spreading it slightly and forcing the glue into the crack.
Rusty

Thanks I didn't think of that. I'm still hunting for a plastic body hopefully i'll find one. I'll try the aluminum sleeve method you mention if I can't. You'll enjoy running the 09 BTW just watch the finger's It can be a biter lol. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:38 am

Mike Parkin can provide you with a aluminum body for the .09. He may not have them listed currently on Ebay. Cost is going to be more than the stock plastic. Mike's name on Ebay is Ridenfligh. If interested in that route I would certainly check with him. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum