Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

a bit of a flight report Cox_ba12

a bit of a flight report Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Today at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Today at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Today at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Today at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:28 pm

» Cox Pinto question
by Bill steklenski Yesterday at 10:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

a bit of a flight report Empty
Live on Patrol

a bit of a flight report

Go down

a bit of a flight report Empty a bit of a flight report

Post  rogermharris Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Well...

Finally after about two weeks we had a decent enough evening to fly. I bit breezy but what can you do but deal with it.

I made up a longer set of lines (32') on a new handle to try. Was a bit too long with the wind we had and were having to chase the slack so we went back to the short 22' lines. I will have to try somewhere in between.

Had a bit of a rough outing. Broke two props. One... Michael had the handle upsidedow nosing it into the ground on takeoff and the other was me flying the new trainer without doing a preflight check for equal line length with a level handle so between the wind and the elevator being up about twenty degrees with the handle level and long slack lines, it did about three loops and in the process of trying to get it under control and back down it caught the prop and broke it.

We now have to remember our basics and always do a pre flight check of the controls. Just too rushed after not getting out a guess.

Switched to the bipedal that had a 5x4 prop on it. Guess it does not pull hard enough and will try a 6x3 next time but it went straight up about ten foot in a slight just of wind followed by a stall and nose dive into the ground. It split part of the lower wing and ripped the machine gun off the top wing. This was the larger heavier 1/8" ply machine gun. The one that will be in the kit will bee 1/16" ply and a little smaller. Hopefully the next flight out will be succesful for the bipe.
I did have a guy come by the has been flying since a kit with his grandfather. He has a few of his old planes and brings out the control line planes now and then. He had heard us flying and stopped by to check things out. In the process I sold him a bipe kit! The wind calmed down as we were ready to wrap it up so I flew Michaels brodak mustang on its maiden flight. ( He is afraid to fly it yet) but he is flying much more consistent. It's a slow heavy flyer but stable and well behaved. Lots of fun.. Lots of excitement and a bit of disappointment for today but it's all good.
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

a bit of a flight report Empty Re: a bit of a flight report

Post  Ken Cook Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:53 pm

Roger, a simple effective way to avoid the handle upside down situation is a safety thong. You and your son should be flying with one regardless. The thong would be placed over the hand and onto the wrist therefore not allowing upside down orientation. How the lines get hooked onto the model is another scenario. I place red heat shrink tube for my up and green for my down, there's no confusion.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Ken Cook wrote:              Roger, a simple effective way to avoid the handle upside down situation is a safety thong. You and your son  should be flying with one regardless. The thong would be placed over the hand and onto the wrist therefore not allowing upside down orientation. How the lines get hooked onto the model is another scenario. I place red heat shrink tube  for my up and green for my down, there's no confusion.
a bit of a flight report 58677209-6DC0-435E-A776-FB0108F019FE

Using a thong and the handle has a thumb grip. I also paint the up line clip with red nail polish. I just need to remember to do a preflight check of the controls prior to starting the engine. Gotta get back in the habit of doing so.
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:33 pm

Glad you got a go at it !!! I heard you say at one time you take off into the wind I thought the same thing but should bee take off with the wing,,, gives you time to get ready and speed up to go into the wind more stable with just lift from wind Very Happy  a bit of a flight report Cl_aer10 notice were they take off at Smile
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:40 pm

These little planes are so light they nose over when taking off with much of a tail wind. I will try and make some adjustment to taking off with some side wind. All part of relearning I guess.  Thanks for the diagram Eric!
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:46 am

Here is some more info I am sure you know but is easy to forget http://brodak.com/solo_flight , do you have any 4.50x4 '' props was what we most were using in reed speed for more RRRRRs and good thrust http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-propeller-yellow-4.5-x-4.html since you have wind most time it seems , wing tip weight ck. , rudder off set ? , any engine right thrust off set ? just 2% can make a huge difference ,Just some reminders Smile I would try and keep those lines 30-35 ' maybe a little wiping action to get here in the air also
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:00 am

Thanks Eric!

I don't have any smaller props. I will have to order some and see how they do.
I have the proper tip weight and rudder offset. I generally overdo the rudder offset instead of angling the engine but that's an easy thing to try. I also have the the wire guide shifted back on the wing tip a little to pitch the plane to the right

All good suggestion and reminders none the less

I will try a few degrees of right thrust with the 30' lines and order some different props. I have been running the master airscrew 6 x 3's and they pull well, just break easy. Bring back the old white top flight props!  You could beat the snot out of those props

Last edited by rogermharris on Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:51 am

Glad you had a good time!

Any Babe Bee should pull well enough on 35' lines. Even with a 6x3 and draggy dacron lines. You might want to check your landing gear placement instead of playing with props.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:00 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Glad you had a good time!

Any Babe Bee should pull well enough on 35' lines. Even with a 6x3 and draggy dacron lines.  You might want to check your landing gear placement instead of playing with props.

you think i should try moving the gear back? i'm sure the trainer would stunt better with the wheels back near the c/g and check the balance. i will have to do some playing and will certainly report what i find. i have also ordered a hand full of the 4.5 x 4 props along with a couple parts i needed. it's almost impossible for me to put in a small order from cox. lol!

it's all fun and thank guys for all the input Thumbs Up
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:01 pm

You mentioned it was nosing over, move the wheels forward. I've never had to use more than a 3 pitch on anything other than a speed plane, although I am no expert by any stretch.

A 4 pitch will take longer to spool up and will eventually spin you around faster. Especially on short lines.

You should really post some video if possible. I did a lot when I was starting out. I received a lot of help (and ribbing) I was greatful though as it helped me to be a better pilot. You already have some experience under your belt so it will go much faster for you.

Just a thought.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ElectricTony Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:02 pm

getback wrote:Glad you got a go at it !!! I heard you say at one time you take off into the wind I thought the same thing but should bee take off with the wing,,, gives you time to get ready and speed up to go into the wind more stable with just lift from wind Very Happy  a bit of a flight report Cl_aer10  notice were they take off at Smile

I would have a hard enough time doing some of these 100' in the air with r/c...
I can't imagine doing it much closer to the ground on the end of a string.
As a kid flying control line I had all to do to keep it flying without stunts and not getting dizzy. The most I ever managed was a few loops!
You guys got it all over me!!! Shocked

Tony
ElectricTony
ElectricTony
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:39 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:You mentioned it was nosing over, move the wheels forward. I've never had to use more than a 3 pitch on anything other than a speed plane, although I am no expert by any stretch.

A 4 pitch will take longer to spool up and will eventually spin you around faster. Especially on short lines.

You should really post some video if possible. I did a lot when I was starting out. I received a lot of help (and ribbing) I was greatful though as it helped me to be a better pilot. You already have some experience under your belt so it will go much faster for you.

Just a thought.

the nose overs where due to tail wind pretty much on release. the landing gear on all my planes right now is mounted to the firewall. i will work through everything suggested and see how it goes. mabee some video with the next report.. i know at least for me that i can pick lots of things up from watching my own flights on video
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:49 pm

I see, that must have been one windy day!!

Sometimes my launch point will vary depending on prevailing winds. In that scenario I would launch with a cross wind going into the windward side of the circle.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:15 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I see, that must have been one windy day!!

Sometimes my launch point will vary depending on prevailing winds. In that scenario I would launch with a cross wind going into the windward side of the circle.

Makes sence to launch with a cross wind to push the plane out.
I think I need to get some of my " I'm flying planes again" excitement
I was a little rushed getting out yesterday and three new planes out for their maiden flight got me going in too many directions I guess. lol!
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down