Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

areo gloss - Thinning aero gloss sanding sealer? Cox_ba12

areo gloss - Thinning aero gloss sanding sealer? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

areo gloss - Thinning aero gloss sanding sealer? Empty
Live on Patrol

Thinning aero gloss sanding sealer?

Go down

areo gloss - Thinning aero gloss sanding sealer? Empty Thinning aero gloss sanding sealer?

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:12 am

I usually thin 50/50 sealer to thinner. Is there a better ratio to fill and seal sheeted models for a final coat of dope?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

areo gloss - Thinning aero gloss sanding sealer? Empty Re: Thinning aero gloss sanding sealer?

Post  getback Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:31 am

Bob , I don't know of a better than 50/50 is what I have used since on here as a kid it was straight on sealer // this could work if you don't get enough from the diluted , more sanding though ! lol . I am sure more dope heads will check in soon . Eric Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

areo gloss - Thinning aero gloss sanding sealer? Empty Re: Thinning aero gloss sanding sealer?

Post  roddie Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:45 am

I've only used it straight out of the bottle. I think I still have a bottle.. but I want to explore the possibility of using clear and adding something to it. I have a pint can of thinner.. and a couple large cans of clear. I think someone mentioned either cornstarch or talc.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:04 am

I have recently used the cornstarch added to dope/thinner mixed 50:50. It worked good in my opinion. I have not yet tried using talc in place of the cornstarch, but while reading, others expressed that the talc does sand easier. Also there are comments on using pure/unscented talc verses regular baby powder talc (scented), however people have used both. Either way, I have not read of problems by using one or the other.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:26 am

I have a jar of the aero gloss sealer but never used it...I mostly use Sig's dope products

I am just this week preparing 4 planes for covering today is sanding

I am using the Preval sprayers to lay coats of thinned 50/50 Nitrate with light sanding

The Sig sealer is mixed in Butyrate dope so I lay that on after I have done the Nitrate dope

Thinning the sanding sealer depends a lot on how large a surface... small areas get 100% and areas like my center section sheeting I thin it about 50/50 so I can cover the area with out it setting up too quickly and making lumpy areas cuz I don't always brush the same direction strokes
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:40 am

I have used it right out of the bottle, but it goes on to thick for my liking. 50/50 seems to penetrate better but doesn't fill as well. I'm ready to start finishing the add-on's for this Aircrate and will experiment with some 75/25 mixes. No way is it going to come out pretty, but I'm flying it warts and all. Smile

areo gloss - Thinning aero gloss sanding sealer? Dope_010

I have an old bottle of clear and will try a corn starch mix too. At eight bucks a bottle it's not cheap, but it's the only finish I have known, although I have used some of Brodaks color dopes.

This will be two coats sanding sealer (maybe 3) a coat of Lustrkote spray primer followed by a couple of coats of white.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:34 pm

Hey Bob, I'm sure that the old girl will look great with a little TLC and a new coat of paint on her!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterJGregory Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:42 pm

Build to fly! I am still at the build skill level where Looks is inversely proportional to Flyability. And I am OK with that - ha. I will save looking pretty for my retirement years, yet a long way off.
PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down