Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Cox_ba12

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by Kim Today at 3:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Empty Re: cardboard wing on baby ringmaster

Post  akjgardner Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:27 pm

My wife asked how much money do I have in this ........ I said 25 cents.......wing weight....lol
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Empty STUTMAN READY FOR FLIGHT

Post  akjgardner Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:39 pm

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Ringma10      This was not balanced so I added landing gear  . All Ready for the upcoming family fly in
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Empty Re: cardboard wing on baby ringmaster

Post  roddie Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:15 pm

akjgardner wrote:cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Ringma10      This was not balanced so I added landing gear  . All Ready for the upcoming family fly in

Joe, That's a cool-looking little airplane! Do you have weights for either of these models? There's a trick you could try, for flying that Babe Bee inverted without losing fuel out of the vents..

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Dsc02515

If you don't have a "Tee-fitting".. just slit a notch into the center of the tubing that connects the two vents.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks Roddie, the ringmaster weighs in at 7.1 oz the stunt man 8.4 oz. In comparison a cox p4-40 ..9oz...cox pt19...10.1 oz...cox stuka 11oz Nice little trick with the tee fitting.Is that a 1959 babe bee its on?...I'm not ready for too many inverted flights yet....I built these two to get me used to flying in circles again. Actualy I did get a loop in with the ringmster. It flys pretty well for having a cardboard wing.I have not flown the stuntman yet.My next attemp will be a p-40 built the same way.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:48 am

I totally understand Joe. I plan on doing "roundy-rounds" until I get back used to flying again.

I don't know what year that Babe Bee is in my photo. None of my older Cox engines have had their parts kept together.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:47 am

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Cardbo10 almost finished with another cardboard wing stuntman, this one has the dryer sheet elevator hinge. flyi ng it tomarrow at the first annual Gardner Family Flyin.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:18 am

The plane does look cool. Chuck Felton whom has posted several build articles over the years in the now defunct Flying Models mag works exclusively using cardboard. Take a peek at some of the larger cardboard models in the C/L section. Outstanding stuff and neat techniques. http://www.feltondesignanddata.com/
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:33 am

Ken Cook wrote:                     The plane does look cool. Chuck Felton whom has posted several build articles over the years in the now defunct Flying Models mag works exclusively using cardboard. Take a peek at some of the larger cardboard models in the C/L section. Outstanding stuff and neat techniques. http://www.feltondesignanddata.com/
Thanks Ken, I'll check it out
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:08 am

Joe , The Stuntman Looks Great !! Bee waiting on the flight report , You make the cardboard look so much like wood its really cool ! What are you using for paint /color ? This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:30 am

getback wrote:Joe , The Stuntman Looks Great !! Bee waiting on the flight report , You make the cardboard look so much like wood its really cool ! What are you using for paint /color ? This Site Rocks!
Thanks Eric, I put 2 coats of polyurethane on the cardboard, the part that is a little different in color is where it had sigment glue on it. The white black and almond is Krylon. I will bee giving a big flight report this coming week. The kids are all coming over tomorrow and we will all be flying some control line and some RC,I have 4 rc ready to go and 6 control line. Should be a hoot
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:46 pm

Joe, these are all really neat models!

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Cardbo10
cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Ringma10
cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Cardbo11

Are you using any type of bearing/plate for where the bellcrank-screw passes through your cardboard wings? I'd wondered about this before, but forgot to ask. If the screw isn't supported, it could pull-through the cardboard from a hard-yank on the lines.. which might jam your controls. At this stage in the game (models finished..) even small pieces (patches) of fiberglass-screen glued-over the screw-holes top/bottom would provide more "tear-out" protection than the cardboard would alone. Poking pinholes into the cardboard to accept "thick" glue, will further help the screen to adhere without doing any major-surgery. Treating the screw-hole itself to a few drops of thin CA-glue might also strengthen it by wicking into the surrounding material/corrugations. I apologize Joe, if you've already taken the necessary precautions.. but you know me.. Rolling Eyes  

Your latest Stuntman-23 is my personal-favorite! The nose/cheek-blocks are beautifully faired-into the fuse and a good-way's back into the wing. The canopy looks nice too! I can't paint a canopy that looks like a canopy to save my life. I don't fit cheek-blocks to my designs because I reserve the area behind the firewall on my profile-models for running an external fuel-tank. I substitute plywood nose-doublers and vertically-oriented hardwood-blocks epoxied behind the firewall.. which provides a little extra-room for fitting a tank on a short-nosed profile-model.

I hope you have nice calm weather and all goes well for tomorrow!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:24 pm

roddie wrote:Joe, these are all really neat models!

Are you using any type of bearing/plate for where the bellcrank-screw passes through your cardboard wings? I'd wondered about this before, but forgot to ask. If the screw isn't supported, it could pull-through the cardboard from a hard-yank on the lines.. which might jam your controls. At this stage in the game (models finished..) even small pieces (patches) of fiberglass-screen glued-over the screw-holes top/bottom would provide more "tear-out" protection than the cardboard would alone. Poking pinholes into the cardboard to accept "thick" glue, will further help the screen to adhere without doing any major-surgery. Treating the screw-hole itself to a few drops of thin CA-glue might also strengthen it by wicking into the surrounding material/corrugations. I apologize Joe, if you've already taken the necessary precautions.. but you know me.. Rolling Eyes  

Your latest Stuntman-23 is my personal-favorite! The nose/cheek-blocks are beautifully faired-into the fuse and a good-way's back into the wing. The canopy looks nice too! I can't paint a canopy that looks like a canopy to save my life. I don't fit cheek-blocks to my designs because I reserve the area behind the firewall on my profile-models for running an external fuel-tank. I substitute plywood nose-doublers and vertically-oriented hardwood-blocks epoxied behind the firewall.. which provides a little extra-room for fitting a tank on a short-nosed profile-model.

