Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Cox_ba12

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Empty
Live on Patrol

OS Max III .29 steel-fin

Go down

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Empty OS Max III .29 steel-fin

Post  roddie Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:32 pm

My uncle gave me this engine some 20 years ago. It was first introduced in 1959. This one has a "62-D" stamped under the R/H mounting lug though. There has been some speak of venturi size/shape in some engine threads lately.. and this engine has "by far" the largest venturi of any that I own.. (I don't have many engines...  Laughing ) The compression is pretty good.. whereas I can barely turn it through; by just rotating the drive-plate.

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Os_max10
OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Os_max11
OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Dsc02444
OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Os_max12
OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Dsc02445
OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Dsc02446
OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Dsc02447
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Empty Re: OS Max III .29 steel-fin

Post  Ken Cook Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Roddie, the Max III's came with a aluminum restrictor within the venturi area. It was installed and the spraybar assembly went through it and retained it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:17 am

I don't have this engine model myself, but here is a picture from the web that shows the restriction;

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  U002f_10
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:27 am

The early Enya .09s use a very similar style restrictor, although obviously smaller. The restrictor is possibly for using the engine for stunt where consistent fuel draw is required, rather than speed which may suit a larger venturi. Of course, without the restrictor it may require pressure.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:19 am

Beautiful engine Roddie!  Here is an RC version of your engine's father, a 1957 OS Max 29 II.  This had one of their first throttles, a sheet steel choke, no fuel metering, and a rotating barrel exhaust valve.

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Os_max11
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:59 am

That's a nice engine (GWILLIEFOX)!! I haven't seen a throttle set-up like that before. Is it yours by chance?

Oldenginerod wrote:The early Enya .09s use a very similar style restrictor, although obviously smaller.  The restrictor is possibly for using the engine for stunt where consistent fuel draw is required, rather than speed which may suit a larger venturi.  Of course, without the restrictor it may require pressure.

Ken, Kris and Rod, I'll have to ask my Uncle where he originally got the engine and if he remembers if it had a restrictor. I do notice now; what appears to be two grooves (machined/worn from vibration?) on the spraybar, just inside the wall of the venturi's throat. Maybe these are indicators that a restrictor was there?

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Dsc02448

My uncle flew some stunt back in the 60's.. but especially "combat/stunt". There's a possibility that the Max III engine was on this airplane at one time.. a Veco Renegade that he gave me just recently.

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Veco_r11

The last engine that was on this model was his Super Tiger .35 running crankcase pressure (my uncle wouldn't part with that.. Sad )
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:07 am

GWILLIEFOX wrote:Beautiful engine Roddie!  Here is an RC version of your engine's father, a 1957 OS Max 29 II.  This had one of their first throttles, a sheet steel choke, no fuel metering, and a rotating barrel exhaust valve.
Interesting back then that in order to obtain a reliable idle would resort to a movable exhaust restrictor baffle, back in the days that such unmuffled noise was considered as healthy noise. This is not much different than our modern Cox .049 engines using an exhaust ring restrictor for idle. The choke throttle is not much different than Bernie's Sure Start choke tube throttle.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:25 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
Interesting back then that in order to obtain a reliable idle would resort to a movable exhaust restrictor baffle, back in the days that such unmuffled noise was considered as healthy noise. This is not much different than our modern Cox .049 engines using an exhaust ring restrictor for idle. The choke throttle is not much different than Bernie's Sure Start choke tube throttle.

I think the exhaust restriction was needed to maintain the heat on the plug when it was choked and running very rich. Or alternatively viewed, the choke is needed to maintain enough fuel draw at the reduced rpm from the exhaust restriction. The throttled Cox medallion engines used the same idea (see below).

And yes, more than 50 years later the sure start engines can now be choked too...

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Img_1710
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike1484 Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Restricting the exhaust is a good way to throttle a motor . So is bleeding off crank case pressure . Both ways where used in the Navy carrier events in the 50's and 60's . I used the Max.35 and Super Tigres and McCoy .60 in Navy carrier When I first started to fly in the 60's . The .29 and .35 max are still used for certain free flight events . Strong running motors they are .

Mike1484
Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

OS Max III .29 steel-fin  Empty OS Max III 29 Muffler

Post  chip58123 Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:58 am

I have the same OS Max III 29 but with out the muffler.  Do I need to locate one for it to run reliably or is it designed to to run with out.  I have never run it nor do I even remember where I found it.  Someone put a Perry Carb on it for RC, and I will be using it on an RC plane possibly an LT 25 Kadt.
chip58123
chip58123

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:11 pm

chip58123 I would think it will run just fine without the muffler but .. I always run muffler w/pressure and to deflect that excess nitro/castor exhaust ! some also use an extension (hose) to point exhaust to the ground .. Welcome to the Forum! . Do a intro so we can all welcome you . Eric RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:06 pm

A few thoughts:

Without the restrictor, you will probably need to run pressure. This can be bladder pressure like used in Combat or crankcase pressure. The place in the backplate with the number 1 above it is the recommended place for tapping for crankcase pressure. I would recommend bladder pressure.

In the fifties, engine manufacturers as well as home-made versions by modelers tried various combinations to control speed. Cox used the two needle system on the Thermal Hopper. Fox and (I think) K&B used the two needle setup also.

Some tried a flapper valve, some tried an exhaust restrictor...both worked to some extent. The version above on the Max was also used on my MAX-II .15. Results were so-so, but it DID throttle. The MAX-III .15 had a real adjustable throttle and a variable exhaust restrictor. I believe the larger versions did also.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down