Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Dremel tool hinge slot cutter.   - Page 2 Cox_ba12

My Dremel tool hinge slot cutter.   - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Dremel tool hinge slot cutter.   - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

My Dremel tool hinge slot cutter.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My Dremel tool hinge slot cutter.   - Page 2 Empty Re: My Dremel tool hinge slot cutter.

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 pm

I get that sometimes Bob and when it mis behaves I log off CEF, close Google Chrome, and then fire it all back up and she works again....don't know what the glitch is but I doubt is with CEFs servers...
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Dremel tool hinge slot cutter.   - Page 2 Empty Re: My Dremel tool hinge slot cutter.

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:11 pm

fredvon4 wrote:I get that sometimes Bob and when it mis behaves I log off CEF, close Google Chrome, and then fire it all back up and she works again....don't know what the glitch is but I doubt is with CEFs servers...

Yes, I'm using Vista as my brouser and they have been messing with my hotmail. I ought to get google chrome, just to lazy to go to the trouble. My son wants me to modern up. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ARUP Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:00 pm

The Eldon J. Lind, Co has (had) a neat little hinge slotting tool. I have one. It looks like a tiny pizza pie cutter but the 'wheel' doesn't rotate. The 'wheel' looking portion has evenly spaced teeth about its perimeter. I alternately bent the teeth a little to give is a wider cut for slotting. A similar tool can be made of brass which is what I did when mine was misplaced for a spell. I taped the handle so it wouldn't 'tire' my fingers, being thin and of metal it was uncomfortable to hold and use. You just push it into the balsa and lever it back and forth as it digs a slot. The teeth really do the job!
ARUP
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:20 pm

706jim wrote:...The thin Dremel cutoff discs can be pretty fragile; one minute they are there and the next, nothing but a bare mandrel!
And a crack in your safety glasses.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:53 am

I like that Guide table Fred may have to ck. into it I have a Dremel drill press my Dad bought me years ago and never used it just haven't figured out what for ? Has any one used one of these not that I am going to get it , don't like tools that only do one thing ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-PLANES-Slot-Machine-Motorized-Hinge-Slot-Cutter-Slotting-Tool-GPMR4010-/381513540417?hash=item58d3faa341:g:ur4AAOSwYIhWjwlB getback Babe Bee
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:38 am

getback

The problem I have with most slot cutters is keeping the tool parallel to the center of (usually) thin balsa or balsa/hardwood sandwich.

For larger sized planes with tail feathers or flaps 1/4" fat or larger, this is not that big a problem. But for 1/8th or 3/16th stab/elev a real pain to make the slot straight into the balsa sheet.... When I was using the EzHinges just using a free hand Xacto #11 worked but I did not like how stiff they were for 1/2a and started using Klett Hinges a lot

A lot of words to say that I saw the Great Planes version you are asking about and decided that it might be even harder to keep the piece square to the cutter in use because the tool is so wide

Old guy here with now shaky hands and bad eyesight

The Great Planes version is just a small one of the oscillating tools like the one I have from Rockwell
My Dremel tool hinge slot cutter.   - Page 2 Sonicr10

I had though (Based on Bob's home made Dremel tool holder)  to make a holder for the large oscillating saw in the photo and cut down a blade to plunge cut slots
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2