Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Glow Plug temps - please explain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Glow Plug temps - please explain

Post  VUgearhead on Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:03 am

I have never heard a good explanation on the workings of different glow plug/insert temps, that or I can't remember it.

Could someone please explain the usage of when to use a hot/medium/cold plug? I would be most grateful.

TIA.
VUgearhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glow Plug temps - please explain

Post  crankbndr on Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:21 am

crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:24 am

Hot plugs are generally used for low nitro applications, 0-15%. They're also used in high percentage castor fuels. This is a common heat range for control line useage. The R/c crowd would use this plug in addition especially on older baffle piston engines which required low idle and peppy transitions. If the temp was cooler, the plug would drown out so many hot plugs have a additional idle bar which supposedly shields the plugs element from an abundance of fuel getting thrown at it.  Medium temp range would be used for 10%-25% nitro fuels and this is a very common plug for modern r/c engines. However, these can be substituted for hot plugs if idle transition is cooling off the plug. Medium plugs would have a better lifespan due to the element being slightly heavier over the hot versions. Cold plugs are used for low compression high nitro fuels of 25% on up. Engine type and useage have a very large deciding factor as to what type of plug is required. They also have the heaviest element and take a bit more to light them up.

In general, experimentation is important but your nitro content is a very large part of the equation. Hot is for low nitro and cold is for high. Cox engines in general work superior on high nitro fuels. This assists in maintaining cylinder heat and needling of the engine. Ken
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top