Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Father - Son 1/2A Build

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Empty Re: Father - Son 1/2A Build

Post  Sig Skyray Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:03 pm

I took several screenshots of a video and pasted them together. Luckily the plane leveled out just before it hit the ground and just the wheels popped off.

Yes that's me flying. I dragged the whole family out. 2 videographers and my son to be my official pitcrew / release man.
I think we'll be trying it again tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed.

I understand your frustration Eric. Sounds like your son did the right thing.

Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Empty Project Update 2

Post  Sig Skyray Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:48 pm

The time has finally come when we can call this build COMPLETE.  It's been a labor of love for both of us.  Nicholas did all the work except for leveling the wing and stab while gluing and taping the paint lines.  I'm proud of him for the patience he showed.  It took us awhile, but the final coat and controls are on and the wait for the maiden flight begins. (Paint curing.)  He chose the paint scheme after days of thinking about it, then was quite decisive on the colors.

Here's the finished L'il Wizard.  Will post more when we get it flying.  It weighs in at 6.7 oz. with CG about 1/4" back from the LE which is a good spot to start with I think.  (May be over nose-heavy?)  We chopped the front end of the fuse 3/4" after some reading.  The only thing that doesn't sit right with me is the rudder is really flimsy side-to-side.  It's solid where it connects with the fuse because we added the nylon or silk material but the top 1/2 will be easily cracked off with any force.

I am forgetting why the original Goldberg Wizard advertised itself as the only 1/2a that flies on 52' lines.  I had one and flew it at 52 feet.  I remember a lot of line drag but it was easy to fly.  I think I'm going to start him with lines around 38' to 40'.

The black widow is just for the photo, we'll be flying a Baby Bee until we're ready for more speed or maybe a loop or flyover.
Thanks for all the guidance and support.
Greg & Nicholas

Oh, I have to take some pics of my Skyray that I built at the same time, soon.

Check the black nose
Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Wizard10
Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Wizard11
Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Wizard12
Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Wizard13

Last edited by Sig Skyray on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:55 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Love the last picture.  Nothing turns out correctly unless you hold your mouth right.  Smile

Tip weight, rudder off-set, and yellow safety prop.  Ought to be a flyer.

I'm missing Florida, red mulch, palms, green grass.  I spent the better part of fifty years down there.

Bob

Oh yeah, and things are really green here now since we've been getting our daily rains! Plus, 95% humidity that hits you like a wall when you walk out the door any time of day. That's okay, I'm a native and comfortable with it. I just change my shirt twice a day :-)
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:47 am

Sig Skyray wrote:.......I am forgetting why the original Goldberg Wizard advertised itself as the only 1/2a that flies on 52' lines.  I had one and flew it at 52 feet.  I remember a lot of line drag but it was easy to fly.  I think I'm going to start him with lines around 38' to 40'.......

Dang, I must've forgot to submit my earlier post.

Greg, I think that's a good plan. 35-40' is good. I wouldn't try 52' lines unless it's a dead calm day. Probably rare in your area. Looking forward to a flight report.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:24 am

I'm quite certain due to the plane and it's anti- crash bellcrank design was the reasoning to them to claim it could be flown on 52' lines. I believe the plane would induce up elevator when the lines went slack. While this can work, I would highly discourage the use of it as it can also give a false sense of security. This was more to slow the speeds down in theory. I think it's a very bad choice and would never attempt that. The planes weight and lack of wing makes it a brick. It needs horsepower and it will fly far superior going faster than trying to make it go slow. The best solution for a new flyer is to just add more tip weight. The Wizard isn't a maneuverable plane and never will be so trying to get it to do so will result in a crash. It can be nursed into oversized loops and I'm certain it can go inverted with a skilled pilot but getting back upright will be challenging. The plane was designed nose heavy so adding tail weight will just result in adding more weight and nothing gained but weight. It's designed for the beginner so maneuverability was not considered in the design. Goldberg kits sold well due to the decals and box art. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:49 am

Ken Cook wrote:       I'm quite certain due to the plane and it's anti- crash bellcrank design was the reasoning to them to claim it could be flown on 52' lines. I believe the plane would induce up elevator when the lines went slack The Wizard isn't a maneuverable plane and never will be so trying to get it to do so will result in a crash. It can be nursed into oversized loops and I'm certain it can go inverted with a skilled pilot but getting back upright will be challenging. The plane was designed nose heavy so adding tail weight will just result in adding more weight and nothing gained but weight. It's designed for the beginner so maneuverability was not considered in the design. Goldberg kits sold well due to the decals and box art. Ken

Where were you and your advice......45-50 years ago??  Dang, I got sold on the decals and box art....but was determined to fly. I still have the decals, still have the plane. Back then, I knew nothing about balance, center of gravity, torque thrust or aerodynamics. Everything you've said above is true and now years later, humorous, as I can still remember the thrill of doing a complete loop with my Wizzard after many, many, many attempts. lol! ah, the memories.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:23 am

Nicholas , Your airplane looks GREAT !!! and I wish you and Greg best of luck with the Median flight ,, Post us a video please 4th of July Flag  Getback 4th of July Flag
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Empty Flight Report !

