Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine - Page 16 Cox_ba12

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine - Page 16 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine - Page 16 Empty
Live on Patrol

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine

Page 16 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 31  Next

Go down

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine - Page 16 Empty Re: Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:12 pm

Maybe you could abandon the pulley system in favor of a geared setup. It would take some engineering, but could be designed to leave the dynamo dis-engaged during startup and then slide gears into place to run the dynamo.

Or.... Run a slip belt system. Kind of like a riding lawnmower where the drive belt is slack until you throw the lever and it tightens the belt to slowly apply the load.

Just a thought.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine - Page 16 Empty Re: Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:21 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Maybe you could abandon the pulley system in favor of a geared setup. It would take some engineering, but could be designed to leave the dynamo dis-engaged during startup and then slide gears into place to run the dynamo.

Or.... Run a slip belt system. Kind of like a riding lawnmower where the drive belt is slack until you throw the lever and it tightens the belt to slowly apply the load.

Just a thought.

Thank you for your responce.

Clutch by moving gears or moving pulleys one twards another until they grip is a good idea yet not very easy to do in home environment.

Slipping belt through guides and tightening is also a good idea, not as difficult to do but not easy either. Greasing the belt for initial slip is easier and can be done.

I have also noticed the engine starts easier with a loose tension belt either because the belt slips initially or because the belt does not push the propeller axel and the rotor towards their housings or the two thereof. The lower portion of a loose and elastic belt vibrates a lot. Guides are a good idea.

For now, I would like to know whether a higher percentage of Ether would start the engine with the dynamo easier. Please comment and give some percentages even without a test, only thoughts.

I have also noticed the Cetane Booster makes the engine start more difficult but helps sustain the work.

Thus, I think, I would increasethe amount of Ether to 45 or even 50% and decrease the amount of Cetane Booster to 2.5%. Thus, without the Cetane Booster, the rest of the components would be 45% Ether, 30% Kerosene, 25% Castor Oil or 50% Ether, 25% Kerosene, 25% Castor Oil.

Do you think these fuels would make the start easier as well ss allow for a continuous run? For now, I am not concerned with the fuel energy.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.Steven-Stanley-Bayes.com

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:26 pm

for more power you need more kerosene
the ether only makes it run hotter

i use 1-1-1
and no boosters
my engine is direct drive
and has more then enough power to start and run with it

i would decrese the ether to 25% and increse the kerosene
and for starting use a 75% ether 25% castor mix (as so i am told on a other forum)

my engine just starts after the right choke even on a 7.2V battery (witch is almost to weak to pull it trough the compression)
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:43 pm

robot797 wrote:for more power you need more kerosene
the ether only makes it run hotter

i use 1-1-1
and no boosters
my engine is direct drive
and has more then enough power to start and run with it

i would decrese the ether to 25% and increse the kerosene
and for starting use a 75% ether 25% castor mix (as so i am told on a other forum)

my engine just starts after the right choke even on a 7.2V battery (witch is almost to weak to pull it trough the compression)

Thank you for the start up fuel of 75% Ether and 25% Castor Oil. This says a lot.

You have chosen the right mixture of 1 to 1 to 1. You get good power and good protection. You can afford this because you use a battery start although the battery is not of high voltage and can only overcome the compressions.

With a spring start one must not only ignite the fuel immediatelly but the engine must have enough power to go through the next compressions and ignite. This is difficult with a spring start.

After your input, I will definitely use more Ether.

I wish I have a pull start or a handle crank start. I tried to use a drillcas a starter but unsuccessfully.

For your setup, another way to start your engine may be to have an electric dril with a wheel of some sort to touch and rotate your flywheel. This is as a secondary way to do the job. Your battery start up is fantastic.

Can you find some 12V motorbike or a tiny size car battery to start thevengine as opposed to the 7.2V battery you currently use?
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:56 pm

i wanted to keep it portable
do i chose a 7.2V battery
i have bought a 8.4 just to test if it is easyer

and when i have my buck converter i can finaly do some power tests

my generator puts out 16-30V and i want a constand 12V

i will also place a ntc inline with the engine
this way the load gets applyed slowly instead of instand
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:05 pm

StevenStanleyBayes wrote:Yes. I am to be blamed. I screwed up the fuel.

Regardless. Managed to start the engine with different settings but without the dynamo. The engine worked perfectly with the new fuel and allowed for a wide range of control by all three controls.

However, the system could not start with the dynamo because of the 2 to 1 pulley ratio, 2 for the engine pulley and 1 for the dynamo.

The dynamo puts a big load to the engine which the engine cannot overcome at start. Still managed to start the system but for a few seconds only. Was unable to sustain and I was unable to react quickly to switch the electrical load.

Considering I have to run the dynamo with 4 to 1 pulley ratio,  even higher, 6 to 1 welcome, I am disillusioned and I am not sure I would be able to ever start the engine with the dynamo. Will see but looks impossible now.

I was reading this thread weeks ago, where you mentioned treating the belt with some type of lube to slip "initially".. then grab. Maybe a "wax" would work? Maybe even a crayon? A crayon or small tapered candle could possibly be rubbed on the belt without removal.. and would burn-off after a few seconds of running?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:00 pm

robot797 wrote:i wanted to keep it portable
do i chose a 7.2V battery
i have bought a 8.4 just to test if it is easyer

and when i have my buck converter i can finaly do some power tests

my generator puts out 16-30V and i want a constand 12V

i will also place a ntc inline with the engine
this way the load gets applyed slowly instead of instand

What is an NTC?

A good dynamo will be able to give you 12VDC with some load when you get 16 to 30V without a load. Your dynamo looks big and powerful as well as looks like there are internal gears to reduce the RPM at the expence of torque.

You may wish to lower the RPM by reducing the compression, then to put a load, then to increase the RPM thus increasing the voltage thus the power slowly. This is without a regulator or with a regulator before regulation.

With a rlossless egulator which always regukates, you may wish to increase the RPM before applying the load.

I have found the engine works more consistently at low compression when load is applied ( during a stress ) and then you can increase the compression after the initial stress.

The flywheel will definitely help you overcome the load stress as well as the inertia of the dynamo.

Because you have an electric start, you can even start the engine with the load applied to the dynamo. This way, the initial load stress will be covered by the electrical start.

You can also put the batteries in series to give you 15.5V.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:05 pm

roddie wrote:
StevenStanleyBayes wrote:Yes. I am to be blamed. I screwed up the fuel.

Regardless. Managed to start the engine with different settings but without the dynamo. The engine worked perfectly with the new fuel and allowed for a wide range of control by all three controls.

However, the system could not start with the dynamo because of the 2 to 1 pulley ratio, 2 for the engine pulley and 1 for the dynamo.

The dynamo puts a big load to the engine which the engine cannot overcome at start. Still managed to start the system but for a few seconds only. Was unable to sustain and I was unable to react quickly to switch the electrical load.

Considering I have to run the dynamo with 4 to 1 pulley ratio,  even higher, 6 to 1 welcome, I am disillusioned and I am not sure I would be able to ever start the engine with the dynamo. Will see but looks impossible now.

I was  reading this thread weeks ago, where you mentioned treating the belt with some type of lube to slip "initially".. then grab. Maybe a "wax" would work? Maybe even a crayon? A crayon or small tapered candle could possibly be rubbed on the belt without removal.. and would burn-off after a few seconds of running?

These are excellent ideas. Car wax may help. Castor Oil does not help much because the pulleys start to grip very quickly. Standard grease for cars may also help.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:09 pm

ah that is the awsome part
it is a ungeared engine

when used as a motor 48V 11000 rpm custom selected just for that spec

and for my regulator
i want to regulate my output so that the rpm can stay the same

and for the ntc it is just a negative temperature coefficient resistor

high resistance when cold
low resistance when hot
and becaus they are selfheating
when pulling amps the resistance drops and you get a slow load
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:20 pm

robot797 wrote:ah that is the awsome part
it is a ungeared engine

when used as a motor 48V 11000 rpm custom selected just for that spec

and for my regulator
i want to regulate my output so that the rpm can stay the same

and for the ntc it is just a negative temperature coefficient resistor

high resistance when cold
low resistance when hot
and becaus they are selfheating
when pulling amps the resistance drops and you get a slow load

This resistor will help. Another way is to achieve tge same with a delay circuit : a transistor will switch the output off and will wait for a capacitor to charge to release the output. This way, any sharp change will close the transistor which will slowly open untill the capacitor is fully charged.

