Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... Cox_ba12

Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... Empty
Live on Patrol

Going a little Dick McCoy happy.....

Go down

Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... Empty Going a little Dick McCoy happy.....

Post  rsv1cox Thu May 28, 2015 3:07 pm

I can find quite a lot about the man on the net but very little about his engines.  I wish I had kept all of my vintage MAN copies.  

I picked up two red Heads and a pre-red Head last week and have six more coming.  Most interesting is this pre-red head .29.  It has a restricted venturi and a tapped (6/32) boss on the back not removable plate.  What is this for - mounting a fuel tank, some sort of radial mount?  

Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... McCoys%20engines%20001_zpsntkrcot7

The two red heads are different in the head design, one has an off-set hole for the glow plug, the other is centralized.  Does anyone know the reason for the difference (different porting?)  and which predates which?  

Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... McCoys%20engines%20004_zpshuucjx79

All will be disassembled and restored except maybe the .29 including the six coming which are really rag-tag. More business for Chellie. Smile

Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... McCoys%20engines%20006_zpsfj8atbes

Also came the same day is this Cox .049 Space Bug? same as the one that I bought about 67 years ago.  I wanted one to mount in a vintage plane and fly and I didn’t want to risk my original one.  It was nasty, hence the rather cheap price that I got it for, but it cleaned up well with all new gaskets.  Ought to be fun to build a model for it and go round and dizzy round. Note the glow plug, someone chopped off the sides. Does Cox Int. still supply the early plugs?

Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... McCoys%20engines%20008_zps1favfzdt
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... Empty Re: Going a little Dick McCoy happy.....

Post  pkrankow Thu May 28, 2015 3:32 pm

The front comes off that old .29 There was a tank that could be used on the back too. By turning the engine 1/4 turn the direction of rotation could be reversed, which is really cool as a feature.
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... Empty Re: Going a little Dick McCoy happy.....

Post  Mark Boesen Thu May 28, 2015 3:51 pm

The small diameter glowhead has been out of production for a long, long time. You could drill it out and convert it or find a early O.K. Cub head and use a short glowplug, let me know if you plan to run it, i probably got a spare head for you.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 28, 2015 7:21 pm

Bob,

I have every issue of MAN from 1960-69 as well as many 50's issues. If there is any bit of info you need let me know.

Ron

P.S. (I know I still owe you a handle)
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Thu May 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Your McCoy is a 29 Super Stunt and was sold with a cast aluminum tank. Here is ad from Oct 1954 FM:
Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... Fm_10510
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 29, 2015 7:19 am

Thanks guys, answered most of my questions. Others will be apparent when I take them all apart.

Interesting thrust washer/prop washer design on the .29 appears to be in reverse from normal. Most of these came from a single seller in NH, my old home state. They are selling cheap, about the price of a standard glow plug. Not a big investment here.

They are selling Enya's - small displacements for a $7 bid or $11 BIN. I just buy those outright, complete engines in good shape. Love those Enya's.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri May 29, 2015 8:42 am

Nice looking engines , cant beat that price with a little work will really bring out the beauty in them . I need to run my 19 in some more then clean her up and wait for a plane , nice looking space bug jr. what are you going to put it on ? I have an extra and would like to fly it on something ,,, well really I need to run it first I guess LOL Laughing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri May 29, 2015 1:15 pm

getback wrote:Nice looking engines , cant beat that price with a little work will really bring out the beauty in them . I need to run my 19 in some more then clean her up and wait for a plane , nice looking space bug jr. what are you going to put it on ? I have an extra and would like to fly it on something ,,, well really I need to run it first I guess LOL Laughing

I'm thinking this Cyclone Eric.

Going a little Dick McCoy happy..... Cyclone%20001_zpsm9lzgfei

Hollow log fuse, drill a hole all the way through for the intake, a little CA here, epoxy there, paint and do it.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down