Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Finally got out for a few flights after 37 years!! Cox_ba12

Finally got out for a few flights after 37 years!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Finally got out for a few flights after 37 years!! Empty
Live on Patrol

Finally got out for a few flights after 37 years!!

Go down

LOL Finally got out for a few flights after 37 years!!

Post  rogermharris Mon May 25, 2015 12:53 pm

oh the smell of burning glow fuel! beautiful day but, a bit breezy. I flew the maiden voyage of the scratch built trainer we had put together. it flies rather well it think. of course i got dizzy half way through my couple of flights. thank goodness for small tanks! my son's best flight was 3 laps or so and on his last attempt he nose dived it straight into the dirt and snapped the engine clean off at the wing. i think i will add some thin plywood to strengthen it up. overall i think we had a successful outing. here is one of my flights. note me bending over with my eyes closed at the end trying not to fall over LOL! i will have to post one of my son's attempts after i get it uploaded from the video camera. mine was taken with my iphone as the video camera battery was dead.
used one of my laser cut handles and spider wire... stuff works well!

rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

LOL Re: Finally got out for a few flights after 37 years!!

Post  Marleysky Mon May 25, 2015 1:28 pm

Congratulations Roger and son.  I'm still searching for a "Cox flight certificate"  but for now I copied this from Kim's posts:

https://servimg.com/view/16842846/2748

Memorial Day
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Mon May 25, 2015 4:14 pm

Marleysky wrote:Congratulations Roger and son.  I'm still searching for a "Cox flight certificate"  but for now I copied this from Kim's posts:

Memorial Day

hey that's a good idea!  i will have to make him a certificate.  thanks!

here was his second attempt. the first nosed right into the dirt on takeoff then i hand launched it for him. sorry for the camera position... it blew over in the wind a couple times and it's hard to see the display in the bright son... better video next time.

the crash that broke the fuse. my flight above was actually post crash repair.

rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon May 25, 2015 6:08 pm

Great job!  That's about how I was when Duke let me fly his plane at Delta Park a couple of years ago after 35 years of not flying.  You'll get over it quick.  Good to see you back in the air!   Very Happy

Your son is like mine was when he started.  More body english than fine control.  Do you happen to have one of those wrist braces like a bowler or someone with a wrist problem wears?  That would help him keep his wrist stiff and control from the elbow.

The Bowler Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 26, 2015 5:18 am

Hi Roger, Great to see that you and your son got out to enjoy some flying! I've enjoyed watching your build threads. It was very breezy in my area too, this past weekend.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue May 26, 2015 5:53 am

Great job of hanging in there. I "flew" for the first time in 35 years a couple of weeks ago with my son. After about 10 circles I was so dizzy I had to dump the Cox PT-19 that I was "flying". My son took two pictures, one of me and the plane doing circles (published here) and one of me laying flat on the ground (not published). Smile

I have yet to try it again, but I have found a great dizzyness trainer. While mowing the lawn using my "zero-turn" mower I had to spin it around to get a tough spot when I thought, hey let's just do circles and get used to being dizzy, which is what I did.

Congratulations again. I enjoyed your videos.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue May 26, 2015 7:39 am

roddie wrote:Hi Roger, Great to see that you and your son got out to enjoy some flying! I've enjoyed watching your build threads. It was very breezy in my area too, this past weekend.  

thanks roddie!

we had much fun. i need to get a second trainer put together. between having to make an engine change (possible dirt in the fuel tank after the first couple flights) and the nose being snapped off we will need a second plane so we can spend more time flying.
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue May 26, 2015 7:41 am

rsv1cox wrote:Great job of hanging in there.  I "flew" for the first time in 35 years a couple of weeks ago with my son.  After about 10 circles I was so dizzy I had to dump the Cox PT-19 that I was "flying".  My son took two pictures, one of me and the plane doing circles (published here) and one of me laying flat on the ground (not published). Smile

I have yet to try it again, but I have found a great dizzyness trainer.  While mowing the lawn using my "zero-turn" mower I had to spin it around to get a tough spot when I thought, hey let's just do circles and get used to being dizzy, which is what I did.  

Congratulations again.  I enjoyed your videos.  

Bob

thanks bob!
i never ended up on the ground but was close LOL!

when i was a kid i would wind myself up on the swing in the yard and spin myself silly. mabee i need to put a swing back in the yard...
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue May 26, 2015 7:42 am

Cool stuff great to see you guys flying together , the plane seem to fly well ! few more times out and you will bee tearing up the sky . Congratulations!! you feel 35 yrs. younger now ? Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue May 26, 2015 7:50 am

getback wrote:Cool stuff great to see you guys flying together , the plane seem to fly well ! few more times out and you will bee tearing up the sky . Congratulations!! you feel 35 yrs. younger now ? Babe Bee .049

i forgot i had the bellcrank set up for short throw when i looped it. i was attempting to help with the dizziness. just did get it around! i already feel i should be building something that will stunt better. hope to be back out in the next few days
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Tue May 26, 2015 8:00 am

I'm so entertained by you guys documenting your first flights after so long.  I'm another one who will soon be making his first flight in about 38 years.  I've had the Stuka out a couple times to fly but it runs inconsistently so I've ordered some gaskets to get it running smoothly before I head out again.  I know that's probably not the best plane for reentry to the sport and I might fly my stunt trainer someone recently gave me instead.  At any rate, it'll be soon and I'm SO looking forward to it!  (I'll definitely be practicing my circles to help with the dizzying issue.)

