Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Bee ID
by ffkiwi Today at 2:35 am

» Aurora Tornado .049
by ffkiwi Today at 2:03 am

» The Cars are the Stars Contest.
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 9:49 pm

» Open COX speed event with prizes out to 3rd place in 2 categories
by Marleysky Yesterday at 9:00 pm

» Tether car setup.
by Cribbs74 Yesterday at 6:41 pm

» Buick Riviera
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 5:29 pm

» TeeDee 051 carb sleeve replacement
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 5:27 pm

» Display stands
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 4:19 pm

» Large Cox Parts Lot
by jmcalata Yesterday at 1:50 pm

» What Cox engine is this?
by Jenuine Motor Yesterday at 12:29 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
December-2018
Dave P.'s

"RC Tee Dee 049"



PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery


World of Aviation

Sure Start Runs Then Surges

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Sure Start Runs Then Surges

Post  NEW222 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:45 pm

Thanks again for the tip of going through the front. Never thought of it. But while I was trying from the rear of the backplate with little success, I took a peek again and saw a bunch of green gunk again. I will soak overnight then clean good tomorrow and blow it out before my next attempt. Will keep you all posted.
avatar
NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1599
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 40
Location : oakbank, mb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sure Start Runs Then Surges

Post  crankbndr on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:02 pm

The way I clean a spraybar is to soak it then put the tube from my fueling syringe on the fuel inlet nipple drop the backplate in a cup of fuel and cycle the syringe.
Plug up needle hole and force fuel through metering orifice, suprizing how much fuel come out that little orifice.
avatar
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 2279
Join date : 2011-12-10
Location : Homestead FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sure Start Runs Then Surges

Post  RknRusty on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:36 pm

Brake parts cleaner works really good too. Just don't let it spray back in your face. That's what I clean out old metal tanks with too.
Rusty

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
avatar
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10639
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 62
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sure Start Runs Then Surges

Post  NEW222 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Ok. Well, I finally got to the backplate today. I did clean it out well. I used a parts cleaner and blew it out. Screen is spotless, spraybar is clean from needle end to fuel nipple, and tiny hole in the venturi. Went to put it together and after reinstalling the original clear plastic reed and retainer, then gave it the 'test'. FAIL! I was easily able to get air movement in both directions. So, out come the scissors and a piece of floppy disk. While at it, made a stainless one too. Tried the floppy disk one, pass. Was assembling it then thought why not try the stainless one. So, back apart, remove reed, replaced with stainless, then tried the 'test' again. Pass. So, I assembled it with the stainless one in. I am hoping that in the next few days I will be able to have a chance at running it again, but not holding my breath as I will be very busy. But until then, I just wanted to give an update.
avatar
NEW222
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1599
Join date : 2011-08-13
Age : 40
Location : oakbank, mb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sure Start Runs Then Surges

Post  RknRusty on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:55 pm

NEW222 wrote:Ok.  Well, I finally got to the backplate today.  I did clean it out well.  I used a parts cleaner and blew it out.  Screen is spotless, spraybar is clean from needle end to fuel nipple, and tiny hole in the venturi.  Went to put it together and after reinstalling the original clear plastic reed and retainer, then gave it the 'test'.  FAIL!  I was easily able to get air movement in both directions.  So, out come the scissors and a piece of floppy disk.  While at it, made a stainless one too.  Tried the floppy disk one, pass.  Was assembling it then thought why not try the stainless one.  So, back apart, remove reed, replaced with stainless, then tried the 'test' again.  Pass.  So, I assembled it with the stainless one in.  I am hoping that in the next few days I will be able to have a chance at running it again, but not holding my breath as I will be very busy.  But until then, I just wanted to give an update.
Good work. It'll run fine.
Rusty

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
avatar
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10639
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 62
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sure Start Runs Then Surges

Post  crankbndr on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:16 pm

RknRusty wrote:Brake parts cleaner works really good too. Just don't let it spray back in your face. That's what I clean out old metal tanks with too.
Rusty

Funny how those cans do a 180 right back in your face, course I've never done that. Shocked
avatar
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 2279
Join date : 2011-12-10
Location : Homestead FL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sure Start Runs Then Surges

Post  TDbandit on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:25 pm

crankbndr wrote:
RknRusty wrote:Brake parts cleaner works really good too. Just don't let it spray back in your face. That's what I clean out old metal tanks with too.
Rusty

Funny how those cans do a 180 right back in your face, course I've never done that. Shocked
Shhh it might hear ya!
Last time I said something like that, it happened. Paranoid (Bandit)
avatar
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 868
Join date : 2014-12-01
Age : 47
Location : Fort Valley Georgia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sure Start Runs Then Surges

Post  Oldenginerod on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:28 am

NEW222 wrote:Ok.  Well, I finally got to the backplate today.  I did clean it out well.  I used a parts cleaner and blew it out.  Screen is spotless, spraybar is clean from needle end to fuel nipple, and tiny hole in the venturi.  Went to put it together and after reinstalling the original clear plastic reed and retainer, then gave it the 'test'.  FAIL!  I was easily able to get air movement in both directions.  So, out come the scissors and a piece of floppy disk.  While at it, made a stainless one too.  Tried the floppy disk one, pass.  Was assembling it then thought why not try the stainless one.  So, back apart, remove reed, replaced with stainless, then tried the 'test' again.  Pass.  So, I assembled it with the stainless one in.  I am hoping that in the next few days I will be able to have a chance at running it again, but not holding my breath as I will be very busy.  But until then, I just wanted to give an update.
Personally, I would opt for the softer reed to save wear on the backplate.  It may not matter on the plastic backplate.  Steel reeds are known to cause wear of the alloy tanks and a mylar reed would be a better choice.  I guess a hard reed on a soft seat may not wear.  Same as a soft reed on a hard seat. But steel on alloy could be a problem.  I'm just thinking out loud here.
(so to speak Laughing ).

Rod.

Just had a thought. Would it be possible for the ferric oxide to loosen from the floppy disk material while running and cause wear in the engine? Huh...
avatar
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2274
Join date : 2012-06-15
Age : 56
Location : Victoria, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sure Start Runs Then Surges

Post  gcb on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:25 pm

Oldenginerod wrote: Just had a thought.  Would it be possible for the ferric oxide to loosen from the floppy disk material while running and cause wear in the engine? Huh...

The ones might cause wear but the zeros should not. Smile  Shocked  Huh...  

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've never seen anyone post about a problem.

George
avatar
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 908
Join date : 2011-08-11
Location : Port Ewen, NY

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sure Start Runs Then Surges

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum