Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2017
Mark Boesen's

Nice original Babe Bee from a Super Cub 105, late fifties.

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

take-off dolly for sm. profile c/l models

View previous topic View next topic Go down

take-off dolly for sm. profile c/l models

Post  roddie on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:24 pm

I mentioned this proto-design in the reed-speed thread. I'm trying to make it a reality. It cradles a profile fuse; having a vertical notch in it's belly.. near the c of g.. that straddles a pin in the cradle. The cradle-pin is adjustable fore./aft.

The rod at the tail-end will support two flaps which will lay over the horizontal tail-plane; holding it down with weight. The cradle's angle of incidence should allow the model to lift-out in short order.. I hope.

I need to build a test-model.. and have one in  mind. I'll call it the T33-Dee...

Last edited by roddie on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Re: take-off dolly for sm. profile c/l models

Post  roddie on Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:46 pm

Here's the tail-end showing the rod for the tail's hold-down flaps. It will have a pin-stooge release linkage.

If the design functions satisfactorily.. the cradle width is adjustable for fuses up to 3/8" wide. The O/A length wouldn't accommodate a model much bigger. This prototype is primarily for 1/2A to A size models.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:47 am

robbie, what will you come up with next. You have a creative mind, what a blessing.

Bob
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:34 pm

rsv1cox wrote:roddie, what will you come up with next.  You have a creative mind, what a blessing.  

Bob

Thanks Bob. I haven't spent much time on the hobby this Summer. A new job and a very busy band schedule is sapping a lot of my energy.

The only work I've done on this dolly, is an idea that I had in just the last few days. The pin that holds the models' fuse.. (via a vertical slot in the belly near the c of g) locates lower than I'd like, in the cradle. This could over-complicate Shocked having the model locate easily in the dolly's saddle. It only needs to be restricted from forward motion. The stab./elev. are weighted by a split-flap that is hinged at the rear of the dolly's cradle.. and lays over the tail-plane. This feature is also intended to help hold the model level. The theory is; when the model generates enough lift from the dolly's inclined angle of attack.. it will slide-up off the pin, and the tail will slide forward and out from under the flaps.

This is the idea I thought of a few days ago.. It uses a wire-tie through the previously-drilled holes for the pin, to form a loop over the top of the saddle. The model won't have to sit as deep in the cradle; as it would with my original pin concept.

The wheels are always turning in head. Right now I'm thinking of another possible mod. I won't say "stay tuned".. because who knows how soon I'll post the results.. tongue
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:39 pm

I Likey
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile