Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit Cox_ba12

1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit Empty
Live on Patrol

1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit

Go down

1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit Empty 1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:34 pm

Damn, we had a good weekend. It took Dave 6 hours to get to my house. Blame I-20 in Atlanta. But he finally rolled in while Holley and I were relaxin' under the Maple tree on a damp Friday afternoon. A stalled Low off the coast was sending rain to us, and I'd been refreashing weather.com 10 times a day for 4 days. We'd just play it by ear... and mostly hope.

It turned out great despite the sometimes-sideways drizzle. We fueled ourselves up with a fixed-up frozen pizza, and then, until midnight in the shop, we preflighted planes, made bladders and Dave dissected one of my TD.09s that had a funny bump in its rotation. Let me tell you about Dave. He's pure Georgia. I like that, I went to college in Ga. and I enjoyed how the natives rolled. Still do. But don't let that laid back demeanor mislead you. This boy is smart. He knows and fully understands a lot of solid stuff about myriad topics. I wish my Son, Al could meet him, they'd have fun talking about science and engineering stuff. We covered a lot of interesting things, needless to say with a modeling bias. And he used to be a copier tech! We could tell funny stories about copiers, and cool places we'd gotten to go into to work on them, Lol. That's so funny. And we watched NASA TV, one of my go-to channels. Holley had fun talking to him too. He's mostly formerly an RC guy from way back. Flying all sorts of planes from Pylon Racing to giant scale planes. He even built a plane he flies himself around in. I looked at some pictures, they reminded me of Kim's BOT pics, except higher.

We had a decent turnout in Huntersville, considering the weather. Flew some planes. A couple of people flew big stunters, but the rest of us put our various 1/2As up. If the weather had been better, I'm sure a lot more would have flown. But that's what we came for, so we sure weren't going to sit it out for a little rain. I brought both Baby Flite Streaks, the Kitty Cat, the Lil Bats, and the L'il Satan. Dave brought his Medallion .15 powered Buster, a fast flying Wildcat with a TD .051 and a couple of big planes including his electric Super Clown. He flew his screaming fast Wildcat over the pavement. And he won a trophy! A Pilots' choice "Best Appearance." It has to fly to qualify.
The usual half of an "A" emblem
1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit 09261510

There will be plenty more pics when I get them from Will Davis, the MCLS Prez. We usually get a color inside cover group photo in Control Line World, so watch for it in the next issue.

We learned a few things about flying in the rain, neither of us had done it before. Of course everything gets slicker'n owl scat, that much I already knew. First I flew my .061 powered Baby Streak. I wanted to put on an exhibition for the crowd, because this is one of the most exciting show-off planes I have, a real crowd pleaser. And I wanted a trophy too. I had a pretty large captive audience, all standing, watching from under the picnic shed. But the Big Mig ran like crap and wouldn't needle reliably. I flew one loop and then lugged around, running to catch it every time I passed upwind until it finally quit with 2/3ds of it's fuel in the bladder. We fired it up again and it was better for a while, and I did some weak whifferdills until it sputtered out. I wondered if it was running too cold because of being wet, or if water was fouling the combustion, but just guessing. Later, when we got home it turned out to have a dead glow plug. Maybe steam in the combustion chamber caused over compression and blew the glow element. With a new plug it ran fine and steady. Wiggling the needle didn't expose any leak in the venturi gasket. We'll see. I kept thinking of my other one that had a crank seizing.... whatever.

I lit up the Tee Dee on the Li'l Satan and it wasn't afraid of no rain It ran at a solid peak on 35% Glowplugboy, and I still had my audience. Only after launching it was hunting like crazy, bouncing all over the sky. Wth! I finally got it tamed, though it was s struggle... but not so much that it stopped me from slinging it around, The exhibition was on! Inverted, upright, reverse wingovers, diving into outside loops and 8s of all kinds. I got my Trophy too. I think most of these folks only fly occasionally. and some put more effort scale appearance, which is very worthy of their deserving awards. As for the control issue, it was clearly the fishing line I was using to fly the Satan. The lines tried to stick to each other like glue. Unlike any other castor-coated equipment. For that reason I left the other Streak, my R,W, and B Tee Dee baby under the shelter. I'm not about to risk wrecking it because of sticky lines. Dave's steel lines were no trouble at all.

Well we limped into the house back in Columbia to find Holley had cooked a spicy spaghetti dinner and a pot of white chicken chili, and we laid into it. Dave had two piles of spaghetti and two bowls of chili.

As if we hadn't had enough, we loaded up big Red with 1/2As and drove to the Fort for another 3 hours of flying. Still a blowing mist, just like yesterday. The Streak ran a little better than it had Saturday, but still quit with fuel in it. We re-needled and finished the flight with better results, but not the usual Norvel authority. It ran out of gas up high and directly downwind. It was a complete surprise when it turned and came straight into the circle and landed almost at my feet. And i could still feel the wind at my back while it came toward me. That was weird. Obviously a layer of wind 25' high moving exactly opposite the direction of the wind on the ground. Jeez, could the weather get any stranger!
And the Wildcat blew a plug between flights in the mist today. Is it the rain? That steam theory is my best guess.

https://youtu.be/MP2mQj-wIvo

Home again and my beautiful bride had cooked a pot of red chili and hotdogs. And that is a small nutshell of what went on with me and the Bandito this weekend.
Addios

1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit _049_d10

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit Empty Re: 1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit

Post  larrys4227 Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:03 am

Looks like youse guys had a blast! Thanks for sharing!!
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit Empty Re: 1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit

Post  fredvon4 Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:06 am

Rusty looks and sounds like you and Dave (bandit) had a great visit...

Dang Rusty I think you lead in having met the most other CEF family. I think Duke has also met quite a few of us

Two years ago I was going to drop down your way on our return trip to Texas from WVA (family reunion)...but recovering from the MC accident had my wife preferring the short rout back home in out RV.

I am very familiar with your area having spent a bunch of trips to Columbia and Ft Jackson

Some day....

I would hope that if you ever decided to go to one of the Tucson Az contests you would swing by our place on the way out or back as I am not too far out of the way

And to any who are reading this, I openly invite any CEF family to stop by if near Central Texas, we have plenty of room on the micro ranch to host.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:19 am

Glad ya'll had a good time. I couldn't make this one, so I took advantage of the inclimate weather and got a great start on an old Jetco Shark 15 kit I had laying around- wing is ready to cover now. I tried to get a couple days off work for the Carolina Criterium, but my requests were denied... others had claimed those days first. Still may try to make it there for one day for the vintage Combat. Thant's my thing Flying
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:32 am

WOO HOOOO !!! I had forgot Ya'll were getting together sounds like a great time of FUN , shame the weather couldn't have been better but that's the way it go's sometime mother nature is just got to Goo . Been the same here last 4 days off /on rain // and to come home to a fresh hot cooked meal what more could ya ask for ! ( Trophy's to Boot ) Great Job of having fun with mutual friendship from the CEF , Thanks Rusty for taking time to give us a report looking forward to more . Eric sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sig Skyray Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks for the story and photos! Love the CEF camaraderie. Looks like a good time!

Greg
Sig Skyray
Sig Skyray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit Empty about that bump.....

Post  VUgearhead Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:23 am

Rusty,

What did Dave find out about that bump in your TD? I ask because I have one in one of my medallion .049's.

Dan
VUgearhead
VUgearhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks guys for the replies. This morning I saw that I had a text from him saying he'd made it home safely. I doubt if I wore him out, but I sure slept hard last night. It was an action packed weekend.
See y'all later, gotta go get some more rest, Lol.
Rusty

EDIT: Dan, it looks like the piston rod had been hammered into the underside of the crown, maybe by some debris, or an aggressive reset. It was slightly domed, causing the skirt to contact the top of the backplate. He relieved a flat on top of the backplate for clearance, but it still gets tight sooner than a normal pinch. I probably should get a new piston. However I have another TD .09 in nice condition. One of these days I'll build a plane for it. A twin would be pretty cool. And what a racket it would make. No noise limitation at the fort though.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:50 pm

RknRusty wrote:Thanks guys for the replies. This morning I saw that I had a text from him saying he'd made it home safely. I doubt if I wore him out, but I sure slept hard last night. It was an action packed weekend.
See y'all later, gotta go get some more rest, Lol.
Rusty

EDIT: Dan, it looks like the piston rod had been hammered into the underside of the crown, maybe by some debris, or an aggressive reset. It was slightly domed, causing the skirt to contact the top of the backplate. He relieved a flat on top of the backplate for clearance, but it still gets tight sooner than a normal pinch. I probably should get a new piston. However I have another TD .09 in nice condition. One of these days I'll build a plane for it. A twin would be pretty cool. And what a racket it would make. No noise limitation at the fort though.
Yup I made it home ok, rained pretty good but traffic was not bad. Got held up at my dads who was looking after my dog. My dog go into an habanaro pepper so i had to let him recover before I could load him up and head home. lol

Indeed we had a great time, even though it was wet, the TD's didn't seem to care much and we both got great runs out of them, Rusty out of his TD .049 in his satan and myself from my TD .051 in my overly wild Wildcat even though we both nuked a head.

As far as the TD .09 goes as rusty said, I think it is a victim of someone getting overly happy with a reset. the rod while loose, had no play at all, he probably gave it a good whack with a heavy hammer. This deformed the top of the piston putting a rivet sized dome on the crown deforming the top of the piston and bulging the sides this also dropped the skirt down causing interference with the backplate. Another possibility is a manufacturing defect but I'm still leaning more towards Mr happy with the hammer. Other than that, the engine is pristine and well cared for. his other one is in great shape as well. hope to see it burn some nitro soon! Smile

I'm going to post a review as well soon probably tomorrow so look for it then! take care folks
(Dave AKA the Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Here are some more pictures that have trickled in this week. They had to fly to win an award.

The Carolina Gang, Rain or Shine!... Eric, you need to drive over next year and fly some planes with us.
1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit DSC05433_zpsmhgezzxi

The award winners
1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit DSC05442_zpsqmagzkwt

Jo Shumaker with her "Best Scale" bipe
1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit DSC05440_zpszlbxdysr

Bandit with his "Best Appearance" Wildcat
1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit DSC05438_zpsvvau8tjd

Rusty and his trusty "Best Flight" Li'l Satan
1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit DSC05437_zps7apdlfwz

John with his "Best Technical Achievement" warbird
1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit DSC05436_zpsasm1tekh

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:43 am

Fine Looking Bunch of 1/2A'ers and planes too! Rusty I would Love to and if I can make it happen I will ! I have to get another vehicle But today is tires day for the 1988 Toyota Truck 348.00 Uniroyal's . Tires have gone UP since the last time I had to buy they DAMMIT! I guess if I get the 65,000 miles they think I will its all good , and if the engine holds up 250.000 miles now Huh... .... If I keep building my fleet the way its going I'll have to get a SUV lol! Thanks Rusty , Eric sunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Must have been a magnificent event and team that I envy not to have participated in!!!

The lonesome East-European COX R/C freak Balogh..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Glad ya'll had fun Rusty and Bandit
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:03 pm

balogh wrote:Must have been a magnificent event and team that I envy not to have participated in!!!

The lonesome East-European COX R/C freak Balogh..
Lol, yeah, but you're our lonesome freak. Maybe we'll get together one of these days. If you want to be on our club newsletter mailing list, PM me your e-mail address that you want it sent to. I just took it over last month.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:14 pm

akjgardner wrote:Glad ya'll had fun Rusty and Bandit
Gardner, I like it when you reply,
1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit 1637-210
just so I can see your mug lol!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:34 am

UNFORTUNATELY, I really do look like that.....DOH..............ha ha .
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:09 am

akjgardner wrote:UNFORTUNATELY, I really do look like that.....DOH..............ha ha .
It looks good right above my "Don't Panic" signature. I bet that's what you look like when a plane turns into the circle straight at you.lol!
1/2A Day(s) with new pictures, Rusty and the Bandit 1637-210

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:41 pm

No, That's what my wife looks like when she sees I bought a chunk of 70s plastic for $100+.....she just doesn't understand. Sad
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:28 pm

Rusty are you going to Huntersville this weekend to play with ken and Shawn and a lot of other notables?
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down