My son and I are building some 1/2A balsa trainers to get him started into CL and me started doing some basic stunts.  I'm working on my engine and prop collection as we build and just placed a sizeable order with Bernie to get some gaskets, reeds, etc. I'll need to do some experimenting.

I've been advised to take a few pre-flight photos and plan on getting the video of a successful re-entry-to-the-sport flight!

I was lucky enough to meet some seasoned CL fliers close by who fly on Mondays & Fridays each week... a group of 4-6 guys.  Actually met them thru CEF, so looking forward to hooking up with them and having some great flying sessions ahead in the near future!!

I'm excited for my boy, hope he takes to the sport as I did when I wore a younger man's shoes. More, as it unfolds... Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Tue May 26, 2015 8:04 am

Marleysky wrote:Congratulations Roger and son.  I'm still searching for a "Cox flight certificate"  but for now I copied this from Kim's posts:

Memorial Day
Excellent idea!  I'll print one for my son. Thanks for the link!
Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue May 26, 2015 8:24 am

thanks greg! we really had a blast! i have to get my son over the frustration of crashing more than flying and then i think he will really get into it.

I'm pretty sure we are the only ones that i know of flying C/L in the area. pretty sad.

i emailed to two closest R/C clubs and one told me thier C/L circle grew over with weeds years ago and the other said they had one old timer that used to come out now and then but don't think he does anymore. from what i understand there is a C/L club about an hour north of me and another 1.5 hours west in the philly, Pa area. i was never part of a club and am just interested in building and going out down the street for a quick few flights after dinner.

whats a good design for a plank wing stunt trainer? when i ordered my balsa from sig i got a piece of their pre- shaped wing
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Tue May 26, 2015 8:39 am

rogermharris wrote:thanks greg!  we really had a blast! i have to get my son over the frustration of crashing more than flying and then i think he will really get into it.

whats a good design for a plank wing stunt trainer? when i ordered my balsa from sig i got a piece of their pre- shaped wing

Thanks Roger.  I'm going to emphasize the fun aspect to flying and play down the crashing aspect, choosing to try to laugh at our follies rather than stress over them.  Hope that works!  He's 9 but takes things too seriously (probably learned that from me...).

I'm not the guy to best answer your question about the plank wing stunt trainer but I chose a 1/2A Skyray.
I also was just given a plane RknRusty called a stunt trainer.
Photos below, Skyray first.
Finally got out for a few flights after 37 years!! Sigcl210
Finally got out for a few flights after 37 years!! Img_9422

Rusty's assessment of the yellow plane might give some direction to a stunt trainer choice:
"With the wide wing chord and short tail moment (distance from Wing's TE to elevator hinge line), and nose moment (distance from face of the drive plate to wing's LE), it should fly and glide very easily and also be a good one for learning to fly a loop."
Playing with the CG after getting comfortable with the plane will enhance performance of course.

Happy flying!  Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue May 26, 2015 8:53 am

both look good!

i did a lot of laughing when we got home and watched the video.. my son almost 11 got upset cause he thought i was laughing at him. i had to explain i was just laughing in general and think he understood that it's wasn't so bad. i also told him on many occasions while building that we would be crashing as well and that's why we start with a very simple trainer.

the biggest hardest thing for me is not to overreact when he crashes. i spent a lot of time yelling but, it was more about him hearing me over the engine and wind noise trying to explain what he needed to do. i also told him more than once that i'm not mad or upset just having fun. we will spend a bit more time on hand and arm position next time out.

rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue May 26, 2015 6:46 pm

rogermharris wrote:
getback wrote:Cool stuff great to see you guys flying together , the plane seem to fly well ! few more times out and you will bee tearing up the sky . Congratulations!! you feel 35 yrs. younger now ? Babe Bee .049

i forgot i had the bellcrank set up for short throw when i looped it. i was attempting to help with the dizziness. just did get it around!  i already feel i should be building something that will stunt better. hope to be back out in the next few days

So Rog.. do you feel younger? Laughing I liked Eric's quote. If I had access to the laser that you have.. I'd print-out a couple more of that design and build them. They won't take near as long after having built the first. Make the control-throws furthest hole out on the horns. Your boy will have a lot easier time of it. You may already know this; but putting the prop on facing backwards and/or running a richer needle setting will slow the airplane down for him.. and get him used to flying nice level laps.

Watch ebay and even garage sales for Babe Bee's. You'll find them.. and most often; on the cheap. Have at least two spares ready to run. Crashes will be inevitable.. but it only takes a minute to swap line-connectors.. and fuel up another model.

