Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Cox_ba12

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 7:23 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 6:59 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

The RMH Bipe build thread

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The RMH Bipe build thread

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:12 pm

Thread hijacking is tolerated here and I am quite guilty on occasion

HappyDad...I am 10 years your junior but have several very similar SNAFU stories

Probably best for another topic and or hijack later...grin

In fact here on CEF we have several veterans with interesting stories to tell

All my army brat youth, no matter where we were stationed, there was somebody doing model airplanes, or cars or rockets or working boats...I had a lot of mentors
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Empty i wasn't a military brat, but...

Post  happydad Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:46 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Thread hijacking is tolerated here and I am quite guilty on occasion

HappyDad...I am 10 years your junior but have several very similar SNAFU stories

Probably best for another topic and or hijack later...grin

In fact here on CEF we have several veterans with interesting stories to tell

All my army brat youth, no matter where we were stationed, there was somebody doing model airplanes, or cars or rockets or working boats...I had a lot of mentors

Fredvon4: I wasn't a military brat, but my dad worked at Consolidated Vultee, which became General Dynamics, Convair later and he built the bombers for WW2, then later worked on all kinds of special aircraft that GD developed for NASA and General Dynamics. He did sheet metal work on the first aircraft to break the sound barrier, the XF-1 and other aircraft for General Dynamics that never made it to production such as the pogo stick, XFY-1, and the Sea Dart, XFY-2.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Convai10
Pogo Stick

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Sea-da10
Sea Dart

General Dynamics Convair lost several good pilots trying to make these 2 planes work, but the planes failed not the pilots.

enjoy

happydad  RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:08 pm

DAmn i'll finish reading that tomorrow , I don't want to say that ya'll have done it and seen it yet ... Nice looing plane Fred ! I like the scheme and should fly great at 6 gm. and a Medallion, I was taking a break from the Zero and have to getback now . Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Empty Back to the RH laser RM Bipe kit

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:06 pm

I love wood props especially for old style aircraft

I sharp eye will see the copper I pinched over the wheel struts to add a bit of weight and get CG further forward. Now about 3/8" back from LE of top wing
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 20150911

This photo reminded me to take a sharpie to the RH wheels where I did not get off all the silver used to fill in the lettering
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 20150912

If the wood prop is too light to make the Medallion happy I have a good selection here to play with
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 20150913

This photo shows why you can not brush silver. When I sprayed the part it was beautiful but masking and dorking around I made scratches and blemishes....Tried brushing the silver over the bad areas and once dry it sucks
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 20150914

Well folks this is the kit from Roger Harris and all in all I really enjoyed building it. I want one more to build and finish better .... never to fly but to hang above my growing flight deck

In the back ground you may see a Demon under construction...going to start another thread about what this summer has been like with my shift from competition combat to concentrating on old skool combat and stunt aircraft
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:49 pm

fredvon4 wrote:I love wood props especially for old style aircraft

I sharp eye will see the copper I pinched over the wheel struts to add a bit of weight and get CG further forward. Now about 3/8" back from LE of top wing
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 20150911

This photo reminded me to take a sharpie to the RH wheels where I did not get off all the silver used to fill in the lettering
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 20150912

If the wood prop is too light to make the Medallion happy I have a good selection here to play with
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 20150913

This photo shows why you can not brush silver. When I sprayed the part it was beautiful but masking and dorking around I made scratches and blemishes....Tried brushing the silver over the bad areas and once dry it sucks
The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 20150914

Well folks this is the kit from Roger Harris and all in all I really enjoyed building it. I want one more to build and finish better .... never to fly but to hang above my growing flight deck

In the back ground you may see a Demon under construction...going to start another thread about what this summer has been like with my shift from competition combat to concentrating on old skool combat and stunt aircraft

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ps my great great uncles was a taill gunner on a wellington bomber and the other was a navigator of a landcast they were british an emigrated to canada and then came back to england to help out in the war and they both died on the same night in 1943 the wellington was shot down over the channel the whole crew died and the lancaster was shot down by a yellow nose fw 190 ace over France and my great uncle was the last to get out but he was too late and the port wing folded and he got crushed... his name was bruce and the other was john and my grandad was then named after bruce
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:40 pm

See---- even our youngster from down under has interesting history to add.

Thanks for sharing Greg

My experience is all of us little boys at some time or another dreamed of flying, or racing cars, or building a bad ass boat and sailing around the world. Many of us had some acquaintance or ancestor that did those things. Ohter of us reead about such adventures in comic books or on the real world news. Some of us followed the dreams to some extent and other wise found MODELING a great compromise and very fulfilling

I have flown several times in Stearman bi-planes (crop dusters) mostly as passenger and a few times being coached through basic maneuvers. Alas I only ever could afford to own a Ultra Light and that short lived as I was sent to Germany and had to store it to the point of deterioration of all the covering

Too old now to build or buy a real biplane-- but that is where my dreams take me....this Roger Harris Bipe was as much fun to stare at and dream as it was to build and finish
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Empty hey, why are you too old

Post  happydad Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:06 pm

fredvon4 wrote:See---- even our youngster from down under has interesting history to add.

Thanks for sharing Greg

My experience is all of us little boys at some time or another dreamed of flying, or racing cars, or building a bad ass boat and sailing around the world. Many of us had some acquaintance or ancestor that did those things. Ohter of us reead about such adventures in comic books or on the real world news. Some of us followed the dreams to some extent and other wise found MODELING a great compromise and very fulfilling

I have flown several times in Stearman bi-planes (crop dusters) mostly as passenger and a few times being coached through basic maneuvers. Alas I only ever could afford to own a Ultra Light and that short lived as I was sent to Germany and had to store it to the point of deterioration of all the covering

Too old now to build or buy a real biplane-- but that is where my dreams take me....this Roger Harris Bipe was as much fun to stare at and dream as it was to build and finish

Too old for what? you have got to be kidding me. I'm 70 and my goal this year was to surf with my daughter, but my hip interfered and the other one is just as bad, let alone my right knee. My new goal is to body surf this year with the grand kids. They live near the water and the ocean and go almost every weekend because the water has been as warm as 76 degrees F. here in the shallower waters. Like La Jolla and even in some parts of Carlsbad.

happy happydad RC Plane Blow up Mad! Blow up Mad!
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:06 pm

fredvon4 wrote:See---- even our youngster from down under has interesting history to add.

Thanks for sharing Greg

Reading the above really hit home with me. There's something about a biplane that's extra appealing to me. The excitement of "wind in the wires".. flying! A wood prop.. tail-dragger. I have some really great VHS tapes of the early days of U.S. Air Mail.. Dare-Devil "Wing-Walking".. golden age of aviation. I'd highly recommend watching if you can find them.

I built (1992) a 1/2A profile bipe using tracings of the top and bottom wings of a Sterling 1" scale Dr1 kit E2. They're solid slab-wings of 1/8" (3mm) balsa. The fuse is a 1/4" balsa profile of the Sterling kit's fuse. The tail-feathers are tracings as well.. made from 1/8" sheet. I balanced it for a Babe Bee.. and it became my utility plane. It towed banners.. and was a test-bed for different props. The Babe Bee was bone-stock.. and I used Sig Champion "25" for fuel. The landing gear was tall enough to fit up to an 8" prop. I once bushed the hub of a wood J. Zinger 8 x 3.. and the Babe Bee actually achieved a 2-stroke firing. The sound was more in line with a scale exhaust note. I used to fly it on 25-26 foot lines in my side yard. I later swapped-out the Babe Bee for a Prod. Engine (horseshoe back-plate) and 10cc wedge-tank. The reedies draw fuel pretty reliably. This airplane however.. was too heavy for aerobatics. A Tee Dee (I have two now..) might wake-up the design.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Rog_cu10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:53 am

Roddie, You have shown that plane a couple of times and I always wanted to copy it. I may get Roger to cut me a few more RM Bipes and kit bash one to look like your wing design and profile.

Well folks Ringmaster Fly- A- Thon is fast approaching and I see only 4 of the Roger Harris beginner Bipe builds in this thread

I would have to go back, but I thought about 7 or 8 of us CEFers ordered the kits

Would love to see how others built and finished theirs

I will ask in a PM to Roger if he has time to cut a few more RH RM Bipe kits. It occurs to me he has not posted in a bit or at least I haven't noticed any thing from him here in about a month
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:39 am

WOW fred!! it came out really cool! love the color scheme. it should really move with that engine. i could do a scalloped version of the wing. i love that one too roddie!

