Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests Cox_ba12

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests Empty
Live on Patrol

Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests

Go down

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests Empty Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests

Post  Kim Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:44 am

So, with winds coming up before I could finish a new GoPro mount for my old Kadet, I decided to test some of the samples of fuel that I've accumulated.  The ages and nitro contents vary, so it's NOT very scientific, but the test might still be useful to new guys and the ones returning to the wonderful world of live nitro.

From a Sport Flying standpoint, any of them will turn an engine fast enough to boost an R/C into the air, or pull a control liner around it's circle.

The test engine is one of my hard-working Cox Tee Dee .049's that has spent a lot of time hauling my 2 Meter Bird of Time Sailplane to altitude.  Well, broken-in and a good-natured starter, it was laying around handy while the B.O.T. tried out another Tee Dee.

It's topped with a Cox Tee Dee head, with 1 new gasket, and pulling fuel from an open vent test tank.  It's prop is a balanced Cox 5-3 Gray.  The Tee Dee was started, allowed to warm up with a rich setting, then peaked out for a minute or so before the RPM was recorded.  I knocked off what looked to be the top and bottom readings, going for the middle of the road numbers.

In what COULD be called Tee Dee abuse, I even tried some ancient Cox Super Fuel from Ye Olden Days, and was surprised to see it fire up the engine, though with a really fussy needle.

Not pictured, but also tested was some Sig .15%, which I use quite a bit because it will run the smaller engines very similar to the Fitz Fuels, while also running well in the larger .15 sizes that launch my 3 Meter B.O.T.

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests 1_18

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests 2_19

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests 3_18

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests 4_14

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests 5_13

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests 6_12

I know it's all pretty much a retread of the numbers we've gotten before but, as I said...I got bored and the little engine was laying there so...

Last edited by Kim on Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests Empty Re: Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:32 am

Wow. The Cox Super Power 35% blew the doors off of Sig 35. Btw, the old Cox red can is... was 30%. But I'm betting yours was low on nitro, if not methanol too. I only ever had a test bottle of the new Cox 35, but I got some of the best runs ever with it in my Li'l Satan's Tee Dee.
Thanks for the entertainment.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

fuel testing - Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests Empty Re: Kim's unofficial, totally non-scientific, Friday morning fuel tests

Post  1/2A Nut Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:07 am

Up to a 3,150 rpm spread from top to bottom %

I use Fritz 35% / 20% castor can recommend.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:38 pm

This reminded me I need to order Torco Nitro and meth and more Sig Castor

I put a few NIB .35s in service and compared to the 1/2a stuff they love to eat fuel

I also need to swing by the Sherwin Williams paint store one of these days and get a few more quart and gallon CANs

clean, all metal, seal good caps, keeps good fuel good longer than the plastic crap they keep sending us fuel in

All my Tower and Sig quart bottles have a bulged non flat bottom despite me spending a lot to keep this Barn temp controlled no cooler than 50F and no hotter than 85F

Hell I am so OCD about long term storage of fuel...I bought a bunch( 12 gallons) from a LHS going out of business sale...That I wrap tin foil around the plastic jugs and cover with dark towel inside a fire proof container

Short term use light and humidity are not a serious problem but keeping fuel for a few years it needs to be out of any UV light , temp controlled and sealed tight

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down