To use this, the dynamo must give a stable output which can be achieved with a large capacitor in parallel to the dynamo which will also cover for the initial load to an extent. Too big capacitor may blow the dynamo up. Although circuit for prwvention of this is possible, similar to the described, best choose a capacitor which will not overload the dynamo during the initial as well as quick load change.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Is it possible to use a centrifugal clutch from an RC car?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:57 pm

yea
that would be posible
if there was a type that had a 3.17mm axle hole
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:19 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Is it possible to use a centrifugal clutch from an RC car?

I did not know such exist but, yes, a centrofugal clutch would probably solve most of the problems.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:43 pm

Pretty sure the Cox/Kyosho cars ran clutches on the .049's

There are some on Ebay. Even if the hole is/was bigger it would be easy to fit a spacer.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:38 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Pretty sure the Cox/Kyosho cars ran clutches on the .049's

There are some on Ebay. Even if the hole is/was bigger it would be easy to fit a spacer.

Thanks.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine - Page 16 Empty Clutch

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:18 pm

Had a quick look. Yes, thank you all for the information : the real way to make this project is with an RC car clutch and flywheel. The .049 Cox Kyosho flywheel and clutch are the best. Others may be OK too. An important consideration is the RPM at which the clutch engages. Also, looks like there is a gear wheel coming from the clutch and I must put a pulley there, I hope, as mentioned, there will be a possibility for an axel to come out of the gear wheel to attach a pulley to.

The problem is these cost a lot of money but they are worth. Hopefully, I would be able to get some, I do not know when and where. In case anyone has and want to sell, please inform.

While I was looking at the running engine and the belt, I came up with a design of an easy clutch system, the easiest I can think of, yet not as easy when made in a home environment. Two freewheeling pulleys have the belt round on them. They are either behind the engine or behind the dynamo. The belt goes over them and does not touch the main pulley of, say, the dynamo. The axels of the two freewheeling pulleys can travel on two rails and the axels are connected to each other with a connecting rod. When the two pulley system is pulled, the system goes even more away from the main pulley ( of the dynamo ). When the system is pushed, the belt goes closer to the main pulley. When pushed more, the belt starts to touch the main pulley and, hopefully, slide over the main pulley. When pushed more, the belt stops sliding over the main pulley and starts to engage the main pulley. A spring may ensure the main pulley will stay engaged after the system is released.

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine - Page 16 Clutch11

The picture depicts the simple system without the spring. Looks like a slingshot clutch.

Simple or not, even this may be difficult to make in a home environment.

For now, I would concentrate on belt holder ( s ) which will hold the lower portion of the belt, i. e., the belt would slide into a holder's circle like a thread into a needle, hopefully, without touching. Thus, the holder would become a guide through which the belt is guided. This would allow to use a lower tension belt with grease and the lower portion of the belt would not vibrate so much to drive the belt out.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine - Page 16 Empty Simplified Clutch

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:47 pm

Meanwhile, I may try to make the same clutch idea, yet a lot simplified. I may use thicker Copper wire, the same as for the guides, to replace the clutch pulleys with a guides which can bend. Thus, I can bend the guides to move the belt away from the engine pulley and start the engine. Then, I can bend the guides to bring the belt closer to the engine pulley until the belt slips and then engages. I may even try to do this with one steady guide and only one which bends. I am not sure whether this would work but this is the simplest idea I have and may try to see.

Any other simple idea is welcome, so, please, advise.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:04 am

Hi Stephen, I realize it's expensive to source items that may not work for your application.. and difficult if not impossible to make at home because of the lack of proper tools.