Fred i have not been on much. i have been stopping by for a quick look around now and then. been so busy i have not even had a change to repair my planes from my last outing mid july... i am going to do my best to make repairs this week and get out for the fly-a-thon we have unsettled weather forecast for most of the week so hopefully that changes.

killing me not being able to devote some time to the hobby the last few weeks...
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Empty Gotta do what ya gotta do

Post  fredvon4 Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:55 pm

Yea I understand I have been super busy also but being retired I can pick and choose some projects...except the ones from she who must be obeyed....grin

Let us know when you come up for air and can do some more of your kits

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:57 pm

fredvon4 wrote:Roddie, You have shown that plane a couple of times and I always wanted to copy it. I may get Roger to cut me a few more RM Bipes and kit bash one to look like your wing design and profile.

The scallops are an approximate 2" radius. IIRC, I used an Aero-Gloss Bottle with sandpaper taped to it, to form them. I had to look at the model tonight, to see how I installed the bottom wing in the fuse.. (it's a 23 year-old scratch-build) I cut up from the bottom of the fuse for the wing's root-chord to fit up into. I then installed a filler-block to fair into the belly. It's a pretty wing.. but I stand corrected. It's a tracing of the DR-1's central wing.. not the bottom one. It's span is 20.5" w/a 3" chord. The top wing has a 23.5" span/5" chord.. with a 117" area.. compared to the 20.75" span/102" sq. area of the Ring-Bipe.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Sterli10

Those lead-outs were OVERKILL .050" solids.. Shocked why not just put a lead-filled pipe on the inboard wing.  Laughing It flew fine with a nickel on the outboard tip. The wing struts are popsicle-sticks.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Rog_cu11

Below adaptation of a horseshoe back-plate/external tank. A Killer-Bee on bladder-feed would've provided some muscle.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Rog_cu12

The Ring Bipe is a little smaller. I cant wait to see some flights!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Empty don't you ever do anything but build

Post  happydad Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:55 am

roddie wrote:
fredvon4 wrote:Roddie, You have shown that plane a couple of times and I always wanted to copy it. I may get Roger to cut me a few more RM Bipes and kit bash one to look like your wing design and profile.

The scallops are an approximate 2" radius. IIRC, I used an Aero-Gloss Bottle with sandpaper taped to it, to form them. I had to look at the model tonight, to see how I installed the bottom wing in the fuse.. (it's a 23 year-old scratch-build) I cut up from the bottom of the fuse for the wing's root-chord to fit up into. I then installed a filler-block to fair into the belly. It's a pretty wing.. but I stand corrected. It's a tracing of the DR-1's central wing.. not the bottom one. It's span is 20.5" w/a 3" chord. The top wing has a 23.5" span/5" chord.. with a 117" area.. compared to the 20.75" span/102" sq. area of the Ring-Bipe.

Those lead-outs were OVERKILL .050" solids.. Shocked why not just put a lead-filled pipe on the inboard wing.  Laughing It flew fine with a nickel on the outboard tip. The wing struts are popsicle-sticks.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Rog_cu11

Below adaptation of a horseshoe back-plate/external tank. A Killer-Bee on bladder-feed would've provided some muscle.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Rog_cu12

The Ring Bipe is a little smaller. I cant wait to see some flights!

Roddie: Don't you ever have time for work? All you ever do is build. lol!
         When can you come down this way and straighten me out so I can get some building done?
               Very nice work. What else can I say?What I Meant To Say Thank You

happydad Up Late Again
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:45 pm

happydad wrote:

Roddie: Don't you ever have time for work? All you ever do is build. lol!
         When can you come down this way and straighten me out so I can get some building done?
               Very nice work. What else can I say?What I Meant To Say Thank You

happydad Up Late Again

LaughingLaughingLaughing Oh man... I haven't done much building lately.. not compared to some of the members here who pump out 4-6 models a year. I see this hobby as one that I will really enjoy in later years. I enjoy stocking-up on building-materials, collecting useful data, building fixtures/jigs etc. When the time is right, I'll be pretty well prepared to build models on a regular basis. Space is at a premium in my basement.. and it's the only space I have to work in right now.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Just a little loose fit update I got the upper wing looking better , Trying to work on two planes at one time is about all I can handle now the SUN is out I need to go Mow ! DAMMIT! The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Brb_as10 The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Brb_as11 Now I see Jim has got the reed speed qualifying photos up lol! all I got is sticks . Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:27 pm

colorful bird there eric.. i like it!
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:46 pm

I like it also, gonna look cool when it is done

Our weather down here is still hot and no rain so no mowing yet but it is coming soon
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:02 pm

Wonderful Autumn colors Eric. Finish it in time for Halloween and fly it at midnight under a full moon. I'd buy tickets. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:59 pm

getback wrote:Just a little loose fit update I got the upper wing looking better , Trying to work on two planes at one time is about all I can handle now the SUN is out I need to go Mow ! DAMMIT!   The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Brb_as10  The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Brb_as11  Now I see Jim has got the reed speed qualifying photos up lol!  all I got is sticks . Eric Very Happy

I Like it Eric! I'd like to see you put a woman pilot in it.. with long blonde hair and big sunglasses. Laughing I'm in the same boat as you with reed speed.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:02 am

Well, it's been a while since we heard any progress on the RM Bipes, and with the Ringmaster Fly-a-thon coming up, how many have made it into the air yet?  Mine certainly hasn't progressed very far, but a few in this thread look to be complete by some of the pictures, but no flight reports? Rolling Eyes   Only Roger's own video.  Surely there's gotta be a few out there that have done a few circuits.  If not, why not?
DAMMIT!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:38 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Well, it's been a while since we heard any progress on the RM Bipes, and with the Ringmaster Fly-a-thon coming up, how many have made it into the air yet?  Mine certainly hasn't progressed very far, but a few in this thread look to be complete by some of the pictures, but no flight reports? Rolling Eyes   Only Roger's own video.  Surely there's gotta be a few out there that have done a few circuits.  If not, why not?
DAMMIT!

Why not? Because I'm

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Chicke10

Don't want to get the pretty little thing all gummed up with castor and nitro.

Afraid I will "lawn dart" it.

Can't find the time.

Don't have a stooge.

To hot.....etc. etc. etc.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:26 pm

Yeah, me too, Affraid or WOW! but there's a lot more seasoned & regular flyers than us, so I'm surprised that nothing much seems to have happened amongst the regulars.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:57 am

rsv1cox wrote:Gimmie time Eric, gimmie time.  I may poop out yet, my attention span isn't what it used to be.  Smile Smile

I used my handy dandy Dremel hinge slot cutter.  Cut eight perfect slots in less than a minute.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Bipe%20Enya%20F4%20004_zpshsp2ialc

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Bipe%20Enya%20F4%20005_zpsg9erls9b

Cut the forward cockpit for this trainer version of Rogers Bipe.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Bipe%20Enya%20F4%20007_zpslddcfbsr

It's loosely based on and will be painted like this:

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Yellow%20peril%20%20blue%20tail_zpspe0yvihs

Final sanded with 320 grit,  Next to assemble, add one last coat of primer, then color.  

Poor neglected F4U.  Up on the shelf for now.  Smile

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 Bipe%20Enya%20F4%20008_zpsssa5t4pl

Well Rod after reviewing this thread I think that many did such a nice job on their builds that maybe they don't want to dirty them up or worse. Mine doesn't fall into that category so I will fly it. Let me build a reliable stooge and set a date.

Meanwhile, I continue to work on the F4U-1 designed by Sterling to be C/L but the previous owner modified it for R/C so I'm continuing that effort for better or worse. I am making use of that "clownish" canopy as a receptacle for the receiver which works out well as there is no accessible space inside the air-frame for it. A splitter allows use of two aileron servos one in each wing making control linkage so much easier. Tiny servos and a tiny receiver will keep the weight down. Power will be an OS .20.

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 F4u_ra10

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 F4u_ra13

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 F4u_ra11

The RMH Bipe build thread - Page 4 F4u_ra12

Maybe building them is more fun than flying them. Sad
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter