Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2017
Kim's

"Cox Conquest gets a Run-Up."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

1949 Lawrence Institute of Technology G-1

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 1949 Lawrence Institute of Technology G-1

Post  ARUP on Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:51 pm

stuntflyer, the G-1 has straight rudders, tip weight and 'out' thrust. Being a pusher design the prop thrust washer end points into the circle. I use my standard formula of ~25% c.g. of MAC then bell crank pivot 1/4" behind that. The fore lead out rakes back to coincide with c.g at guide. The rear lead out run is normal to fuse. This gives me a decent float to land when the engine quits and I break less props with this set up. I used to put c.g. a little more forward but these little bombs end up being a rock on a string when the engine quit if you know what I mean! Laughing  Thanks for the prop info. I'll have to see what I can obtain. I have a 3 blade prop in there because I was afraid a cut down two blade won't have enough umph. I don't know a whole lot about making a Cox engine speedy so I'll try your ideas out on it! Thanks! Oh yeah... those pusher airplanes are pretty neat! A 'Pushy Cat' would be cool!
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:39 am

I learned about Cox reedies through some write ups from a few people in the 90's, found that rpm is the key and they get there through short props because they only breath so well. Opening the intake after installing a Tee Dee piston and cylinder, I think 061" or a #61 drill can't remember which, leveling the piston with the deck of the cumbustion chamber by adjusting the cylinder up and down on the block, and using a HC head with a lot of gaskets to start and then adjusting for fuel (a lot of nitro=a lot of gaskets), and props. Once I was pitting for my eldest when he was about 9 so about 1990 in Mouse I, his prop kept getting shorter and the model kept going faster with the wide blade of the Cox props. APC's are probably better but I have limited exprience with them. Only in sport flying like Scale models.
Jimmy Miller's pushers are tops. Loved that guy, a real gentleman. Bohannon's copy was almost as good. Jimmy's was really light, low 500's and he was very slight himself. I was there when he won the Gold Final with it and I know it meant a lot to him. That one would be the best flyer for a model with that delta wing and an easy one to start.
Chris...
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:42 am

Oh, our Mouse I engines weren't super fast but reliable and started out with NIB Golden Bees with NIB Tee Dee cylinders/piston sets. It was a SoCal guy that wrote the article I used, Paul G. may know whom I'm speaking of.
Chris...
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top