Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!!  The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !! Cox_ba12

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!!  The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!!  The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !! Empty
Live on Patrol

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!! The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !!

Go down

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!!  The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !! Empty IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!! The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !!

Post  Kim Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:51 pm

So, after an amazingly easy restoration, my Swap Meet Space Bug cranks up. A piston/conrod from the Babe Bee junk yard, a needle and spring from Bernie, new socket screws to replace the mangled originals...and OFF we go!

Now, if I'd just get the Lazy Bee's new rudder built, maybe I could fly it with Twin Space Bugs...

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!!  The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !! 17_210

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!!  The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !! 17_110

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!!  The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !! 17_310

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!!  The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !! 22_110

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!!  The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !! 22_210

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!!  The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !! Empty Re: IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!! The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !!

Post  MauricioB Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Kim Hi !, that good maintenance of that engine did !, I imagine your face happy to see him go again, I congratulate you !, thanks for sharing the photos! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up , Mauricio.-
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!!  The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !! Empty Re: IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!! The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !!

Post  fit90 Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:32 pm

I love watching the old ones get some TLC and then reward the new owner by being a good runner! Great work!
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Cool job and fast too! What could bend a rod like that, flooding? I damaged a piston once when the piston was frozen and I forced the prop but that pulled the rod out the piston.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Thanks Guys !!!

Yeah, I kept waiting for something to stop me---like the cylinder being cross-threaded and locked forever in the case (there was a gap between it's base and the case), but it came apart by hand after it's antifreeze bath (whoever here or over on Mark's .049 Group came up with the Crock-Pot treatment...I salute and THANK YOU!).

It could certainly use some new gaskets, but it's running fine for the moment.

Ain't got a clue on the bent rod deal, or why the piston was seized.  The engine HAD been opened up, witnessed by the messed up screws, but that was it.  Figure maybe someone just got ticked and, in the words of my brother Keith, 'Put the ocka-mocka to it' !!!

Space Bug Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:32 pm

An excellent repair. I have a few Space Bugs but never come across one with a bent con rod. It is usually the crankshaft that breaks.

The crankshafts and original heads are difficult to source and so I have done a few of this ilk by replacing the cylinder head assembly, boring and shortening the crankcase and fitting a standard Bee crankshaft

I like the shape of that crankcase - it is a really nice and light casting. That and the tank are too good looking to throw away.

I like to see an engine come back to life.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:05 pm

ian1954 wrote:An excellent repair. I have a few Space Bugs but never come across one with a bent con rod. It is usually the crankshaft that breaks.

The crankshafts and original heads are difficult to source and so I have done a few of this ilk by replacing the cylinder head assembly, boring and shortening the crankcase and fitting a standard Bee crankshaft

I like the shape of that crankcase - it is a really nice and light casting. That and the tank are too good looking to throw away.

I like to see an engine come back to life.

Thanks Ian,
I actually get more worked up about the busted and abused engines than the pretty ones...looking forward to getting them going. This forum has exponentially increased the fun with restoration tips and then getting to share this stuff with like-minds.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down