Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Drone registration Cox_ba12

Drone registration Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Drone registration Empty
Live on Patrol

Drone registration

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

READ! Drone registration

Post  crankbndr Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:41 pm

Looks like it a done deal, all modelers will have to register if over 1/2 pound. Thats pretty small. Looks like the AMA decented and was shot down.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/faa-require-drones-registered-marked-35756149
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

READ! Re: Drone registration

Post  Jason_WI Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:50 pm

And it includes control line planes too.

My planes are going to heat my dads house next weekend. I'm done with flying forever. Back into RC cars I guess.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:15 pm

Jason_WI wrote:And it includes control line planes too.

My planes are going to heat my dads house next weekend. I'm done with flying forever. Back into RC cars I guess.

ShockedAffraid or WOW!Affraid or WOW!Affraid or WOW! I can't bear the thought!!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Awww .... ya don't wanna do that.  The $5 is refundable, if registration is done within the first 30 days.  It's pretty painless ..... and besides, there is the possibility in the near future that your AMA registration will include your FAA.

I certainly have my negative opinion about all this ... but thats for another time.

I'll sign up and be done with it and go fly in a circle 65' high ..... Smile

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:41 pm

larrys4227 wrote:

Awww .... ya don't wanna do that.  The $5 is refundable, if registration is done within the first 30 days.  It's pretty painless ..... and besides, there is the possibility in the near future that your AMA registration will include your FAA.

I certainly have my negative opinion about all this ... but thats for another time.

I'll sign up and be done with it and go fly in a circle 65' high ..... Smile

https://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/

Agreed, and it's what I'll do in order to continue, but this is bad.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:55 pm

roddie wrote:

ShockedAffraid or WOW!Affraid or WOW!Affraid or WOW! I can't bear the thought!!!

Boiler is 4' deep and the door is 3'W x 2'H. All but the Sig kadet senior should fit in without much trouble.

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  flying poodle Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:16 pm

I will not comply
flying poodle
flying poodle
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:20 pm

So.. what are the penalties for non-conformance? How will the actual enforcement happen? What I'm saying is; "How many ponds can a game-warden monitor for fishing licenses?" I see heightened security in the vicinity of full-scale airfields and certain government properties.. but that's about it. Will there be appointed inspectors in every town? I doubt even counties would appoint an inspector. They'd be as scarce as motor-vehicle registry cops. As for tethered model aircraft... puhLLLLLLLLLLLLease.. Rolling Eyes This is an effort for our government to cash-in on the drone-craze.. IMHO
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:36 pm

They aren't smart enough to cash in on anything, every government agency on every level is run buy dumbazzesss.
Most administrators have an agenda or are dishonest or both. Overregulation is a rampant problem, and Congress fiddles.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:15 pm

roddie wrote:So.. what are the penalties for non-conformance? How will the actual enforcement happen? What I'm saying is; "How many ponds can a game-warden monitor for fishing licenses?" I see heightened security in the vicinity of full-scale airfields and certain government properties.. but that's about it. Will there be appointed inspectors in every town? I doubt even counties would appoint an inspector. They'd be as scarce as motor-vehicle registry cops. As for tethered model aircraft... puhLLLLLLLLLLLLease.. Rolling Eyes This is an effort for our government to cash-in on the drone-craze.. IMHO

Q: What is the penalty for failing to register?
A: Failure to register an aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal sanctions. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.

Found here:

http://www.faa.gov/uas/registration/faqs/

Now if you think the AMA hasn't already gave them a list of all current and past members with their last known addresses think again.

How many of you have removed your old AMA number when selling an airframe at a swap meet? If you haven't and your old number is on it yet and that new owner doesn't register it and does something stupid with it guess where the Feds are showing up at?

Burning old airframes with AMA numbers on them is the only way to eliminate liability.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:45 pm

I live right next to the District FAA headquarters. If I fly in the field across from my house, I bet the odds are good that an FAA employee will see me flying. And some of the local FAA people are real jerkwads. I guess I'll have to make sure all my planes stay under 8.8 ounces. Not too hard for scratch built .049 and down planes.

One thing for sure, the price of PeeWees and .010's are going to go up even more on eBay...

The Tired of All The B.S. Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:46 pm

Every one is assuming 'tethered' indicates CL models .....

Stay tuned ....

Garf over on SH received a response back from "Ben" at AMA ..... his direct answer as to whether CL models were affected by the FAA regs ..... "No, they don't use a transmitter for control"

Stay tuned .,,,
larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:10 pm

This sounds more like a power grab to me more than anything.
Anyway I stumbled on a couple of posts on the AMA blog that has some info about CL being included, ope this helps somewhat;
(Bandit)

Thomas W. Smiley December 14, 2015 at 19:14

I’ve been reading many conflicting “opinions” on the various blog sites. Specifically, is a control line airplane a “tethered UAS” or not? Also, the FAA seems to have completely discarded the possible “400′ altitude” rule. Is this true? AMA, please provide a reply specifically worded to the Control Line community in regards to the “FAA Rules” relating to registration, which at present seems to also apply to tethered aircraft that cannot fly above 80′.

