Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How's the weather? - Page 23 Cox_ba12

How's the weather? - Page 23 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How's the weather? - Page 23 Empty
Live on Patrol

How's the weather?

Page 23 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 32 ... 41  Next

Go down

How's the weather? - Page 23 Empty Re: How's the weather?

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:53 am

Kim wrote:Glad the snake encounter wasn't at a closer range Rod!

Your shoreline there looks to be an excellent slope-soaring site!

I luckily spotted the snake well before we reached it. He was warming himself in the sun, but quickly moved away once we woke him.
Speaking of slope-soaring, we did spot three paragliders just down the way, happily bobbing up and down behind the cliffs.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:35 am

Looks like the rocky coast of Maine Rod. My New Hampshire's coast (all 18 miles of it) is mostly beach sand.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:48 am

81 years ago today, Soviet Union started an offensive against Finland by shelling it’s own troops in the village of Mainila, close to the border, blaming Finland and ”retaliating” it by attacking on several fronts. The conflict lasted a little over 3 months, nowadays known as the Winter War.

These pictures are from a couple of weeks ago, but I thought they would suit this anniversary. The weather was on our side in 1939-40, this November it is not as cold but there were some pretty impressive Aurora Borealis display while our boys were practising their artillery skills.

Edit: Forgot to add the picture credits. These pictures were taken by a soldier training to become a photographer, published in a couple of news websites last week.

How's the weather? - Page 23 9cc38610

How's the weather? - Page 23 3d0d9410

That area is about 500 miles North from my house. Around here the weather is the same as before, around 32F, overcast, nothing to report Smile

Last edited by KariFS on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:43 pm

Ooh boy, Roddie! Look out for this "stuff".
How's the weather? - Page 23 Inmsir12
It just left us, and it's headed your way.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:16 am

Crossed us here in West Virginia. Spitting snow and sleet when I left the house this morning at 5:30 am. Didn't last long.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:42 am

Hi 40s day Low 27-35 * Damn it getting cold and i have NO water per bad foot valve , Since sat. Mad
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  germanbuddy Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:29 am

Late sunday afternoon , absolutly no snow in sight.

How's the weather? - Page 23 Dsci1910
germanbuddy
germanbuddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:43 am

getback wrote:Hi 40s day Low 27-35 * Damn it getting cold and i have NO water per bad foot valve , Since sat. Mad

You need to call a Podiatrist and get that foot looked after Eric. Smile Kidding aside, having NO water is no fun. Been there.

12 to 18" of snow predicted for today. Hooray, I get to burn off a couple of overloaded burn piles.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:17 am

Gray skies and holding steady at 32°F with a 14mph breeze over the hill.

My little weather station says the batteries in the sender (up on a pole) need changing...not gonna happen soon.

Looks like a good day to heat up the shop and "Hermit-Out".
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:00 pm

We have 3" of wet snow as of 4 pm expecting 9 more supposedly.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  smooth_bill Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:27 pm

We are in our usual Winter weather pattern and have been for well over a week.

Forty degrees F at night, Fifty degrees F during the day, rain and/or drizzle day and night.

Still Sheltering in my condo and having food and household goods delivered to the door.

Beats the heck out of Ice and Snow!

Bill
smooth_bill
smooth_bill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:38 am

Getting hot here.  A couple of days of mid-30s (Celsius) this week.  Cooler for the weekend forecast.  Hope it doesn't rain on Saturday night.  Heading out to "Barfold" to play Christmas carols for the good farming folk of the region, like we did last year.  Standing on the back or an open truck in the middle of a hay field.  Social distancing should be a piece of cake.  Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:32 am

About 10 inches of snow yesterday, not epic but significant when you have to shovel the stuff.

Neighbor last night plowed my driveway, something he has done for the last several years un asked. Tried to pay him but he won't accept money so I mailed him a check which he tore up. Not a short driveway either 300'.

