Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Pee Wee engine kit #110 instructions
by Jason_WI Today at 10:50 pm

» Old Cox 049 will not hold RPM
by RknRusty Today at 9:18 pm

» 150,000 Posts!
by RknRusty Today at 7:05 pm

» Sterling engine
by Oldenginerod Today at 6:08 pm

» Mystery motor
by Oldenginerod Today at 5:57 pm

» Picked up something cool today
by 66 Malibu Today at 5:34 pm

» $15 Space Bug
by rsv1cox Today at 3:07 pm

» BHM Mosquito in MS-build
by londke3 Today at 2:46 pm

» Rare cox ??
by ticomareado Today at 12:15 pm

» NANO's .01 /.02 /.05 Sizes & Vidz Speed Planes
by 1/2A Nut Today at 9:48 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2018
706jim's

"Pee Wee powered witch"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

silkspan where to get

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: silkspan where to get

Post  Ken Cook on Tue May 30, 2017 3:18 pm

The shipping from Aircraft Spruce  was $18 for 2 quarts which I thought was too much. I send a lot of items much larger than what I received from coast to coast for a lot less than that. I don't use dope colors. I put on a nitrate base and use water based polyurethane from Auto Air or Systems 3. I can fly 1 hr after painting with the poly and up to 40% nitro protection. Dope is horrible in terms of fuel resistance ESPECIALLY for 1/2A use.
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Silkspan

Post  georgealbo on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:15 am

This is the thread on Stunthanger that began the end of the silkspan scarcity.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/world-shortage-of-silkspan-ended-frank-d-nominated-for-'hero-of-the-reich'/msg478439/#msg478439

K&S is selling it again in sheets.
georgealbo
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Silkspan

Post  DanMc on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks for the update George. There is still a feeding frenzy for silk span on eVilBay. I have seen auctions for a few sheets of GM heading to the stratosphere again. I got plenty of docspan, so I'm good for several lifetimes!
Type at you later,
Dan McEntee
DanMc
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:47 am

I have about 8 feet of doctor-paper from my dermatologist's office that's slated to be used on my Cardinal fuselage this week.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  georgealbo on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:38 am

RknRusty wrote:I have about 8 feet of doctor-paper from my dermatologist's office that's slated to be used on my Cardinal fuselage this week.

Careful, they are not all the same. Look through the SH threads and get the correct one or you will regret it. Do a little research first BEFORE expending energy time money and avoiding disastrous results.

Really, read the threads before applying what you got, THEY ARE NOT ALL THE SAME!!!!!
George
georgealbo
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David Ingham on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:31 pm

I have been doing well with silk from Dharma, 5 mm, and 8 mm colored on one model.  I still have some problems with wrinkling, but it is very strong, light and looks beautiful.  I now put it on wet.  It shrinks somewhat with a hair dryer.  Brodak candy apple colors tint it without blocking the light.
David Ingham
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:40 pm

georgealbo wrote:
RknRusty wrote:I have about 8 feet of doctor-paper from my dermatologist's office that's slated to be used on my Cardinal fuselage this week.

Careful, they are not all the same. Look through the SH threads and get the correct one or you will regret it. Do a little research first BEFORE expending energy time money and avoiding disastrous results.

Really, read the threads before applying what you got, THEY ARE NOT ALL THE SAME!!!!!
George
Yeah, thanks George, I'm aware there are differences, and I'm not sure what grade I have. I go to lots of doctors and they all seem the same, but I'll read up first. This is mainly going to be for aesthetics on the fuselage, as the wing will be M'koted. I hope I can get a comparison with my caliper.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

silkspan

Post  georgealbo on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:03 am

RknRusty wrote:
georgealbo wrote:

George
Yeah, thanks George, I'm aware there are differences, and I'm not sure what grade I have. I go to lots of doctors and they all seem the same, but I'll read up first. This is mainly going to be for aesthetics on the fuselage, as the wing will be M'koted. I hope I can get a comparison with my caliper.
Rusty

If it's for a fuse, don't bother going crazy. You can cover with toilet paper and it'll be fine. (I hope readers realize this was a joke) It's the open bays that need wet strength. On the SH threads you can see how nice the paper covers a wing. Looks nice and taught as it should be. Can't wait to use mine. I have several planes in the que to get finished.
georgealbo
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:53 pm

David Ingham wrote:I have been doing well with silk from Dharma, 5 mm, and 8 mm colored on one model.  I still have some problems with wrinkling, but it is very strong, light and looks beautiful.  I now put it on wet.  It shrinks somewhat with a hair dryer.  Brodak candy apple colors tint it without blocking the light.
Loooks Nice David!! what is the model?
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David Ingham on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Thanks Get.
That is a Mountain Models Dandy Sport wing to upgrade my main Dandy trainer to ailerons.
David Ingham
Silver Member
Silver Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:58 am

RknRusty wrote:

Rusty

That statement caught my eye Rusty. Try putting a small piece of the subject-covering/paper in-between two pieces of shim-stock.. and measure with your caliper.. then remove the paper and take a 2nd measurement. The difference is your covering/paper's thickness. Be sure to use shim-stock for consistent/accurate readings.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2