Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

building surfaces Cox_ba12

building surfaces Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

building surfaces Empty
Live on Patrol

building surfaces

Go down

building surfaces Empty building surfaces

Post  steve thornton Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:57 pm

I have been building a Baby Flite Streak for my Tee Dee .051, and I really appreciate all the help I've gotten on the forum and especially from Rusty. I have been building on glass or with magnets for a while, and didn't have the right size jig for the FS, and the wing just isn't as straight as I would be happy with. I hate to stick pins into small pieces of wood...how do you like to build the smaller planes? Do you like pins and if so, what surface material do you pin them on? I would also like to move more of my assembly into the living room instead of the cold/hot garage. Ideas?

Thanks Steve
steve thornton
steve thornton
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

building surfaces Empty Re: building surfaces

Post  roddie Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:47 am

Something cheap and easy to find would be a piece of sheetrock/wallboard. Keep an eye out for where there's building-construction going on nearby.. and watch for wallboard being delivered. Scrap/cut-offs of the size you'd need could be found in the job-site dumpster.. or around the job-site after hours.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dirk gently Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:25 am

Exactly, it's called "plaster-paper sheet", and it's exactly what it is, easy to get and cheap in home-depot. Dead flat and accepts pins easily.
dirk gently
dirk gently
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  steve thornton Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:43 pm

Thanks guys I have a friend who is a contractor...
Steve
steve thornton
steve thornton
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:24 am

I use a hollow core door for my building surface, the pins go all the way in and are held captive inside the door.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:50 am

Right now its glass with cling wrap for glue spillage Smile Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:01 am

I use a lot of wax paper when building. A 12" x 36" sheet of wallboard with a sheet of wax paper thumb-tacked to it with push-pins at the corners, makes a nice little building board. You can see through the wax paper, in case you have a building-plan underneath it.

My fuse jigs have graph paper with a wax paper overlay. This 1/2A size fuse-jig measures 6" x 24" and is built similar to the larger RCM type that I built.

building surfaces Rcm_fu10

The graph paper has a center-line drawn.. which helps to build your fuse nice and straight.

building surfaces Rcm_fu11

Of course; no "pins" are involved with this building fixture. The clamps slide-in to hold the sides against the bulkheads while the glue sets. I used common 3/8" wide EDPM weather-strip on the faces of the clamps, which provides extra spring-clamping action and also won't mark the soft balsawood fuse sides.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:52 pm

I really like the look of that jig and it looks as if you used "hardboard" with the smooth side inside for the clamps.

I couldn't work out what sheetrock was. It appears to be a trade name adopted as a generic term for what we refer to as plasterboard. (a bit like the word biro or hoover).

There are trade names such as Gyproc but generally we would just ask for plasterboard.

Enough of the vagaries of US english!

How long does the plasterboard last? The stuff here is not what I would call "self healing". The centre is gypsum and would crumble with repeat pin holes. I have to say I would never have thought of using it as a modelling board and yet I have used many sheets for drywalling.

My preference is Sundeala. Sundeala is a unique pin board made from 100% waste paper with a quality sanded surface offering a suede like pre-finish. It holds pins really well, won't last forever, but for a very long time with repeated pinning.

A perfectionist chap I know uses glass on a sheet of steel together with various jigs employing very powerful tiny magnets. Mind you, that set up was expensive - the neodymium magnets weren't cheap! He sends me drawings of the parts he wants with the magnets and I "print" them.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:26 pm

ian1954 wrote:I really like the look of that jig and it looks as if you used "hardboard" with the smooth side inside for the clamps.

I couldn't work out what sheetrock was. It appears to be a trade name adopted as a generic term for what we refer to as plasterboard. (a bit like the word biro or hoover).

There are trade names such as Gyproc but generally we would just ask for plasterboard.

Enough of the vagaries of US english!

How long does the plasterboard last? The stuff here is not what I would call "self healing". The centre is gypsum and would crumble with repeat pin holes. I have to say I would never have thought of using it as a modelling board and yet I have used many sheets for drywalling.

My preference is Sundeala. Sundeala is a unique pin board made from 100% waste paper with a quality sanded surface offering a suede like pre-finish. It holds pins really well, won't last forever, but for a very long time with repeated pinning.

A perfectionist chap I know uses glass on a sheet of steel together with various jigs employing very powerful tiny magnets. Mind you, that set up was expensive - the neodymium magnets weren't cheap! He sends me drawings of the parts he wants with the magnets and I "print" them.

Hi Ian, you are correct about the clamp material being hardboard.. and yes; the smooth side faces "in". The most expensive parts to building a jig like this are the carriage-bolts, wing-nuts and flat-washers. The clamps; I actually assembled using thin double-sided "film-tape".

The "Gypsum" board is the same basic thing I was referring to as wall-board or "sheet-rock".. as we call it here. It is a very cheap alternative to a self-healing type mat.. especially where small "cut-off" pieces are thrown away, that are often of a size that would be useful for a building-board.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:37 am

I laminated cellulose Homasote onto a large piece of 3/4" MDF which is on top of 1/2" glass. This takes pins far superior and holds better than ceiling tiles and drywall. I've found that  drywall can quickly dull your X-acto blades and when glue sticks to it, the paper lifts off of the gypsum. Drywall manufacturers are also making a move to a lighter core. I see this growing quickly in popularity, This is USG Ultralight.  While the sheets are 1/3 of the weight, the core is very very hard which can make pin placement less than desirable. Homasote is a brand name and can easily be confused for several of the products they manufacturer. The product I'm making reference to is one we use in new elevators for temporary protection. I'm sure temporary protection is not the purpose of this product. It's gray in color in looks like paper mache which is compressed tightly. What I found is that after 10 years of use on my table, if any spills of adhesive epoxy or yellow glues easily pick off of the substrate and I can take a coarse sanding block with 40 grit and go over the table which cleans it giving it a new appearance without dishing it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down