Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2018
Davenz13's

"Cox Special MKII .15"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Norvel 061 information and experience?

Go down

Norvel 061 information and experience?

Post  MauricioB on Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:14 pm

Hello, some time this engine purchase a colleague, the engine is almost new, has little use, so I decided to cleaning, oiling and put in place to enjoy their performance.
Someone on the forum has experience in this engine could comment me your opinion ?, product recommendations ???, thanks, greetings, Mauricio.-

MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Norvel 061 information and experience?

Post  MauricioB on Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:27 pm

I finished a few minutes ago assemble engine, and install it to give up.
I prepared castor fuel composed of 18% methanol and rest, gave up finger and pulled the second attempt! Very Happy

MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner on Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:27 pm

These are really hot little engines, I have several of them. they like high nitro. If you ever get a chance to buy a norvel .074 get it they are good little engines too.
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:18 pm

Wonderful engines for the price. That particular head and glow plug is robbing you of quite a few hundred rpm's. Depending on what version you have, Big Mig or AME you can see some outstanding rpm#'s. With the glow plug removed count how many holes inside the cylinder. 5 holes indicates a Big Mig, 3 holes which are quite large is a AME. Your engine is the earlier ABN pre-revlite. I like these and found them to be very close in performance from one to another. The Big Mig designed around sport swings a bit more prop over the AME. The AME is designed around higher rpm's speed and combat use. I wouldn't use props over a 3 pitch and even a 6x3 is too much prop for these. These run considerably higher rpm's over a Cox engine and props such as the APC 5.5x2.5 work very well for a larger prop. Keep the blade area of the prop small. The APC's are notorious for that which is why the work so well. Older Tornado white props work well due to narrow blade area equally. I found that they don't require nitro like the Cox variants however due to my useage I give them a good dosing of vitamin N .
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner on Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:40 pm

Ken Cook wrote: Wonderful engines for the price. That particular head and glow plug is robbing you of quite a few hundred rpm's. Depending on what version you have, Big Mig or AME you can see some outstanding rpm#'s. With the glow plug removed count how many holes inside the cylinder. 5 holes indicates a Big Mig, 3 holes which are quite large is a AME. Your engine is the earlier ABN pre-revlite. I like these and found them to be very close in performance from one to another. The Big Mig designed around sport swings a bit more prop over the AME. The AME is designed around higher rpm's speed and combat use. I wouldn't use props over a 3 pitch and even a 6x3 is too much prop for these. These run considerably higher rpm's over a Cox engine and props such as the APC 5.5x2.5 work very well for a larger prop. Keep the blade area of the prop small. The APC's are notorious for that which is why the work so well. Older Tornado white props work well due to narrow blade area equally. I found that they don't require nitro like the Cox variants however due to my useage I give them a good dosing of vitamin N .
Ken, Just curious, how can you you determine that it is a pre revlite engine? Thanks
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb on Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:07 pm

akjgardner wrote:...Ken, Just curious, how can you you determine that it is a pre revlite engine? Thanks

Not Ken but the quick answer is that the pre-Revlite engines (as shown) have a chromed cylinder. The Revlite version introduced an aluminum cylinder that is hard anodized with aluminum oxide to provide a cooler running, longer lasting engine. Both versions are excellent. The Big Mig seems to run well with 6x2 or 5.7x3 props. The Revlite version has a larger gray-black cylinder.

George

Edit: Oops...since this is not the diesel version it should probably be moved to the glow engines section to get more responses.
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:57 pm

Moved...
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut on Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:14 pm

I use 25% nitro / 20% castor with the one setup on my Skorch. Here is a vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9781kPmbDc

Published on Aug 10, 2015

.061 AME Norvel on a Profi 1/2A Tuned Pipe
Non SPI version with 150 deg exhaust timing
APC 4.2x4 2oz of bench running prior to first flight
In the hand 25,436 / 96F summer day
Best level pass 27.683 / 105 mph
12oz all up weight 5ch plane with flaps
88sq. in 28in span
1/2A Nut
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner on Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:01 pm

gcb wrote:
akjgardner wrote:...Ken, Just curious, how can you you determine that it is a pre revlite engine? Thanks

Not Ken but the quick answer is that the pre-Revlite engines (as shown) have a chromed cylinder. The Revlite version introduced an aluminum cylinder that is hard anodized with aluminum oxide to provide a cooler running, longer lasting engine. Both versions are excellent. The Big Mig seems to run well with 6x2 or 5.7x3 props. The Revlite version has a larger gray-black cylinder. Thanks George

George

Edit: Oops...since this is not the diesel version it should probably be moved to the glow engines section to get more responses.
akjgardner
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:27 pm

Mauricio, might you be confusing Nitromethane and Methanol(methyl alcohol)?
1/2A Nut's numbers are right. 25% nitro is a good mix with 20% oil and 55% methanol. Ken's reference to "Vitamin N" means nitromethane, which we usually refer to as "Nitro." I know e have a language barrier between us, so I will try not to use our modeling slang, though it is more fun in English Lol. (not cracking on you, Ken)

If you used 18% methanol, and I assume 20% oil, then your nitromethane content would be 62%. That's too high for sport flying, and possibly better suited for speed, with the expectation of wearing the engine out after a few runs.

In any case, I use 35% nitro in all of my 1/2A Control Line engines, all of them are pressure-bladder fed, and are easy to run and extremely powerful. The only thing I differ on from 1/2A nut is my choice of props. For sport flying I use 5x3", 5.25x3" and 5.5x3" props, with the 5.5" prop overloading it noticeably in aerobatics. My RPMs in flight are(guessing) in the 23-26k range. If I need high RPM but slow enough air speed for short 35' lines, I use an APC 6x3 prop. Average tame RC planes would have different requirements, longer props, I suspect, but don't really know.

I love Norvels, I think they are the best inexpensive sport 1/2A and A(.074?) engines in the world. We have had one CEF member who had disastrously poor performance with several Revlite .061s from NV Engines. No compression and poor fits. He was completely disgusted and gave them up for good, but this is the only case I've heard of. My only problem is after a  few years of fast flying, they begin to stall and die after 1/2 tank. But disassembly and thorough crankshaft polishing fixes this for good as well as I can tell so far.

That's about all I can tell you  about them.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi thank you all for so much information, I am grateful for the good will of all of you.
Rusty:
To clarify the translation, in my description I say:
Methanol (methyl alcohol) rest
Ricin (castor oil) 18%
I made this mixture just to test the engine, wanted to listen up, also possess the original spark plug as you can see in the photo above, but do not want to use it because it is complicated to get here, so I use conversion, even if you lose performance.
The idea is to at some point make some model to fly quiet and so take care of him and not demand too much, since I like to keep it as a collector's item.
Very good and very useful information !, thanks !!, Mauricio Thumbs Up .-

MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:51 pm

1/2A Nut wrote:I use 25% nitro / 20% castor with the one setup on my Skorch.  Here is a vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9781kPmbDc

Published on Aug 10, 2015

.061 AME Norvel on a Profi 1/2A Tuned Pipe
Non SPI version with 150 deg exhaust timing
APC 4.2x4 2oz of bench running prior to first flight
In the hand 25,436 / 96F summer day
Best level pass 27.683 / 105 mph
12oz all up weight 5ch plane with flaps
88sq. in 28in span

Wow! awesome !, very good, thanks for sharing!...Mauricio.-
MauricioB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down