Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Rescue Nobler Cox_ba12

The Rescue Nobler Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 17:59

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by roddie Today at 17:54

» How's the weather?
by rsv1cox Today at 17:32

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 15:27

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 15:03

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 4:59

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 4:15

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 18:47

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 17:57

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 15:59

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 13:46

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 12:33

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Rescue Nobler Empty
Live on Patrol

The Rescue Nobler

Go down

The Rescue Nobler Empty The Rescue Nobler

Post  RknRusty Thu 30 Jul 2015 - 19:05

Someone left this plane like a baby on a doorstep at the Joe Nall C/L fields a couple of years ago. Wayne and Dave Wenzel looked it over and found the hinges epoxied together and looking pretty sad. Neither of them and nobody else wanted it, so it was left abandoned. When Wayne was packed and about to leave for home, he noticed it in the bed of his truck. So it came home and sat in his shop.

He finally took a look, cut the hinges loose and re-hinged it. The original mystery builder hadn't removed the Monokote to glue the wing in place, so with one whap, it was liberated from the fuse. It got new leadouts and a proper re-assembly, complete with a Brodak 40. This was the Summer I was learning to fly PA with the Shoestring, and learning to trim a plane, so I spotted while Wayne flew, and we got it balanced and wings level, and then it re-entered semi retirement. After I started flying the Oriental, knowing I couldn't go back to a profile for competition, I commented on needing a backup plane. Soon after, the Nobler appeared in my shop. Cool.

I couldn't fit my 4oz former Oriental tank in the front end, but a Dubro 4 oz. clunk looked perfect. I never had any luck making a uniflow out of these, even with explanations and pictures from our experts. I had tried without success on the Osprey, R.I.P. But standard vent with muffler pressure worked very well on that one, so here's what I rigged up for the Rescue Nobler.
The Rescue Nobler Wp_20120

I bent and soldered the overflow and pressure lines so they end tight in the middle of the "O" where "Dubro" is stamped on the top narrow side. I alkso bought a set of external vents from Tom Morris for $5 bucks. Something that I'll make myself in a few minutes in the future. You'll see them in the video. I fill through the one that gets muffler pressure.

The engine is the OS .35fp that powered the old Copeland Skyray until it exploded on impact after the Criterium at Watts field. The post contest fun fly. All cleaned out and bolted in, she was ready for a test run this morning. I've had such good luck with the .40fp setup on my Oreo, I treated this one the same, with an APC 10.5x4.5 prop and an Enya #3 plug. Also an OS-762 muffler opened up and lightened.

I had my electric starter, tach and stopwatch at hand, and only needed one flip with the chicken stick and she was off and running. My 3.5 turns on the NV were about right. Happiness is about the same RPM range as the 40, maybe a few RPM slower, about 10.5K. It that speed I can point it nose up and get a quick clean break to 2-stroke, and also quick back to a 4-stroke when I set it back down. It did speed up as it finished its fuel... or heated up, that remains to be figured out. 7:22 on the stopwatch. I'm excited to fly her now. Plans were to fly this afternoon, but my flying buddy decided he'd rather wait for the cooler low 90s this weekend. Oh well, that works, because when I was cleaning up the Rescue, I found the stab had come unglued and was flopping, so I can get some epoxy in there. I don't know where to balance it, but it looks a bit nose heavy right now. It seems very light but I forgot to weigh it before I closed up shop.

https://youtu.be/TtVlrbYaoxo

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

The Rescue Nobler Empty Re: The Rescue Nobler

Post  rogermharris Thu 30 Jul 2015 - 19:21

well you certainly can't beat it for the price!! good looking plane rusty!
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu 30 Jul 2015 - 19:30

She sounded Good glad you caught that stab being loose , don't think I recall seeing you fly a Nobler Huh... hope it works out well for a back up , Flight Vids. Very Happy Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu 30 Jul 2015 - 19:38

Is that the crusty green nobler I saw when I was there?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu 30 Jul 2015 - 19:49

Cribbs74 wrote:Is that the crusty green nobler I saw when I was there?
Haha, no, that one is still crusty and green. Living in the back room with the crusty strange colored Piuma keeping each other company. Neither of those are ARFs, and will be the ones that teach me how to re-cover the old way. Eric, I've never flown a Nobler before, so this will be my first. It has red dots on the wings that are patches where tall grass weeds slapped it during landings. I might get some of those bullet hole stickers for it. It's in serious need of decorating, solid blue all over. Gotta rip Wayne's numbers off too Lol.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down