Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Jerobee Corvette

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Empty Re: Jerobee Corvette

Post  OVERLORD Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:41 pm

Thanks Roddie,

I think you are mixing up the throttle control rod and the brake rod. The rod for the throttle is straight. The rod for the brake has a strange shape and hinges on the chassis.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp6127

The Greenwood Corvette is a little different from the Comando (Mc Laren Mk8) and the Bandero (Porsche). It has the external tank, a brake and wider tyres. It was delivered standard with the heat sink and a lexan body, much lighter than the ABS one. Bolow a picture of the original box:

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Getuse10

I took the head of and I could see only 1 transfer port. Although the Jerobee blog says that there are 2:

"Greenwood Corvette.
The Corvette was a mid range kit.
On the box it says " Not recommended for beginners".

The Corvette had a twin intake ports in the cylinder and a large external tank. Wider chromed wheels with foam tires was standard equipment.
The body was made out of Lexan, not the hard Cycolac plastic as the McLaren and the Challenger had.
This was the fastest Jerobee with Cox Babe Bee and pull start, only the Cox Tee Dee version was faster."

http://jerobee.blogspot.fr/

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:39 pm

OVERLORD wrote:Thanks Roddie,

I think you are mixing up the throttle control rod and the brake rod. The rod for the throttle is straight. The rod for the brake has a strange shape and hinges on the chassis.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp6127

I took the head of and I could see only 1 transfer port. Although the Jerobee blog says that there are 2:

Lieven

Yes, I see now. Still.. even straight, it's a novel way of converting to a sweeping-motion of the rod to rotate the clip/barrel. The band-brake's pushrod is baffling me. Is there a 2nd servo-horn beneath the throttle horn? I can see how it would work.. but can't see it connected anywhere. It appears that clockwise servo movement opens the throttle and releases tension on the band using the same servo.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:45 am

Rodie, The hook of the brake rod is out of the hole and sits just below the servo horn. It just catches in the hole but need refixing.

This picture of another car shows the set up. Look at the small fan to cool the engine!

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Chassi10

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Empty My Jerobee is fantastic

Post  OVERLORD Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:13 pm

As it's a calm period at work, I decided to give my Jerobee Corvette a clean. With a cotton bud and alcohol, I cleaned the chassis and all corners. I removed the engine for further cleaning. The tube to which connects the fuel pipe from the tank is the standard Cox pick up tube with the spring.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7514

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7515

I removed the heat sink and head. The cylinder has 1 bypass port. The flyweights, clutch shaft and bell house bearing were in good condition. The hexagonal rear axle turns in plastic bearings that you have to pry open for fitting around the shaft. There is a little play on the rear axle gear. No play was found on the rear wheels. They are secured to the shaft with C clips. The brake band is a tie wrap from an electrician.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7516

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7517

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7518

After assembling everything back together, I tested the servos. The steering servo was OK but the throttle servo was totally dead without giving any noise at all. Both servos are glued with époxy to the chassis. I tried to cut around the bottom edge of the servo with a knife to remove it without success. Not wanting to damage the chassis, I left it on there and decided to cut off the plastic servo shaft and to use the servo as a bracket for the replacement servo. This new servo is a lot smaller and fixed with a tie wrap to the original one.  This meant I had to make a new throttle shaft and extend the brake lever. Before, the brake lever was also fixed to the servo wheel. I decided to just make a hook: when the servo is turned the other way, it pulls the hook and brakes will be applied without significantly change idle.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7519

IDLE

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7520

FULL THROTTLE

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7521

BRAKING

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7522

I just filled the tank with some fuel and will let it sit during the night to loosen residues. To be continued.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:07 pm

wow nice! vettie i would love to have one of those Very Happy
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:16 pm

Regarding the "Postwoman" headline.

I always tip the local mail carriers (two ladies) at Christmas. This Christmas I used a priority mail label on the envelope and typed "To the worlds's best mail carriers" on it. I'm still getting "Thank you" cards from these ladies that deliver the mail in all kinds of weather.

These are "contract" mail carriers. In our very rural post offfice there is just one government postal employee so there is no conflict of interest in them accepting a gift.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:52 pm

I can't get over what a mechanical marvel this model is.. and it's luckily in the hands of a fine hobbyist!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:09 am

Looks to be cleaning up good for you , that will put some pep in you step . looking good Lieven , getback Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:13 am

Lucky duck Overlord, what a mechanical marvel in deed and in such great shape!
Awesome find and now in the safety of a skilled hobbyist that will take care of it and bring it back for all to see and enjoy. Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo

Cheers!
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:58 am

Nice jerobe! I've seen one of those years ago. BTW you know that you can get a gear set for that S3001 servo right?
Part number is FUTM3400 same gear set as the futaba S148 and the servo is still in production bope this helps! (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:59 pm

Thanks guys, you're all very kind.

Thanks Bandit for the info. The reason why the servo stayed on the chassis as it was, is the fact that I can't get it off in a way that wouldn't damage the chassis. And because I can't remove the servo, I can't get to the bolts underneath to take it apart. The servo doesn't have a gear problem, I think it's an electronic failure or maybe just a loose wire on the circuit board!!

I had a look at the steering today. Not exactly Akkerman!!