Post  Sig Skyray Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:20 pm

Big day yesterday for Nicholas! We trained and practiced for 2 weeks and yesterday he was ready. I'm posting videos of his first flight over in Flying Discussions in a post called "Son's First Flight".
Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:41 am

Sig Skyray wrote:Big day yesterday for Nicholas!  We trained and practiced for 2 weeks and yesterday he was ready.  I'm posting videos of his first flight over in Flying Discussions in a post called "Son's First Flight".
Greg

oww i going to teach myself cl im going to ues a scorpion or a lil pt and its going to be a challenge ps my dad all what he did was play rugby lol!
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:18 am

cox24711 wrote:
Sig Skyray wrote:Big day yesterday for Nicholas!  We trained and practiced for 2 weeks and yesterday he was ready.  I'm posting videos of his first flight over in Flying Discussions in a post called "Son's First Flight".
Greg

oww i going to teach myself cl im going to ues a scorpion or a lil pt and its going to be a challenge ps my dad all what he did was play rugby lol!

Go for it Greg! You can do it!

Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Empty Finally the Skyray is complete

Post  Sig Skyray Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:49 pm

Alright, I finally wrapped up the Skyray tonight.  We've been busy flying Nicholas' Wizard and relearning how to fly and getting our engines going.  This weekend we'll maiden the Skyray.  Being my first build as an adult, I wanted to take some extra time and make her nice and pretty.  I borrowed the paint scheme from a plane I found by Googling 1/2a's and I got a good amount of input from CEF people.  Thank you!  I had some old mirror finish monokote I used on the canopy which I thinks sets off the paint job nicely.  This would've looked a lot better with an engine on it but I wanted to get this post up.

Weighs in at 6.1 oz with the engine.  The only mods were a larger 2-screw elevator horn, heavier control rod with brass coupler soldered on so I could use a 2-56 threaded steel clevis, a beefed up elevator horn platform and a screw and bolt thru the wing for the bellcrank vs. a wood screw.

Haven't checked the CG yet.  

Oh, and... I finally got the Stuka in the air Sunday morning.  What a victory!  Nicholas has been getting more comfortable in the ring with his Wizard with his strong running Babe Bee and can't wait to try a loop.

So we've gone from no planes to 4 planes flying in a matter of a few weeks.  It's been exciting and I so thankful the boiy is still showing interest.  I think he might be hooked.  He wants to start another build already.

Thanks again for the support, tricks and pointers.  Greg

P.S.  My dad came out Sunday and is showing some interest in getting behind the handle so maybe we'll have 3 generations flying before we know it.

Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Img_0310
Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Img_0311
Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Img_0312
Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Img_0313
Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Img_0314
Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Img_0113
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:06 pm

Haha, great family photo. Now we know what you're gonna look like in 15 or 20 years. The Baby Ring looks really good. Always smart to get a picture before you fly it.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:16 am

Nicely done .... time to get out and put some laps on all those planes!
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:43 am

Wow from 0 to 4 in weeks cool looking Skyray , Greg good to see the Family Fly Team coming together , Ya'll be playing combat before you know it Very Happy Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:29 am

RknRusty wrote:Haha, great family photo. Now we know what you're gonna look like in 15 or 20 years. The Baby Ring [Skyray] looks really good. Always smart to get a picture before you fly it.
Rusty

My dad turned 80 yesterday.  I HOPE I look that good in 27 years!  He still rides his Harley, camps and works out too!

Took the Skyray out to maiden her today.  Foiled by a rookie error.  Battery clip shorted and drained.  No flying.  Had I been flying with a buddy today I would've been covered.  Live and learn.Sad

Greg  Smile
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Sig Skyray wrote:
RknRusty wrote:Haha, great family photo. Now we know what you're gonna look like in 15 or 20 years. The Baby Ring [Skyray] looks really good. Always smart to get a picture before you fly it.
Rusty

My dad turned 80 yesterday.  I HOPE I look that good in 27 years!  He still rides his Harley, camps and works out too!

Took the Skyray out to maiden her today.  Foiled by a rookie error.  Battery clip shorted and drained.  No flying.  Had I been flying with a buddy today I would've been covered.  Live and learn.Sad

Greg  Smile

Happy Birthday to your dad Greg!
I have had my battery clip do that as well but I'm sure to have a spare pair of d cells at all times cause you just never know.
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:15 pm

The dead battery syndrome has happened to me once or twice and not just with C/L lol I know how it feels!
Very nice Skyray man! lookin' good. (The bandit is impressed)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:28 pm

Nice photo. I thought your dad was you.....He looks about 53.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Greenies for you guys. Thank you... I will pass on those compliments to my dad.  Thanks for the kind words there Bandit about the Skyray.  It's great to have it complete.

NOW I get to switch my avatar to match my name finally now that I have some decent pics of the completed plane.  It was a tossup with the pic below.
OUT with the yellow Sig DeweyBird which conflicted with my screen name!

Hopefully she flies next weekend or maybe I can get out one day this week!! RC Plane

Greg

Father - Son 1/2A Build - Page 2 Sig_sk10
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2