Thomas W. Smiley
AMA 26652
NACA President (North Alabama Controlline Association)
Charter #4369
Huntsville, AL 35803

Report This Comment

Chad Budreau December 14, 2015 at 19:15

Originally CL was exempt from this process. We are now understanding that may no longer be the case. We are reviewing the details now and will be seeking clarification with the FAA and DOT.

Report This Comment
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  VUgearhead Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:23 pm

Like those people who are going to break the 'no fly' zones and rules are going to register their craft.

This is the same assinine concept behind gun registration. It's not the law-abiding gun/craft owner who are out there breaking the laws, but you can damn sure be certain that they are the ones Uncle Sam will be feeing and fining for the privilege of doing what they have always done!

Mad
VUgearhead
VUgearhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

READ! Thanks. These are exactly my thoughts

Post  happydad Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:23 am

VUgearhead wrote:Like those people who are going to break the 'no fly' zones and rules are going to register their craft.

This is the same assinine concept behind gun registration. It's not the law-abiding gun/craft owner who are out there breaking the laws, but you can damn sure be certain that they are the ones Uncle Sam will be feeing and fining for the privilege of doing what they have always done!

Mad

Thanks for your comments. Those are exactly my thoughts. I believe the AMA is blowing smoke. They are saying all ama members must register with the FAA as a person, not each airplane. The FAA, tentatively, is interested in any aircraft of any kind OVER 1/2 pound. Plane, helicopter, even blimp. This is not a law and most likely never will be. If everyone doesn't have to register guns, and I mean everyone, then how could they possibly think they could force us little ole airplane folks to register our planes or ourselves? There are so many more people with guns than with model planes, model trains, model automobiles, model helicopters, model boats and model blimps, model rockets and forever will be more guns. Besides Congress and the Senate have to approve the measure before it becomes a law, and you know those bumbling idiots can't..., well you know.
   I most likely will register: 1. because I don't care and I have nothing that big yet, and 2. If I ever do have anything over 1/2 pound I wont be stupid enough to follow fires, take videos where I don't belong, and certainly not fly near an ACTIVE airport or airport landing path. Those people at the FCC are overly idealistic and most likely will back way down when the backlash from big money corporate America wakes up and answers the bill with millions of dollars in no vote purchased with good ole... well you know what I mean.

p.s. don't forget to wear your hat and sunscreen when outside or you may have to pay your dues later in life like i had to.You don't need sun to get a "sunburn".

And that is way more than my 2c, Two Cents  but here it is anyway. Just be patient my friends.

edited 12-14-2015 11:30 p.m. PST to add content -

From FAA website:

FAA Home ▸ Unmanned Aircraft Systems

What Can You Do With Your Unmanned Aircraft?

Use this chart to determine whether you need FAA permission to operate your unmanned aircraft.

Who are you?    CHOOSE GROUP 1, 2 OR 3   I CHOSE GROUP 2

Public/​Government Entity
Local / State Government
Local Law Enforcement
First Responder                      Group 1
Public University
Civil/​Non-​Government Entity

Individual / Hobbyist
Company / Business / Non-Profit      Group 2
Private University

Entrepreneur flying for business pursuit
UAS Manufacturer                                     Group 3

What do you want to do?         My Answer:   Fly for funFly for commercial profit or for your business

Their answer: Follow safety guidelines and have fun!

Again I say, these rules are and the FAA will make them for the professionals, for profit people.

happydad  RC Plane I Love This Forum! This Site Rocks! RC Plane      Futaba Radio Biplane Jeep Flying a Plane United States Australia Finland Canada Colombia Hungary Northern Ireland United Kingdom United States

Last edited by happydad on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:47 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : FAA not FCC and read this from FAA website)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:24 am

While potentially the whole thing sucks, I don't see why the thought of $5 every three years is a big issue. I spill more than that amount of fuel when bench testing my engines. As for privacy, they know most everything there is to know about you anyway. Fork out your 5 bucks, (or better still, get in early & don't pay) and go out and enjoy your hobby.
I know, that's easy for me to say, where these regulations don't apply, but like most things, Australia will almost certainly follow America's lead in law making, like usual.

Don't panic. I'm sure there's plenty of people doing their best to get to the bottom of how this applies to all you folks.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:43 am

Oldenginerod wrote:While potentially the whole thing sucks, I don't see why the thought of $5 every three years is a big issue.

Don't panic.  I'm sure there's plenty of people doing their best to get to the bottom of how this applies to all you folks.

Rod.

Rod- Oh-yeah,  there are plenty of people ( sub human lobbyists and lawyers) trying to get to the bottom of this. The more there is to argue about ( discuss) the more money they make. They get paid by the hour, we pay in $5 fees and possibly $5 per model, this year.     15 years or more ago, I was paying $15 a month for Cable TV, now it's 10 times that PLUS Local franchise "fees"  ( I consider those kick-back fees) and goverment taxes. Same with the phone company....I'm paying $5 Federal access fee per line. (They like that $5 number)

Cold DON'T PANIC, I'm from the government, and I'm here to help! lol!

Ps: let's see if the FAA can do (web site operation) it any better than someone in the federal government did with the Health Insurance sign- up!! Anybody remember registering for a license for the CB radio's we used to use? Ha ha that was fun.

Last edited by Marleysky on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Afterthoughts)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  flying poodle Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:09 am

To me this is not about how much it costs. Nor about the ineptitude of our government at all levels. It is about the slow erosion of personal freedom.

First they came for the Lawn Darts, and I did nothing because I had no Lawn Darts.
Next they came for the Buckyballs, and I did nothing because I had no Buckyballs,
Then they came for my Little Airplanes, and the people did nothing for me.
flying poodle
flying poodle
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:19 am

If you take the time to follow the links and (a lot of time needed) read the entire rule executive brief and all the follow on rational for the process you will see that this most likely will stand up to any legal challenge

Took me about an hour to read all of it and I was happy to see one or more of my comments were cited. I am not so arrogant to presume I was the only one of 4700 commentators that made the observation and recommendation that I did

I expect the DOT/FAA may eventually see the massive load of non issue aircraft /owners registered and allow greater "exemptions: For example Control line Hobby aircraft (UAS)

There is really no practical way for CL to create a problem in the NAS; Except in the case of a contest or fun flight near an airport or spectators with a fly away. There is AMA data on these events that could be correlated to frequency of the problem.

On the other hand years ago a fly away caused a large area power outage from CL lines contacting power lines and blowing some transformers. However, in a risk avoidance exercise this is so infrequent as to not represent any significant ratio of flights vs fly away with some death or property damage

Many of us who do not actively compete might get away with ignoring this law but doing that incurs some risk.
Example; if an indecent happened ( broke loose and hit a house/car or person) causing damage where a insurance claim is necessary

I expect the AMA will immediately require BOTH AMA membership/insurance AND the FAA registration for all future contests.

The impact to me is nil and Dec 21 I will get my official number from them for free for the first 3 years

Thing I like about this..... We are all talking about it and hopefully the new folks buying RTF and ARF craft will get some meager education about safe use of the craft

Thing I don't like....Costs to all of us is several hundred millions of $$$$ this country does not have adding the the load of crap that is mostly ineffectual for the stated purpose
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:10 am

Build light. 1/2a reed engines like an all-up weight under 250 grams!

On a more serious note, the stupidity is high on the rule, but there have been a growing number of high profile incidents, and this does allow commercial use.

I almost wish I was more surprised by all this.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  VUgearhead Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:25 am

Guess any builds I do in the future will just be for decoration or ornamentation.

I also see an immense increase in the popularity of Peanut scale FF and indoor FF categories.
VUgearhead
VUgearhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:21 pm

Well, I'm disgusted by all this, but I didn't live this long and work this hard just to have these bottom-feeders take away the stuff I love to do. Got a Mud Duck waiting for an engine and a Radial Rocket that needs a radio, and they're gonna fly.

I'll send them their $5, stick "My Number" to my toy airplanes, and pray for a curse on all involved to accompany it.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Funny how many seem to object to a free 3 year registration and are considering not flying anymore and enjoying their hobby

I suspect in the future some of this may be relaxed

I also suspect in the first 6 months of 2016 we will see many stories of FAA fines for non compliance

That said--- most of us law abiding folks logging on to the FAA registration web site between Dec 21 and Jan 21 and getting a free certificate is a no big deal event....3 years later we can decide if it is worth renewing

Thankfully it is just $5 no mater how many aircraft

Now arguing about the Fed once again doing something immensely expensive and NOT LIKELY to solve the problem they seek to solve.... well I look forward to these discussions because I have not thought our government has been properly supporting and defending the CONSTITUTION for decades
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RK Flyer Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:40 pm

Fred.....Well Said.....

RK Flyer Flying

RK Flyer
RK Flyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:54 pm

L.O.L.!! No big deal!! Eyebrows No big deal!! Eyebrows If we as modelers participate en' masse', Hand Shake it'll flood their computerized sign-in system (like the National Healthcare registration), then it will become unmanageable, too costly and unprofitable as did the requirement to register for CB radios! And within 3 - 5 years the liberals of the ACLU will partner with the cut/ cut/cut REPUBLICANS calling it "big government" and "an intrusion on civil liberties", who will then call for budget cuts thus eliminate funding for the program and all the new, fancy, expensive, hi-tech computers, machinery and staff and voila'!! cheers It too will end up as a wild and weird memory of democracy at work! R.O.T.F.L.M.B.O.!! Clapping Clapping
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next