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7610

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7611

To get tru rolling of the front wheels in a curve, the inner wheel should be more at an angle than the outer wheel. The pics above show the opposite. It's all in the linkages and connections to the steering arms. On original factory pictures, the steering rod is fixed between the servo and the most forward hole of the steering arm. On my model, both steering linkages are fixed to the rear hole in the steering arms. This makes a big difference. I uncoupled the ball joints at each side and put the servo in both left and right end positions. I then put each end of the steering linkages on the forward hole of the steering arm and that gives a better result:

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7612

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7613

Both ball joints will be moved forward and the I'll adjust the linkages to get a slight toe in for stable driving.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:04 am

As said above, I removed the ball joints from the steering arms to move them forward and obtain a better wheel position while steering. The left one screwed out all right, but when I was half way on the right right ball joint... oh malheur!!!!... a part of the steering arm fell off. It seems to have been broken already before just in way of the enlarged hole for the ball joint. I discovered some glue on the steering arm.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7614

I made 2 new steering arms from a sheet of ABS to glue on the original ones for repair and to reinforce.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7615

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7616

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7617

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7618

I stuck both steering arms on with époxy. It is still drying until tomorrow.

There was plenty of rubbish in the fuel tank so I removed the plug. The rubber gasket is "slightly dated". I'm thinking of replacing the complete tank.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7619
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:08 am

Lieven.  A picture that you posted earler (which I have attached) shows a different steering set-up with a rigid tie-rod joining the steering arms at the outer hole and the control rod (drag-link) coming from the servo to the inner hole on one arm.  This would maintain a better geometry than the set-up you are using.  The trouble with your system is that as the servo rotates the relationship between the two steering arms changes, effectivily altering the toe-in as the rods raise and lower due to the rotation of the servo.

I'll try to explain what I mean.  The two ball joints attached to your servo appear to be about 20mm apart when set straight ahead.  As the servo rotates, the ball joints move together in the horizontal plane.  At 90° of rotation, the gap is completely gone in a horizontal sense.  This is reducing the toe-in by 20mm at "full lock".  

I hope I explained it ok, but I think you need to change the design to what is pictured here.
Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Chassi10

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:37 am

Thanks Rod, yes I know; that's the original Jerobe set up with a proper track rod between both wheels. On some pictures, the track rod is connected to the forward holes and on others, to the rear ones. On my model, a previous owner mounted the servo saver and the more recent setup with 2 linkages. I just connected the linkages and did a test but it's still not the way it should be. I'll try to make a a proper track rod with only 1 linkage from the servo saver to the left steering arm.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:20 am

Swapping the track rod from the front holes to the rear will not seriously alter the steering geometry, but will alter the ratio significantly between the servo and the wheels. It depends on how sensitive you want the steering. There will probably be a little bit of difference to the "toe-out on turns" as we call it, if you use the different holes, but it would be negligible.

I have had to try to rectify a couple of vehicles (full size) which had steering geometry faults and I can tell you for sure, you will nevr make the system that you have work correctly if you continue to allow the tie-rods to have up & down movement at the servo end due to servo rotation. Some type of bellcrank arrangement may help, but I would definitely use a common track rod to join the two sides to each other.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:41 am

Just throwing this out there... how about installing a linear servo and/or a small mixing tray.. if you could build one to fit? Is the steering servo glued to the chassis too?

Here's a small one..

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Linear10

buy it here

or this.. which fits the Futaba S3003 servo.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Linear11

buy it here
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:46 am

Yes this servo is also glued onto the chassis. That's a nice little servo. Just as in the early days of RC but much smaller.

I made a track rod and a new linkage from the servo to the left steering arm.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7620
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:49 am

Nice job Lieven! The fuel tank looks like it could be a Sullivan #435 1oz./29.5cc slant-type.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Dsc03010

You can obtain a stopper kit #S482 which is for glow-fuel.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 S482-s10

This might be nice too.. #S469

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 S469_m10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:11 pm

Save the old clunk! It looks like the tapered bullet/cone shaped clunk. You might want to reuse it as it will drain the tank a little more effectively.

All the same clunks can be cleaned and reused with no worries.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:14 pm

That's the tank. I'll buy a complete new one. They are sold by Scientific France. I'll save the tapered clunk.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Empty They are also sold by a Chinese company

Post  happydad Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:26 pm

OVERLORD wrote:That's the tank. I'll buy a complete new one. They are sold by Scientific France. I'll save the tapered clunk.

The small tanks are also sold by a Chinese company, i will repost later from my PC, and include everything including the clunk. They were taking offers and i picked up a couple for less than $4.00 each shipped to U. S. 60cc and 360cc tanks.

edited 1-3-2016 2:23p.m. PST - to add link to tank.

sorry can't seem to post a pic of the tank

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 90ccta10
generic picture for tank

link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111641213018?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

P.s. The linear servo could never stand up to the stress of a crash without a servo saver of some sort. It may be hard to implement with the linear type servo.

Happydad RC Plane Futaba Radio Jeep

Last edited by happydad on Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : to add link to tank)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:51 pm

Thanks for the link!!
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:43 am

With the body on

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7621

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 Imgp7622
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:22 am

Hoot Hoot man that's NICE ! she is going to bee Sharpe when done , I like that body style lots of curves . Are you waiting on parts now ? what radio are you going to use ? getback Smoking
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks Eric, In the first place, I'm wating for some descent weather. Yes, I need to buy a ne tank but I fitted another temporary tank for the first trials. My radio? I bought one this year, not a super expensive one: a T2M Pilot 6G , 6 channel 2,4 Ghz.

Jerobee Corvette - Page 2 T2m_ra10

I just had a good look. It says "T2M Racing Products"!!! You can imagine how fast that car will go with that radio lol!
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next