I can tell.. that "dads' got the urge to stunt"! I know the feeling.. It's been too long since I've flown. You have a Sig airfoiled panel? What's the chord measurement? I checked out the page, and it's either 3" or 4". You could design your own stunter.. The  "Skyray" has a 4.75" constant-chord and 23.75" span.. for a 113 square inch wing. That's a good place to start for Cox Bee-powered models. The shorter your tail-moment design.. the faster the model will react to your control inputs. Cut your panel-length (span).. and rip-cut; span-wise at the thickest airfoil-section.. and install a spreader-piece (3/16" or 1/4".. whatever the thickness) and you'll have more wing-area where you need it. I also feel that this can make a plank-wing less prone to warping. A 1/2-span hardwood spar can help strengthen wing-mounted landing-gear too, if you're going for a scale-like design. The Carl Goldberg Stuntman 23 is also a nice little design. Maybe combine the two into a custom ship. I have a smashed Stuntman that my dad built.. and I want to build another one.. something simple. I have a NIB Skyray too. These models fly great on a hot calm summer day!

Sending you a PM.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Tue May 26, 2015 7:14 pm

roddie wrote:
rogermharris wrote:

So Rog.. do you feel younger? Laughing I liked Eric's quote. If I had access to the laser that you have.. I'd print-out a couple more of that design and build them. They won't take near as long after having built the first. Make the control-throws furthest hole out on the horns. Your boy will have a lot easier time of it. You may already know this; but putting the prop on facing backwards and/or running a richer needle setting will slow the airplane down for him.. and get him used to flying nice level laps.

Watch ebay and even garage sales for Babe Bee's. You'll find them.. and most often; on the cheap. Have at least two spares ready to run. Crashes will be inevitable.. but it only takes a minute to swap line-connectors.. and fuel up another model.

I can tell.. that "dads' got the urge to stunt"! I know the feeling.. It's been too long since I've flown. You have a Sig airfoiled panel? What's the chord measurement? I checked out the page, and it's either 3" or 4". You could design your own stunter.. The  "Skyray" has a 4.75" constant-chord and 23.75" span.. for a 113 square inch wing. That's a good place to start for Cox Bee-powered models. The shorter your tail-moment design.. the faster the model will react to your control inputs. Cut your panel-length (span).. and rip-cut; span-wise at the thickest airfoil-section.. and install a spreader-piece (3/16" or 1/4".. whatever the thickness) and you'll have more wing-area where you need it. I also feel that this can make a plank-wing less prone to warping. A 1/2-span hardwood spar can help strengthen wing-mounted landing-gear too, if you're going for a scale-like design. The Carl Goldberg Stuntman 23 is also a nice little design. Maybe combine the two into a custom ship. I have a smashed Stuntman that my dad built.. and I want to build another one.. something simple. I have a NIB Skyray too. These models fly great on a hot calm summer day!

Sending you a PM.

yea i guess it brought back a whole lot of memories so maybee a bit younger LOL!

i have quite a few bee's that i picked up from ebay and rebuilt plus i have my old black widow and golden bee to clean up and refresh so im good on engines for now. i also have the two .020's i picked up but have not gotten into them yet.  i have the handle set 1 to 1 at the moment and set up short throw between the bellcrank and horn.  if you notice i barely made that loop. forgot i had the plane tamed down.  i would have love doing a bunch of loops to curb the dizziness LOL!  hopefully next time it will be a calmer day and i can run the engine a little rich.  it just would not pull enough in the breeze we have but, she flew great full song!  never saw slack in the lines at all.  never thought about turning the prop around either. thanks for all the suggestions!

at the moment i don't recall if it's 3" or 4" cord on the foil but adding a bit to it to sounds like a good idea.  i guess i could also add some to the trailing edge or maybee flaps!....  i know i got a 4' piece and even thought about cutting it in half and gluing the two flat sides together to create a symmetrical air foil shaped wing.  sounds like i'll bee designing something.  i have another one of these trainers cut out... guess i'll get that one built up quick as well....

Last edited by rogermharris on Wed May 27, 2015 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  CHELLIE Wed May 27, 2015 1:08 am

rogermharris wrote:oh the smell of burning glow fuel!  beautiful day but, a bit breezy. I flew the maiden voyage of the scratch built trainer we had put together. it flies rather well it think. of course i got dizzy half way through my couple of flights. thank goodness for small tanks! my son's best flight was 3 laps or so and on his last attempt he nose dived it straight into the dirt and snapped the engine clean off at the wing. i think i will add some thin plywood to strengthen it up. overall i think we had a successful outing.  here is one of my flights. note me bending over with my eyes closed at the end trying not to fall over LOL! i will have to post one of my son's attempts after i get it uploaded from the video camera. mine was taken with my iphone as the video camera battery was dead.
used one of my laser cut handles and spider wire... stuff works well!

Congrats Roger Smile I Bet that Flight Made you feel like a kid again after 37 Years Smile Here is my CL flight after 25 years of not flying CL, I did not do to bad Smile Take care and have fun, Chellie

CHELLIE
CHELLIE
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down