Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga. Cox_ba12

Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga. Empty
Live on Patrol

Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga.

Go down

Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga. Empty Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga.

Post  TDbandit Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi all Finally, I was able to get a few flights in on my brand new Ringmaster S1 to add to the totals.

Today was cloudy and cool but otherwise was a nice day, I got out to the field around 3pm and with help from one of our club members "Paul Sanders" who is also fixing to finish up a ringmaster and start flying c/l again I was able to log in some flights!

official flight total was 4 averaging about 5 min each first one being it's maiden.

Unforchantly while i got as bunch of pics due to my memory card taking a dump in my camera I only got two usable pics BUT I was able to get some video which i will post as soon as I'm able to get somewhere with descent net to upload it. Anyway here are those two pics. not the best but it's all that came out. This pic was from Saturday which turned out to be a no go as far as any flights due to the wind picking up to 25mph.
Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga. Ringma11

This is just before it's maiden! Prop is a 9x7 MA three blade and it flew pretty good with it, ran smoother too.
Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga. Ringma12

video to follow soon!

Unofficial flights were;

Buster: 1
The Screaming fast Wildcat: 1
e-clown: 1

(Bandit)

TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga. Empty Re: Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga.

Post  getback Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:47 am

Good Fun !! Bandit was Sunday the last day to get flight time in ? That's a Nice looking S1 Ringmaster , I was wondering do you have to be a member of the Brothers of the Ring to enter your flights ? Glad it flew without a flaw . Eric Popcorn
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga. Empty Re: Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga.

Post  TDbandit Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:55 am

getback wrote:Good Fun !! Bandit was Sunday the last day to get flight time in ? That's a Nice looking S1 Ringmaster , I was wondering do you have to be a member of the Brothers of the Ring to enter your flights ? Glad it flew without a flaw . Eric Popcorn

Yup it flew good only biggie that I've got to rectify is I've got to calm the controls down a little bit since it's quite sensitive right now. Sunday was the last day to get in flights for the Rain/Wind delay extension. The main part of the fly-A-Thon ended last weekend (3-4 Oct) but it was extended due to the crazy weather going around. As far as membership in BOTR, no membership is required, all you need it a ringmaster of any type and you can join in. Smile (Bandit) Flying Leaves
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:27 pm

Good going, Bandit. I didn't get to fly, but here's some of the Carolina Gang at Watt's field flying while it was raining fish in Columbia.

Looks like Watt built most of those, according to the numbers, AMA 10040
That's Jeanna, Will, Watt and Wayne
Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga. DSC05455_zpshku7wxx5
Fly-A-Thon report from Fort Valley Ga. DSC05450_zps5j0xz5xm

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:52 am

Great Photos and Notes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My computer/dial-up finally loaded them!!

Hope more post their flights here...I have a heck of a time getting around the Brotherhood of the Ring site, though am still plugging away at it!

Good to see so many folks having a great time with this event !!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:42 am

Slightly off topic

Kim...I am out in the sticks and my ISP is usually just so so and sometime pretty good, but occasionally it sucks for loading any intensive page...

I do have a good smart Phone; Samsung G5 and our Verizon signal out here is usually 4G LTE and three or four bars

I don't use the phone for much data intensive stuff so the 4 Gig they give me ( ha it ain't free) is mostly unused

On days when the ISP sucks I just turn the WiFi hot spot on in the phone, and connect my laptop to it and threat my self to really fast page and photo loading
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:16 pm

Bandit , You think if you adjusted your forward weight (cg) it would calm it down a bit . Is it acting squirrelly? ,,, Rusty could help you there or Ken. Eric Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:47 pm

getback wrote:Bandit , You think if you adjusted your forward weight (cg) it would calm it down a bit . Is it acting squirrelly?  ,,, Rusty could help you there or Ken. Eric Airplane
I don't think it's CG related it flies straight ahead on engine cutout and has no hint of a hunt under power I thinks it's just a bit too much travel on the elevator I pulled a loop and it went quick and real tight in fact the fox tried to burp near the top which i think was cause by the sudden movement. I've installed a perfect needle in it which has a single hole instead of the two holes found in the stock fox one so it could be that too (need to verify the hole location in the spray bar) i've already did an adjustment just got to fly er again to test er out however I'm always open to opinions and advice. thanks man Smile
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:11 am

What kind and size bellcrank is in the plane? What hole is the pushrod in on the bellcrank. Is it the furthest hole away from centerline or the closest? What kind of control horn is on the plane. This would be the easiest to remedy and installing a large control horn would help. What is the line spacing of your flying handle? When the elevator is flipped to far on a Ring it acts like a brake and the plane just falls out of the sky. It acts more like a brake. If you can get deflection under 30 deg of travel it will fair much better. I also see you mentioned the 3 blade 9x7. A 3 blade prop equates to a 2 blade that's 1" larger. Therefore, your using a 10x7 prop. That's far too much prop for a Fox .35 and if the engine was sounding like it was burping at the top it could've been overloading. You mentioned it ran smoother. The Fox likes a load, not an overload. If it was vibrating prior to the prop you had on it which I don't recall you mentioning, it was more than likely vibrating. The 3 blade is loading it and giving you the impression that it is running smoother with no doubt probably is. Unfortunately, the bottom end of the rod on a Fox is not designed for that kind of load. It's a unbushed rod with very little meat under it to support it. If the engine is new, this will quickly taxi the rod in addition. Your not running a muffler so that would certainly be beneficial to running a larger prop which could certainly be the reason it did work. You didn't mention how you flew it. Flying level and a occasional wingover doesn't taxi the engine like continuous maneuvers.

At this stage without opening the wing to make changes if needed, the solution is to use a larger control horn. If your pushrod is not already there, I would place it in the furthest hole away from hinge centerline which is the bottom hole. Flying with a 4" handle spacing or less would also tame down the controls. It doesn't take much when shrinking down your handle spacing due to it being a mechanical disadvantage to your bellcrank therefore limiting the control throw. Just some advice, if you can get a APC 10x5 it might be worth a try. I personally don't use 10" props on these size planes but many do and generally those that are just getting their feet wet once again. A APC 10x5 has a fair amount of blade area and weight over the other props available. This can really smooth things out and still keep the Fox in it's happy workable rpm zone.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:08 am

Well finally I've got the maiden video of my ringmaster force fed to Youtube so this is in addition to my first post hope you enjoy!
The fox was being a little biter that time around btw. Didn't do much just some climb and dives to get used to it, did a mild wing over too. sorry about the camera being a bit too close didn't get all the action *Shrugs* (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:43 am

Clapping And that's why it's called the Ringmaster!!  Looking good, sounding good two! Nice video of a nice flight. Glad you were able to add some to the fly a thon total.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down