Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Cox_ba12

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Empty
Live on Patrol

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate

Go down

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Empty Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate

Post  balogh Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:36 pm

Until today I have used  Babe Bee backplate screens sold by Bernie as make-shift air filters tucked into the venturi of Killer Bee backplates. I know a screen may be found counter-productive on a Killer Bee plate that has an increased venturi diameter for better airflow, but the field I fly my planes always poses the danger of the engine sucking in flower seeds and dust.

I did not see too much choking effect with a screen in Killer Bee backplates i.e. the engine runs fine with it, but I decided to make it even less of a choke by using a patch cut from a tea filter bag. This is a plastic filter, finely woven, and resists nitro fuel. Because it does not occupy the venturi cross section inside like the steel screen I used before, I expect even lower choking effect than with the steel screen.

I cut 2 holes on the patch one on top one on the bottom and pulled them over the spraybar fuel nipple and threaded ends so as to secure it, and a small rubber ring is also added to press the filter on the venturi body for better sealing against unfiltered air.

Disregard the quality of my first tailoring attempt. For comparison of the mesh size, a genuine screen is also shown here.

I will tach it tomorrow.

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Teemes10
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Empty Re: Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate

Post  roddie Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Another filtering media you can try is polyurethane. Room/window air-conditioners use it on the intake-side. It's inexpensive.. and a package would last a lifetime.

I've used it for fuel-tank cushioning too. It's only 6.35mm (1/4") thick. A 19mm square piece could be tucked between the backplate and firewall. I can definitely understand your concerns about the open air-intake. A fouled reed really puts a damper on the fun. With my suggestion, you may need a horseshoe-shaped spacer-plate or stand-offs. The media will compress otherwise; probably decreasing the air-flow. Either way.. there isn't much space between the throat and the firewall as it is. I have this back-plate too.. and I think I'll try an experimental firewall that has some channeling for more air. Maybe just one slot to act as a high-rise manifold does on a hot-rod engine.

Here's a pic of the filter-media.

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Air_co10
Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Air_co11

It helps isolate vibration when running a hard-tank on little profile C/L models.
Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Air_co12

I like the tea-bag filter. I've never seen the plastic type. I should check at work. The company is Ireland-based.. and there's various boxes of Irish teas in the pantry. It seems tedious; your method of attachment.. but I don't see any other way to secure it.

Edit..

Here's some pics of a piece I just cut. It's hard to tell how much the media compresses, affecting cross-flow. A center slot-channel in the firewall would provide expansion-space for the media.. assuring good air-flow.

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Killer10
Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Killer11
Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Killer12
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Empty Re: Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate

Post  balogh Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:18 am

Thanks Roddie

Your solution also makes sense and is worth a try for unobstructed air flow. It mounts obviously easier than mine that occupies less room though and also allows Bernie's throttle application.

The teabag I used is from a Messmer tea box I met in the restaurant of a hotel I was put up this week in Germany. Not all the filter teas come with plastic bag, most have paper tissue bags. This one has plastic that stood my quick nitro test.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:23 am

balogh wrote:Thanks Roddie

Your solution also makes sense and is worth a try for unobstructed air flow. It mounts obviously easier than mine that occupies less room though and also allows Bernie's  throttle application.

The teabag I used is from a Messmer tea box I met in the restaurant of a hotel I was put up this week in Germany. Not all the filter teas come with plastic bag, most have paper tissue bags. This one has plastic that stood my quick nitro test.

I'm sorry Andras, I forgot all about the snorkel-throttle that you're using. Embarassed Do you suppose that the snorkel might hold the tea-bag mesh in-place on it's own.. without the rubber-band? I'm thinking it may also seat/seal better when you press the two together?

Being my crazy self.. I started thinking this morning about more options for air-filtering. I don't know if these would stay in place or not.. but they're easy to make.

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Snorke10

It would depend on the choke-tube's inner diameter. These inserts I made are 6.35mm (standard paper hole-punch size) and might be a good fit. You could install one down through the open throttle-barrel using a small dowel or something similar?

Removable, low-friction air-screen for Killer Bee backplate Choke-10

If it worked.. it would be serviceable by making a tiny music-wire "pick" to hook the filter and pull it out. No need to remove the engine. It places the filter further away from fuel too.. although I've found the filter-media to be fuel-proof. Polyurethane generally is, to a large extent.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down