How's the weather? - Page 23 P1010619
How's the weather? - Page 23 P1010621
How's the weather? - Page 23 P1010620
How's the weather? - Page 23 P1010623
How's the weather? - Page 23 P1010622

Big black dog had the most fun running up and down the driveway and around the yard this morning. Tracks all over. Burned off two burn piles yesterday, two more to go. Started at 10 am when there was snow on the ground, still burning at 2am. Out this morning. Stayed with the fire until it got dark and 8 inches on the ground. Fire and me burned out, slept 11 hours last night. Haven't done that since my pre-teen years.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:53 am

Yuck!.....so far we have dodged the bullet snow wise here in the northland. Had some a couple times last month but long ago melted. Gonna be the first brown Christmas I can ever remember! Dosn't break my heart!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:16 pm

Some snow fell in Northeastern Rhode Island today. It started just before midnight last.. and didn't stop until around 3:00 this afternoon.

The birds were scrambling for seed. Roddie's Bird-feed station #1 rev. 1e.. consumes roughly 2-3 lbs. of seed daily. I service it (6' step-ladder required) at least every-other day.

How's the weather? - Page 23 20201228

Check out these two..

How's the weather? - Page 23 20201229
How's the weather? - Page 23 20201230

I've been splurging on wild-bird feeding.. since we lost all 3 of our kitties this past Fall. I've been blending seed like I used to. My "base-seed" is Black-Oil Sunflower mixed with dried meal-worms but lately I've been blending some finch-mix and sunflower kernels into the mix that goes in the Cedar wooden-trough feeder to attract Cardinals. They won't go to a perch-type feeder. Cardinals are also ground-feeders. They've been scarce this Fall..

I have two finch-feeders for perching birds. One is a "tube" and the other a sock. The Goldfinches feed from these primarily.. and are here year-round.

There's room for up to 8 suet cakes! I made a cake-suet feeder (in the center) that will hold 6 cakes.. and there are 2 standard suet-cages up above on each side. If I'm unable to service the feed-station for a few days.. there's generally some suet remaining.

The Chickadee is a native/year-round wild bird.. and has become one of my favorites! When refilling the seed-feeders, it's become commonplace for a chickadee to be curious enough to perch within inches of my work.. and look right at me!  Very Happy Today; one perched on a feeder that I was in the process of hanging.

On a less whimsical note... my snowblower wanted no part of today's snow-removal chores. The engine cooperated.. but the auger and motive drives wanted to stay in the shed..  Sad  I tried making adjustments.. but it just wasn't going to happen. That's when you get that feeling.. like.. oh boy.. what am I going to do? Especially where the town apparently sub-contracted plow-labor this year.. and whomever plowed our cul-de-sac did a terrible job. There were two separate plowings.. and the 2nd was a "joke".  Maybe you can see what I mean in the attached photos..

Roddie and Lynne's house is buried on the right.. I'd been waiting for the storm to recede and the plowing to be done.. before starting my own clean-up.. but the plow didn't return.. leaving us with this..  

How's the weather? - Page 23 20201231
How's the weather? - Page 23 20201232

My neighbor (God bless his soul..) started-up his Ariens machine.. drove it across the street and cleaned us out. We were never as thankful as we were this afternoon.. having a relatively new neighbor help us out.. the way that he did.

He had a fairly-new Ariens machine that just ate-up the snow without laboring a single hiccup. So.. guess what?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:43 pm

We had migrant siskins galore,goldfinchs,and house finches,and flocks of Collared doves. In Nov.....virtualy nothing much since! Some nuthatchs and various woodpeckers is about it. So far been a mild open winter up here..i only have 7 feeders out!  Had to start feeding the squirrels peanuts for entertainment....and to keep them out of the bird feeders!How's the weather? - Page 23 20200910
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:51 pm

Ya...have dealt with those snowplow jerks up here for years. Usually they wait until you spend all day shoveling out.....then they plow you shut with 3-4 ft. of nice hard stuff!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:59 pm

OhBee wrote:Ya...have dealt with those snowplow jerks up here for years. Usually they wait until you spend all day shoveling out.....then they plow you shut with 3-4 ft. of nice hard stuff!

Yes.. I know that feeling.....
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:46 pm

OhBee wrote:We had migrant siskins galore,goldfinchs,and house finches,and flocks of Collared doves. In Nov.....virtualy nothing much since! Some nuthatchs and various woodpeckers is about it. So far been a mild open winter up here..i only have 7 feeders out!  Had to start feeding the squirrels peanuts for entertainment....and to keep them out of the bird feeders!
Bee that's a pileated woodpecker, no?
Spotting forever, never seen one. Crying or Very sad
Bob

Last edited by dckrsn on Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:49 pm

Yep...it sure is! Noisy buggers!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:20 pm

dckrsn wrote:
OhBee wrote:We had migrant siskins galore,goldfinchs,and house finches,and flocks of Collared doves. In Nov.....virtualy nothing much since! Some nuthatchs and various woodpeckers is about it. So far been a mild open winter up here..i only have 7 feeders out!  Had to start feeding the squirrels peanuts for entertainment....and to keep them out of the bird feeders!
Bee that's a pileated woodpecker, no?
Spotting forever, never seen one. Crying or Very sad
Bob

Same here!!! Got Bald Eagles all over, but those crow-sized woodpeckers are something to be seen! Good Deal for you!!!!!!!!! cheers
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:28 pm

so..... my beloved 1968 Simplicity Snowbuster 724 bit it today. The 7HP Tecumseh engine started on the 3rd/4th pull of the recoil.. with full-choke and multiple presses on the fuel-line primer-bulb. I was psyched. Temp was mid 20's Fahrenheit.. and there was still a couple hours of daylight left.. Shocked

How's the weather? - Page 23 Jeffs_10

I engage the auger.. and the auger doesn't engage.. Huh... What? .. so.. I do the "slap" on/off to see if the bearings were just cold/stiff.. and "yes".. the auger-drive started to run. I let it run for a minute.. hoping to free it up. It choked when only slightly loaded.. leading me to check-adjust the tension on the linkage. Then I realize that the machine is not in 2wl. drive.. so I lock the other hub.. and it didn't like that. Huh... The machine probably needs a new belt.. and  its drive-linkages adjusted. It wasn't going to happen today. By this time.. my wife (Lynne) is ready to buy a home in Florida.

Long story short; we bought a new Ariens 24" machine today from Lowes home center.. to be delivered "here" on 12/21.

How's the weather? - Page 23 Ariens10

I love my old 1968 Simplicity machine... and will try to get some proper maintenance done on it. Its Tecumseh engine can accept an electric-start kit. Lynne's Mom's property in Dennis, MA has a riding-mower (out of service) that has an electric starter option that may be compatible.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OhBee Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Roddie...does your old blower have a gearbox for the auger drive?....with perhaps no oil in it?...0r water in it that is now frozen?......been there!. Mine, unbeknownst to me  leaked all the oil out and tore up the bevel gearset....unobtanium (old).....been shoveling ever since!
I was new to this neighborhood this spring and one of the neighbors needed thier snowblower repaired....so I fixed it all up for him with the stipulation I could borrow it if need be. So far we havn"t needed one. But this IS Minnesota!
OhBee
OhBee
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:59 am

You guys over there at least still have four seasons with all attributes. I have not seen real snow around here in Hungary for the past 15 or so years..Not that I love shoveling, but winter is supposed to be winter, not just this muddy crap. Way back in time we would go skiing with the kids right here in the country..( the kids have grown up and moved out already and ) the next ski resort now is in neighboring Austria some 400 miles away, over 6000 feet altitude a.s.l.

So I am already longing for next March..
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:24 am

Andras, combine that with sunrise at 9.44am (20 minutes from now) and sunset at 3.03pm, a whopping 5.19 hours of sunlight, except when it is 100% overcast like right now. Gets a bit gloomy sometimes, especially when combined with the (voluntary) covid restrictions.

Well, after less than a week the days start to get longer again sunny
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 41 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 32 ... 41  Next