Have you thought about trying "cone" or "stepped" pulleys? I'm not sure that this would solve your immediate concern.. but it would allow for easily altering the ratio of engine rpm vs. dynamo rpm. You might be able to make them using hardwood discs of graduated diameters, stacked together? Perhaps a cone-pulley set could be configured as a sliding clutch?

Here's a link that my be useful

http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/scientific-american/Recipes/How-To-Design-Cone-Pulleys.html#.VS4zYRtFBMs
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:32 am

roddie wrote:Hi Stephen, I realize it's expensive to source items that may not work for your application.. and difficult if not impossible to make at home because of the lack of proper tools.

Have you thought about trying "cone" or "stepped" pulleys? I'm not sure that this would solve your immediate concern.. but it would allow for easily altering the ratio of engine rpm vs. dynamo rpm. You might be able to make them using hardwood discs of graduated diameters, stacked together? Perhaps a cone-pulley set could be configured as a sliding clutch?

Here's a link that my be useful

http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/scientific-american/Recipes/How-To-Design-Cone-Pulleys.html#.VS4zYRtFBMs

I have not thought of cone or stepped pulleys but they are a good idea. The problem is I do not have such an installation accuracy so the belt can be positioned ay a given place exactly.

I have thought of a bicycle style of pulleys but I am not sure whether I have enough room.

I may attempt the simplest thing : to manually hold and slowly slip the belt over the engine pulleys by using 2 Copper wires. The problem is I am not sure whether the belt would slip over the Copper wires.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:47 am

Another option may be to mount the dynamo in a sliding tray. Moving the dynamo pulley away from the engine pulley would tension the belt. You could figure out how to lock it in the running-position easy enough. Possibly slot the tray or the base, for a machine-screw/wing-nut? This would also allow for belt-stretch over time.. or trying different size/length belts.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:15 pm

roddie wrote:Another option may be to mount the dynamo in a sliding tray. Moving the dynamo pulley away from the engine pulley would tension the belt. You could figure out how to lock it in the running-position easy enough. Possibly slot the tray or the base, for a machine-screw/wing-nut? This would also allow for belt-stretch over time.. or trying different size/length belts.

Yes. This was the original idea : like a car. Either this way or another movable tension pulley. Just like the two options of a car. This may be the easiest way. Thank you!

Please, keep giving ideas. Your ideas have been great so far.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:42 pm

You're Welcome Stephen. I enjoy building things too. If you know of the movie character "Caractacus Potts"... then you'd know my personality! Very Happy
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:53 pm

roddie wrote:You're Welcome Stephen. I enjoy building things too. If you know of the movie character "Caractacus Potts"... then you'd know my personality! Very Happy

Well, I do not know this character but I know another one from another movie who has designed engines for Chrysler and now flips burgers at McDonalds. : )
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  StevenStanleyBayes Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:24 pm

StevenStanleyBayes wrote:
roddie wrote:You're Welcome Stephen. I enjoy building things too. If you know of the movie character "Caractacus Potts"... then you'd know my personality! Very Happy

Well,  I do not know this character but I know another one from another movie who has designed engines for Chrysler and now flips burgers at McDonalds. : )

An easier way to make cone pulleys is from conical wine cork. Such are sold in the local automotive stores.

In case I am able to have a large belt which stays inside the pulleys' chanels and does not jump over when not engaged, then a simple clutch can be made of a bendable Copper wire with a freewheeling pulley which would engage the belt when bent.
StevenStanleyBayes
StevenStanleyBayes
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:46 pm

StevenStanleyBayes wrote: In case I am able to have a large belt which stays inside the pulleys' chanels and does not jump over when not engaged, then a simple clutch can be made of a bendable Copper wire with a freewheeling pulley which would engage the belt when bent.

How about using a small wooden spool as an idler-pulley? You could make a music-wire (spring-steel) idler-shaft that locks under a hook when tensioned. Craft stores sell the little wooden spools.

Micro 12VDC Generator with a Cox .049 Sure Start Diesel Engine - Page 16 Dsc02616
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 31 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23 ... 31  Next