Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Evolution of the Tee Dee 049 Cox_ba12

Evolution of the Tee Dee 049 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Evolution of the Tee Dee 049 Empty
Live on Patrol

Evolution of the Tee Dee 049

Go down

Evolution of the Tee Dee 049 Empty Evolution of the Tee Dee 049

Post  balogh Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:38 am

I have collected quite a number of Tee Dee 049/050/051-s over the last couple of years and noted the obvious evolution of e.g. the 049-s.

Pictured below are 2 beauties aka Twin Dee-s, pre 1972 design with the following differentiating features compared to later designs:

1. Venturi without the screen
2. No. 4 stamped cylinder, stepped wall, top fins without milling for the wrench - later designs from the 1980/90-s came with thick wall cylinder and top fin milled
3. Tapered cylinder/piston fit (later, stepped wall cylinders with the top fin milled  are not all tapered)
3. Piston made of 2 parts (separate part for the balljoint cap) (later designs made from one piece)
3. Strange, whitish metal conrod, with oiling drill on the large end. (later conrods are the brownish, steel material, with no oiling drill at all)

Evolution of the Tee Dee 049 Twinde10

This oiling drill though was missing already on the one on the left side, even if the conrod material is the same white metal.
Evolution of the Tee Dee 049 Twinde11

We know COX notoriously interchanged various components in its engines depending on the component production run - never to the compromise of the quality, but making age identification sometimes a puzzle.

I mesured the crankpin hole diamater on this conrod with the oiling hole and on a later design conrod with no oiling hole in anticipation that with the oiling hole abandoned, the diameter of the conrod bottom end might be a bit larger in order to allow the oil to enter the journal bearing gap, but - at least with my calliper type gauge - I found both designs are 2,5mm in diamater.

So the ommission of the oiling drill was not followed by any dimension alteration in the conrod bottom end, in the obvious recognition that the oiling drill was just a cost adder but could be dispensed with without the compromise of the lubrication of the crankpin.

Sorry for the academic elaboration on this relatively simple topic, but those interested in the COX design evolution may find it useful.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Evolution of the Tee Dee 049 Empty Re: Evolution of the Tee Dee 049

Post  Marleysky Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:54 am

No, no, no do not apologize:

" Sorry for the academic elaboration on this relatively simple topic, but those interested in the COX design evolution may find it useful."

We need all the information we can get, so we can be better informed on these engines we admire so much. I think you've done a good thing. I learned that there were oil holes in con rods, never knew that before. Thanks! Rene
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Is the oil hole a "Tee Dee only" feature?

My Tee Dee has plain anodizing on the carb and drive plate instead of the gold color, anyone know when that was dropped? Mine is a thick-cylinder one so it's one of the later versions.

EDIT: BTW Balogh, have you checked if the one with the oil hole is magnetic or not, or compared the weights of the piston assemblies?

Last edited by KariFS on Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:25 pm

I think ther oil hole was just an ill-fated feature used on TD049-s only. On the very early ones.

If you look at eBay some, but not all of the christal box TD-s (probably sold throught the 70-s) already come with the thick-wall cylinders, and those which are in the black/red cardboard boxes are all invariable thick wall cylinders. So these may be around since the late 70-s I guess.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:41 pm

KariFS wrote:Is the oil hole a "Tee Dee only" feature?

My Tee Dee has plain anodizing on the carb and drive plate I nstead of the gold color, anyone know when that was dropped? Mine is a thick-cylinder one so it's one of the later versions.

EDIT: BTW Balogh, have you checked if the one with the oil hole is magnetic or not, or compared the weights of the piston assemblies?

Kari,

great idea...I checked and the conrod of the old TD made of the whitish metal is magnetic (just like that of the "modern piston/conrod combos) so this must me steel, of course. The one without the oil hole (but also whitish material) weighs 3,08 grams, while a "modern" piston/conrod combo weighs 3,21 grams....strange, maybe the piston wall thickness is larger in the "modern" combos?
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:53 pm

As large as the hole is I think a previous owner drilled it out. Balogh did you buy this new in the box at some point back in the day?

I have never seen a oil hole I have owned about 27 TD's over the years and have 14 on hand now spanning all the decades. A factory oil hole would be smaller in relation to size.

1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:25 pm

crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:03 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:As large as the hole is I think a previous owner drilled it out. Balogh did you buy this new in the box at some point back in the day?

I have never seen a oil hole I have owned about 27 TD's over the years and have 14 on hand now spanning all the decades. A factory oil hole would be smaller in relation to size.

I also have more than 10 TD-s but this is the only one with the oil hole.This is a brand new never run TD with the oil hole on the conrod. It came from an eBay seller in the original chrystal box with papers, decals and wrenches. I do not think it was a home-made hole but must have been a limited edition of the earlier TD-s.

The thread above shows there must have been a short production run with the holes in the conrod as another piston and conrod combo was found to feature it..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:15 pm

I have a few of them with the holes. I don't feel it really offers any benefit to running them. I believe Cox felt the same way and decided to abandon it.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:58 pm

Balogh congratulations you have a very rare TD! Thumbs Up
I bet there are less than 1000 left in circulation. Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:42 pm

I have a piston with an oiling hole somewhere in my cox stuff. It came on an eBay Reedie that was obviously assembled from parts.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Here's an early Tee Dee

Evolution of the Tee Dee 049 10927611
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen