Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Wedge Tank build - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Wedge Tank build - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Wedge Tank build - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Wedge Tank build

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Wedge Tank build - Page 2 Empty Re: Wedge Tank build

Post  Ken Cook Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Brass however splits easier on it's seam vs copper which is why copper is a better choice. If you internally soldered your pickup, this will give it much more longevity than leaving it like a tuning fork inside the tank.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Ken has just pointed out something I failed to mention.

On the tank build - I solder tack the fee pipe to the tank side and the uniflo pipe to the feed pipe. If it was a stunt tank, I would tack the two vent pipes together.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:12 pm

I assume that the automotive store 1/8" copper tubing for gages that I bought, is annealed.. because it is supplied in a 4 inch coil. All my tank-tubes were straight and none of them were longer than 1.5" so it was very easy to straighten them after cutting, by rolling a block over them on a nice flat surface. I also used emery cloth to clean the tubes..

Wedge Tank build - Page 2 1-8-1410
Wedge Tank build - Page 2 1-24-110

My first attempt at a uniflow.

Wedge Tank build - Page 2 1-23-110

After building the first tank.. I had gotten the methods down and it became fun.

4.6cc (left pair) 7.7cc (right pair)

Wedge Tank build - Page 2 2-28-110
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:50 am

The tanks that Roddie has made and shown here are very neat. The smaller the tank the more difficult it is to make.

On larger tanks - adjusting fits because of bends and overlaps is much easier than on tiny tanks.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:51 am

ian1954 wrote:The tanks that Roddie has made and shown here are very neat. The smaller the tank the more difficult it is to make.

On larger tanks - adjusting fits because of bends and overlaps is much easier than on tiny tanks.

On tiny tanks it may be easier to start a part over than to correct a bend...

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:24 am

Roddie, those are really good looking tanks! Do you somehow arrange an overlap of the two sheets in the corners or is it just a really good fit?

Rectangular ones seem easier to mount and allow a bigger volume of fuel in compact dimensions. I guess they won't work inverted, or do they? Inside loops probably are still doable?

Neat stuff all in all, shows how many sides there is in the "old school" model hobby.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:41 am

KariFS wrote:Roddie, those are really good looking tanks! Do you somehow arrange an overlap of the two sheets in the corners or is it just a really good fit?

Rectangular ones seem easier to mount and allow a bigger volume of fuel in compact dimensions. I guess they won't work inverted, or do they? Inside loops probably are still doable?

Neat stuff all in all, shows how many sides there is in the "old school" model hobby.

I'll second that.....Outstanding workmanship
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:19 pm

KariFS wrote:Roddie, those are really good looking tanks! Do you somehow arrange an overlap of the two sheets in the corners or is it just a really good fit?

Thank you. Ian made (3-D printed) die-presses to form his wedge's end-caps so they'd fit well to the body. That's a lot harder than what I did. I consulted Ian, Ken Cook and Paul Gibeault on my tanks.. as I had never attempted building one before.. and had no hard-soldering experience. Actually not a whole lot of electrical soldering experience either..

Mine are Speed tanks.. not meant for stunting. To answer your question Kari, I was careful when forming the bodies, to form all the bends squarely. This is accomplished using a block (wood or aluminum) the approx. size of the body on a hard/flat surface (tabletop) and small C-clamps to hold the .008" tin-sheet square to the block. Firm/even downward-pressure on the block to the table to make the first corner-bend. I then lightly and evenly tap across the bend using a plastic-faced hammer, which forms a nice tight 90 degree corner over/around the block. This gets you started more accurately. Once two corners of the body are made in this manner, the clamps can be removed because the block/plug will keep the tin from creeping while forming the remaining two corners. I allowed for extra stock for the joint on the final corner. Nothing fancy needed here. My first two tanks used a folded lock-seam.. but the smaller two that I built afterward used a simple 1/4" overlap.

Wedge Tank build - Page 2 11-30-10
Wedge Tank build - Page 2 3-17-110

End-caps were cut 1/4" longer overall, to allow 1/8" "tabs" to be formed on all sides. All 4 corners of the end-caps get 45 degree reliefs using scissors.

Wedge Tank build - Page 2 12-6-110

The caps can be formed over the same block used to form the body. I clamped the block (end facing up) in a bench-vise, hold the cap-panel on top with my fingers and used the plastic hammer to gently bend the tabs down around the block. Remove the block from the vise afterward and finish tapping/forming with it on the tabletop; one side at a time until all tabs form tight corners. With some tanks, I tucked the tabs inside the tank body.. and some were on the outside. The corners will all inadvertently have a pinhole size gap. The smaller this gap/hole.. the better the fit and likelihood of sealing when soldering.

A great method for installing the tubes is to layout/mark the locations once the front end-cap is soldered on and drill the tube-holes approx. half the size of your tube's diameter. Use an awl to gradually open them up until you can force the tube tightly through the hole from the outside. You'll see that this forms a nice little pocket for solder to pool; both strengthening the joint and providing for much better sealing against leaks.

Wedge Tank build - Page 2 1-23-111
Wedge Tank build - Page 2 1-8-1411

I should have taken more photos of each step.. I know it's hard to picture from my writing about my methods.. but hopefully I'm a descriptive writer. Rusty said I should do a tutorial-thread back a while ago.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2