Thanks Rodie, Yes I have beefed up where the bellcrank goes into the wing, I took the pictures before i added the chunk of wood on top of the wings . I am looking foward to tomorrow. Its is supose to be nice and sunny
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:16 pm

Awesome Joe! I'll be with you in spirit! I'll be curious to know how all the models fly.. and especially the two "Stuntmen" Very Happy  

They're quite different dynamically from what I can see; in that the 1st-built model looks to have a similar airfoil to its experimental-predecessor Ringmaster and a 5cc fuel-tank.. where the 2nd-built Stuntman looks to have a flat-sheet wing.. and an 8cc tank.

It would be fun to set-up a "balloon-bust" for the C/L portion of your event tomorrow.. and/or set-up a 2nd handle/lines for a 2-plane combat match with crepe-paper streamers!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:38 pm

I built these all a little different to see what featurs I like. The ringmaster flew surprisingly well the other day.I'm anxious to see if the flat wing stuntman flys better then the v foil. As far as combat goes, This is the first time to fly for every one but my son, and he has yet to make it to 360...lol....maybe the next time...lol.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:44 pm

roddie wrote:Joe, these are all really neat models!

I flew all three of today. the ringmaster flew the best then the v-foil stuntman then the other stuntman. My Son in law had so much fun , he was goin to go home and start building a couple
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 pm

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your family-outing Joe!! Thumbs Up  My children are grown now (late 20's/early 30's) but they remember when I used to fly my C/L models in the side-yard. They were toddlers then. There was a bow-window over-looking the small circle that I flew within. We need to get back there.. and I'm working on it.

Regarding your three C/L models.. would you say that the two "air-foiled" ones were more stable than the latest Stuntman having the flat-wing?

I've been wanting to do some experimenting with KFm-airfoils applied to "flat-sheet" wings.

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Kline-10

It "could be" a relatively easy experiment.. by gluing strips of L/E stock to the flat-panels.. with symmetrically-stepped trailing-strips behind. (see the KFm-10 example)

There's a LOT of fun to be had with small C/L airplanes!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:13 pm

roddie wrote:I'm so glad that you enjoyed your family-outing Joe!! Thumbs Up  My children are grown now (late 20's/early 30's) but they remember when I used to fly my C/L models in the side-yard. They were toddlers then. There was a bow-window over-looking the small circle that I flew within. We need to get back there.. and I'm working on it.

Regarding your three C/L models.. would you say that the two "air-foiled" ones were more stable than the latest Stuntman having the flat-wing?

I've been wanting to do some experimenting with KFm-airfoils applied to "flat-sheet" wings.

cardboard wing on baby ringmaster - Page 2 Kline-10

It "could be" a relatively easy experiment.. by gluing strips of L/E stock to the flat-panels.. with symmetrically-stepped trailing-strips behind. (see the KFm-10 example)

There's a LOT of fun to be had with small C/L airplanes!
Hey Roddie, the 2 with the v-foils did fly better, but the engine on the flat wing wasn't running too good and the might of been the problem, waitinfg on rebuild kits from Matt. I like your glue on airfoil idea alot. I'm going to have to work on that too.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:19 pm

The way I see it Joe.. there's always new-ground to be explored with flying-models. Every single one is unique! I'll be looking forward to your future reports!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  John's Pop Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:00 pm

roddie wrote:It "could be" a relatively easy experiment.. by gluing strips of L/E stock to the flat-panels.. with symmetrically-stepped trailing-strips behind. (see the KFm-10 example)

You can utilize the fold, say the corner of a box, to get your leading edge and then just glue in sheets at appropriate places for your various steps. That's how a lot of guys do it with the electric foamies built out of the 1/4" insulation. Where the bundle is folded, that makes a natural leading edge.
John's Pop
John's Pop
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:15 am

Guys , we’ve been flying the Klein Fogleman airfpil on our RC Foamies for many years now .. Should work great for CL, and very simple to make too ...
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:41 am

Interesting that the plane was ready in 2015 and first flown in 2017. I am not alone in this practise. The clear over the cardboard does look nice. I have made a few similar planes with the coroplast material. The 2mm is the lightest but hard to find. They fly ok but not great. I tried cardboard quite a few years ago after reading an old magazine plan from the 1960s called the Bamboozle, I used a tri wall cardboard which was much too heavy, then went to the coroplast which was new at the time.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:17 am

There’s always Foam wings Shocked … We’be been discussing control line Foamies … at https://www.rcgroups.com/foamies-scratchbuilt-428/
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Foamies are cool. I have some of the blue fanfold stuff burning a hole in my brain for the 1/2A stuff. Like the SPADs too. Foam is plastic, it rates.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GPW Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:46 am

A friend mentioned that polyurethane would make foam “fuelproof “ , or so the castor oil wouldn’t sink in … I recall Cox experimenting with foam wings some time ago … wasn’t it like a ME109 CL stunt plane ( ? ) Laughing
GPW
GPW
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  aspeed Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 am

Norvel had some flat foamies for a short time as well Used a curved cutout in the fuselage to make a wing airfoil. There was printed decorations on the foam. Not sure if it was paper or plastic.
aspeed
aspeed
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next