Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Running My First TD Question Cox_ba12

Running My First TD Question Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Running My First TD Question Empty
Live on Patrol

Running My First TD Question

Go down

Running My First TD Question Empty Running My First TD Question

Post  NEW222 Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi there. I have just a quick question regarding the running of my first TD engine. I am pretty sure the answer is yes, but just wanted to ask. Can I run a TD .051 on a clunk tank set-up? The TD is all original, and the tank is one made by me pictured here. I am assuming to hook the clunk line to the needle/venture? Thank you in advance. I am hoping to give it a whirl sometime this week.
Running My First TD Question Fuel_t11
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Running My First TD Question Empty Re: Running My First TD Question

Post  NEW222 Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:04 pm

And sorry for my ignorance, at what height would I best have the tank set up at? Center of tank with center of needle?
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Yup you guessed right! yes you can run a TD on a clunk tank. Just keep in mind that the TD doesn't have as much draw as lets say a medallion .049 so line placement is more critical with TD running on no pressure. The clunk (Feed) line goes to the spray bar/needle assembly and the feed line should be as close to center to the NV and as close as you can get it to the engine without pinching any lines, this will help the engine draw fuel reliably. Also about the tank, there are clunks available Hobbico and Dubro are a few that make em that you can use that sit near the bottom of the tank and have a siphoning groove on the end in the event that the clunk gets butted up against the back of the tank so as to not cut off fuel draw your clink will work however just make sure that you cut the end of the pickup into a point (two angles opposite each other) to keep it from being blocked off.
Hope this helps! (Bandit)

Last edited by TDbandit on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:27 pm

Helps a lot. Thank you for your help.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi New.
I had a tough time cranking my first Tee Dee. It was my first rotary valved engine too, so I'll tell you what I learned from my goofy experience.

There is a fine line between the tank positioned too high and too low. If it's too high, fuel will continuously siphon into the engine(while not cranked) and flood it. In fact that's the way usually I set up for a bench run, but once I see fuel fill the line up to the engine, I clamp it off. Then I prime and crank, un-clamping the line while the engine is running on he prime. Once you find your needle setting it's very easy to repeat every time once you get the hang of it. If it does get flooded, and it will, just keep flipping until it burns off and it'll eventually start, and you can un-clamp and it'll keep running.

If you set it up low enough to not perpetually siphon, then cover the venturi with a finger, pull the prop through and watch it draw fuel through the line. Then prime the exhaust and crank. If you think the venturi is still dry, put a drop in it too. If it's a little lower the fuel will run back away from the engine leaving you high and dry, and it might not have time to pull it back while running on the prime. Btw, remote NVs on other engines can be maddening about that too. Once it finally cranks, and if you have a small prop on it, it will scare you under the table! Lol.

And once you get to the point that's it's so easy and dependable, a Tee Dee is all you'll want to use... along with Medallions.

Rusty

P.S. I find TDs easiest to back-flip when cranking. Turn the prop in the normal direction till it stops, and then slap it backwards. Works for me. I've started using a chicken stick too. My fingers are too tired to take that kind of abuse anymore.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:17 pm

Thank you for the help and tips. I could not find any plastic haemostats locally, so I had to settle for a larger metal pair. Hope they will be alright. I knew I bought them for something.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:32 pm

Cover the jaws on that metal clamp. Fuel line or electrical tape, so it can't cut the good fuel line.

I got my plastic hemostats on ebay. The ones I bought dropped off my list. They look like these, but blue.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastic-Hemostat-Line-Tube-Clamp-Green-Lot-of-5-/301863701146?hash=item46487a8a9a:g:upwAAOSwzhVWsT8J

Don't sweat things. Get the engine to run on prime. Prime intake and exhaust, clear it, then just hang a drop of fuel on a closed exhaust port. It should immediately fire and die. Then fill up your fuel tank. 5-10 minutes of making it bark on command will make things go really easy.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:51 pm

New,
If you PM your address to me, I'll send you some plastic ones. I can get them from my dialysis clinic to replace my stock now and then. They are a must have item for my flight box. You'll need them when you start using bladders on those badass TDs too Lol
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down