Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

OS LA 25 - Silver CL Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2020
Kim's

"Double Your Pleasure" Two .020 Tee Dees and Their New Tanks"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OS LA 25 - Silver CL Empty

OS LA 25 - Silver CL

Go down

OS LA 25 - Silver CL Empty OS LA 25 - Silver CL

Post  ian1954 on Thu May 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Another model shop closing down led me to this. Half price to clear!

OS LA 25 - Silver CL Os_la_10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

OS LA 25 - Silver CL Empty Re: OS LA 25 - Silver CL

Post  RknRusty on Thu May 19, 2016 5:54 pm

The LA .25 is said to be the best mistake OS ever made for control line. Except for the rear mounted NVA. It'll do the job on any older model that calls for a Fox .35. All except for the classic 4-2 stunt break with a trail of castor rich smoke.

The silver one probably has a steel sleeve. I don't know the specifics on when the change to ABN or ABC took place. A .257 venturi is probably what you want for a stunt run. If that's what you might use it for.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Thu May 19, 2016 7:23 pm

I love the LA .25. I use it extensively for stunt, combat, racing. I own about a dozen of them. I personally don't feel that it can replace the Fox .35. Just for comparison, I can't see the LA .25 flying a Oriental for instance with 550 sq" of wing. Yes, it flies a Flite Streak fine with about 450 but those that makes these claims suggest that it runs stronger and harder than a Fox .35. I have to say my findings are not the same.  The LA .25 was always a ABN engine and was always offered as such. The LA .25 made it's debut in blue, many people bitched about it and it was offered in silver. No difference between the silver or blue just personal preference. Some make claims the latest versions are more powerful. I sent OS an e-mail in regards to this and they had nothing to offer than other than no differences. The very last versions of the LA .25 were made in China.  I don't know the meaning of running one mildly. The harder you run them, the better they work.  The only issue I have had is the end pads of the wrist pin wear out when mounted profile which can score the cylinder wall if left undetected.

The LA engine line was  the solution to it's predecessor the FP series. The crank, conrod, drive washer,  backplate, venturi and needle are all that essentially swaps over. OS found several ways to reduce the cost such as eliminating the fully bushed crankcase and using two smaller pieces. They also changed the port timing in the sleeve eliminating some machining steps. The plastic backplate was another solution. They also reduced the number of head screws from 6 to 4. The stock remote needle doesn't work as effectively as the standard FP needle valve for control line. The taper is not steep enough on the needle. The end result is that just prior to peak rpm, the rpm's fall off due to fuel starvation. It's a great engine. It works well for many models and while some make claims it can replace the Fox, I found this to be true when used with modern lazer cut kits that are repros of the older kits.  Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty on Thu May 19, 2016 9:18 pm

Boy, I exposed my ignorance. Sorry, I thought I knew more than I did. Thanks for educating me. Okay, I haven't been a doofus all day, I guess I was due Lol. I hate it when I do that in public.
RedfacedRusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty

2019 Supporter

2020 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Fri May 20, 2016 4:26 am

RUsty, that certainly wasn't my intent. I wish that OS replaced the missing link in the engine line and made a .35. Sometimes certain engines receive bad reputations from poor feedback. Fortunately, this isn't one of them and the LA .40 was. The .40 happens to be one of my fav engines and the .46 goes without saying. I think the likely culprit here is that when the engine was visually analyzed initially, it wasn't accepted with open arms. The plastic backplate received nothing but negative comments and experiences. The other problem that occurred with this engine line is that no one uses the proper screwdrivers to remove the screws. The end result is stripped out heads. The solution is to take the allen socket heads from a FP engine and swap them out.

I have witnessed the backplate leaks from being plastic. A very easy solution to fix. Place Permatex on the lip of the backplate and use small washers under the screws to give a larger footprint. It's pretty much as simple as that.

The earlier remote needles came individually with a metal bracket which attached to the backplate. The newer versions had the needle molded into the backplate. If one crashes using the molded version, the end result is that it breaks the backplate opposed to bending the bracket. I rarely aside from a few planes ever used the remote needle valve. One use for me was pretty much all it took to discover that it wasn't designed around my use. It also becomes difficult to mount it inside full fuse plane which is also limited to the side the needle valve exits on unless you have the metal bracket and older needle.

To sum up the entire experience, for those that don't own one of these engines, I would seriously think about purchasing one. Hang up the old timers and use one of these engines. These are terrific engines for their price and the durability is also outstanding. The engine runs perfectly fine on 5% nitro-10% 50/50 fuels . Thank you Ian for posting another wonderful engine
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum