Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2018
Kim's

"War Dog hauls the 2M B.O.T. out of Uncle Wayne's backyard"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

A new treatment for a product engine

Go down

A new treatment for a product engine

Post  batjac on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Hmmm... I never thought about doing this with a Goldberg mount, but it's an interesting thought.  I wonder if I can think up a reason or application to need to do this myself.

From this eBay auction:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/COX-HP-0-049-with-CARL-GOLDBERG-MODELS-1-2-A-MOTOR-MOUNT-/111823683233?hash=item1a0935fea1:g:tlUAAOSwNgxWEaYr

The Bemused Mark

Actually, now that I think about it, I DO have a red backplate that I cut the mounting surfaces off of for the first Reed Speed challenge, so I have a backplate that's half way there for this.   Huh...   Project #3,947 added to the queue.

The Backed Up Mark
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A new treatment for a product engine

Post  coxaddict on Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:11 pm

Maybe it would shed some weight compared to a horseshoe back plate. looks really cool! I have a couple of those mounts I wouldn't mind using with a modified back plate.
'addict
coxaddict
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:10 pm

I wonder if this might affect the needle, from a vibration standpoint? The venturi-tube is now floating like a tuning-fork inside a separate mount.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty on Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:43 pm

roddie wrote:I wonder if this might affect the needle, from a vibration standpoint? The venturi-tube is now floating like a tuning-fork inside a separate mount.
Agreed, you definitely need a short needle for that. I used KB needles with the Nyrod extension on the engines in my Lil Bats, and after two runs, neither needle had useful threads left on them.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:57 am

Rusty I see the air inlet tube on the Surestart backplate is cracked at the spraybar. I noted that on most of my Surestart bacplates and think is a chronic failure of this aftermarket part. I see you may have tried to mend it with glue? If yes, any idea which glue would adhere to this plastic material, because CA (that I tend to believe is only good for glueing degreased thumb and forefingers) will not...
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty on Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:25 am

balogh wrote:Rusty I see the air inlet tube on the Surestart backplate is cracked at the spraybar. I noted that on most of my Surestart bacplates and think is a chronic failure of this aftermarket part. I see you may have tried to mend it with glue? If yes, any idea which glue would adhere to this plastic material, because CA (that I tend to believe is only good for glueing degreased thumb and forefingers) will not...
Hi Andras, that is Mark's engine, but I see the crack too. Not much will stick to that plastic. Even my replacement spraybars in brand new clean backplates won't stay put with JB Weld. Maybe sleeve it with a metal collar and some JB and hope. Or retain the collar by flaring the edge behind it with a soldering iron.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:40 am

Ooooopss..sorry Rusty for mis-addressing, but thanks for the advice. As long as the spraybar and the screen in the intake tube remain fixed this is more or less just a cosmetics problem...the choke tube if used, covers it anyways.
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:40 am

That's pretty cool I have one in soak now (red horse shoe)That is broken at the mount and I think I still have some of those engine mounts . I have also seen some of the gray ones break at that same place ? if I was to fix one I would take a soldering iron and melt it in a bead like plastic welding or a pencil torch may would do the trick Small Cox Logo getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down