Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!! The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!! The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !!

Post  Kim on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:51 pm

So, after an amazingly easy restoration, my Swap Meet Space Bug cranks up. A piston/conrod from the Babe Bee junk yard, a needle and spring from Bernie, new socket screws to replace the mangled originals...and OFF we go!

Now, if I'd just get the Lazy Bee's new rudder built, maybe I could fly it with Twin Space Bugs...

Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: IT Runs...IT RUNS!!!!! The Rescue Bug Comes Alive !!

Post  MauricioB on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Kim Hi !, that good maintenance of that engine did !, I imagine your face happy to see him go again, I congratulate you !, thanks for sharing the photos! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up , Mauricio.-
MauricioB
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:32 pm

I love watching the old ones get some TLC and then reward the new owner by being a good runner! Great work!
fit90
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr on Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Cool job and fast too! What could bend a rod like that, flooding? I damaged a piston once when the piston was frozen and I forced the prop but that pulled the rod out the piston.
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:34 pm

Thanks Guys !!!

Yeah, I kept waiting for something to stop me---like the cylinder being cross-threaded and locked forever in the case (there was a gap between it's base and the case), but it came apart by hand after it's antifreeze bath (whoever here or over on Mark's .049 Group came up with the Crock-Pot treatment...I salute and THANK YOU!).

It could certainly use some new gaskets, but it's running fine for the moment.

Ain't got a clue on the bent rod deal, or why the piston was seized.  The engine HAD been opened up, witnessed by the messed up screws, but that was it.  Figure maybe someone just got ticked and, in the words of my brother Keith, 'Put the ocka-mocka to it' !!!

Space Bug Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:32 pm

An excellent repair. I have a few Space Bugs but never come across one with a bent con rod. It is usually the crankshaft that breaks.

The crankshafts and original heads are difficult to source and so I have done a few of this ilk by replacing the cylinder head assembly, boring and shortening the crankcase and fitting a standard Bee crankshaft

I like the shape of that crankcase - it is a really nice and light casting. That and the tank are too good looking to throw away.

I like to see an engine come back to life.

ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:05 pm

ian1954 wrote:An excellent repair. I have a few Space Bugs but never come across one with a bent con rod. It is usually the crankshaft that breaks.

The crankshafts and original heads are difficult to source and so I have done a few of this ilk by replacing the cylinder head assembly, boring and shortening the crankcase and fitting a standard Bee crankshaft

I like the shape of that crankcase - it is a really nice and light casting. That and the tank are too good looking to throw away.

I like to see an engine come back to life.

Thanks Ian,
I actually get more worked up about the busted and abused engines than the pretty ones...looking forward to getting them going. This forum has exponentially increased the fun with restoration tips and then getting to share this stuff with like-minds.
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top