Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Cox_ba12

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 6:59 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 6:57 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Empty
Live on Patrol

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report.

Go down

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Empty Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report.

Post  OVERLORD Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:48 pm

After the first flights on 17 september, I flew the plane again yesterday (2 flights) and today (8 flights).

On 17 september we had a very light south - southwest wind. Most of the time, the plane landed near to the spot it started. Some flights are in the video I posted in the other thread. 2 times, it landed in the potato field; a bit further away

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Imgp3711

Below is a satelite image indicating these 2 landings (marked L).

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Flight10

On 19 September, the wind came from the opposite direction and was slightly stronger than the day before. On both occasions, the plane landed in the cow field. Then I understood that free flight is very physical. To collect the plane, I had to walk back to the street and climb over the steel gate to the field. Once you swing your legs over the gate you have to consider a jump back to earth as an electric wire is running behind the gate. After finding the plane, I had to go all the way back. And this X2. After the first flight, I moved my launching point more into the wind without better results though.

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Flight11

Today, 20 September, the weather was sunny with clouds and a very light wind as on the 17th. I made about 8 flights. Most of the time, the plane landed nearby but on 2 occasions it flew north and landed in the bushes behind the undertaker's garden and even further away towards the village.

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Flight12

I tried to make pictures but only 1 was kept. The other pictures were mainly clouds and blue sky without plane.

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Dscn2010

Here's today's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97d3FIvXhTk&feature=youtu.be

The landing gear needs serious repairs now as it acts like a shock absorber at each landing. The music wire is loose and there is play (mostly sideways)on the nose wheel. This influences the way the plane turns when it's climbing. I had flights where it turned too much and the plane doesn't even take off. It flies in a circle at a meter above the ground and comes back to you!! Affraid or WOW! It is scary. Until now I had no damages to the plane itself.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Empty Re: Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report.

Post  getback Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:23 pm

Good Fun !! Man your getting in some flying time now , look like a lot of good times with the FF and your getting some exercise to boot lol! Have you fixed the wheel yet?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Empty Re: Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report.

Post  OVERLORD Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:43 am

Hi Eric, It was fun indeed. the nose wheel isn't repaired yet. I have to find a more sturdy construction. I'll browse Outerzone a bit but I'm open to any good idea's!

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ARUP Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:35 pm

The wheel is to protect propeller against breakage? If so then just make a wire loop from firewall to a point on fuselage and eliminate the wheel. Balance accordingly of course.
ARUP
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:25 am

Yes and no. I made the nose Wheel far forward to get the CG right. The more forward you can get, less weight is needed. And at the same time, it protects the nose. I'm going to fix the nose Wheel right below the engine mount. The wire will be a lot shorter and better fixed. I will also ad a 15g weight to balance. The first landing gear jhad a weight of 26g. The weight I have to add now will be 33g to keep the CG in the same place.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:07 am

Geez.. that looked like FUN Lieven! Somehow I missed reading the other thread. Did you relocate the fuel pick-up closer to the bottom of the tank.. possibly a 7 o'clock position as opposed to 9 o'clock for the slow sweeping left turn? I'm guessing yes.. because it would allow short-tanking for a shorter engine run. Terrific to have an accessible open area like that, so close to your house!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:57 am

Hi Roddie, the fuel pick up tube is straight down, so I can be sure that there's almost nothing left when the engine stops. The field is nice. But rare are periods without any wind. Have a look at the other thread as well. It's got more pics and a video.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Empty Yesterday's flights

Post  OVERLORD Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:01 am

Yesterday, I did 2 flights with the modified landing gear. I made a shorter nose wheel and fixed an extra lead weight. I first tried with 15g attached transversally to the underside of the engine mount. The plane started off too much at a left angle and went straight away into the ground. Then I fixed the weight to the right side of the engine mount  with a coin taped th the right "wing" in way of the CG and then it took off. When the engine stopped, gliding wasn't too good. The plane stalled a few times before landing. I replaced the weight for a 20g lead and this was far better. The plane climbed nicely and had a perfect landing. There was a westerly wind stronger than the previous days and the plane didn't glide down in circles. I had to cross another field before I got to the plane.

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Imgp6210

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Flight14

Last edited by OVERLORD on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : replace picture)
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Empty Extend the firewall?

Post  VUgearhead Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:42 am

Lieven,

Have you considered extending your firewall forward enough to be able to eliminate the added weight up front? I'm not sure how the weight of the Pee Wee .020 compares to the 20g you had to add, but it might not take much extension to get it to balance. Maybe just slapping another 1/4" ply in front of the existing firewall might work.

Dan
VUgearhead
VUgearhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi Dan, Thanks for the tip. A Pee Wee weights only 22g, a little more with the prop on. My first landing gear weighted 26g and had to stick quite a bit forward to balance. I don't know if the Pee Wee would correct all this moving it forward as you said, even with the nose wheel. But then again, I didn't try!

I made some flights today and the Pee Wee can handle the extra weight, but the engine starts to run erratically. I think it needs a clean. I replaced already the silicon tube around the needle but that didn't help much.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:37 pm

Sometimes when engine speeds up and down it's caused by a little dirt in needle. You might try to open and close needle with a large turn of wrist (appx. 3/4-1 turn) while engine is running, the fuel will sometimes wash it thru. I learned that at the EEA in Oshkosh years ago, where we were using Black Widows with many, many flights and crashes on them and no time for a tear down. You could also remove needle and clean, if not then check airtube/backplate gasket.

A quick fix for the CG would be a Babe Bee.

I like your project, nothing like the thrill of a free flight!

Good luck!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:31 am

Mark, The Babe Bee probably makes up for the weight, but the torque is another factor. The span of the plane is not so big, only 400mm and the engine's torque makes it roll easily. That's why I had to fix the weight on the right side. I don't know what torque a 049 produces but it wont be less than a Pee Wee. I'm thinking of fixing a coin again on the right part of the wing. Maybe not on the edge but next to the tail.

This is how I found the back plate when I took it off. The wire mesh was well filled with goo.

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Imgp6211

Flying Sorcerer, 3 days' flight report. Imgp6212
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:43 am

You got it off may as well go ahead and tear down and do a cleaning Babe Bee .049 I would get a thrill out of FF reminds me of my RC planes that flew off never to be seen again lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down