Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too Cox_ba12

Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 8:03 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too Empty
Live on Patrol

Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too

Go down

Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too Empty Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too

Post  RknRusty Thu May 26, 2016 12:04 am

For the foreseeable future we've got great flying weather forecast, Temps in the mid 80s and light winds out of mostly the southwest. can't pass this up, so all the Jackson Flyers are ready for some Thursday action. we have a new one too, Mike Lindler, an old friend of Wayne's.

Mike's an American Airlines pilot, and he and his Dad have been lone CL flyers for some time now.  He has nice equipment and knows how to use it pretty well. For a long time, Wayne's been twisting his arm to learn some stunt and come out for a contest, but he was afraid of making a fool of himself and wouldn't try. Finally I met him when he came to Huntersville to watch on Friday, had a great time and drove back to Columbia that night. I had talked him(hopefully but doubtfully) into coming to fly Profile on Saturday. Sure enough, he showed up in the morning with a beater to fly over the asphalt. He had a great time, flew the Beginner pattern in both rounds, and met and talked to all kinds of people. He bid us farewell and headed home where he had Sunday chores awaiting, so he wouldn't be back for PAMPA Stunt Sunday.

Sunday morning they had combined Beginner and Intermediate the same circle. About half way through second round, look who shows up, Mister Thanks-but-no-thanks himself Lol... carrying a sharp red and black Oriental ARF hat had obviously been thoughtfully upgraded from it's lowly ARF status. Being the loose atmosphere that Huntersville is, they let him get his first and second round flights in. Dad pits and Mike flies. That Double Star stunt engine sounded like the ones the pros fly.I wonder if tomorrow at the Fort will be his first time ever flying without his Dad. Mike and Holley and I were sitting and chatting between flights, and Mike was commenting on how so unexpectedly this was about the most fun he recalled having in recent time. I agreed, that this was the most fun I've ever had in my adult life, and it had caught me completely off guard too. I'd also had my arm twisted. Not only by Wayne, but people here and RC Groups, like Mark Boesen, Jim Thomerson, and Ron Cribbs too. He used to watch my churchyard videos and say, "Rusty, if you ever went to one of those contests, you could bring home the Gold!" Anyway, Mike said, "You know I've been here meeting people for 3 days, and there's not one Dick here Lol. The boy went on to win 2nd place Beginner Sunday out of 3 contestants. So the two of us brought a 2nd and a 3rd back to Columbia. Last year Wayne and I brought 1st and 2nd back home in Int.
He looks proud proud doesn't he.
Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too 05011610

Not too bad, 2nd place. Pretty close scores too. He signed in as Carl. For some reason he goes by either name.
Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too Score_10

Two weeks later He showed up at Triple Tree with the same Oriental and won 1st place, beating a bunch of people too. I think we've got him hooked. He's meeting me at my house in the morning for our excursion. Looks like it'll be Me, Wayne, Bob and Mike. Maybe Rich Malik too, but haven't heard back from him.

I've been thinking about 1/2A a lot lately, so I got my old red, white, and blue BFS-I off the hook and made her a new bladder. The old one from September's 1/2A day looked like it would work fine, but I don't want to do any field fixes if I can help it. The old TD .051 is about out of compression, but still screams pretty good. I plan to use the camera as much as possible tomorrow. With the calm weather, I want to see just how good or bad I really can fly the pattern, so the Cardinal will get a workout out too. We're going to lay some cones around the circle at 45degrees separation and see just where we're putting or stunts. It's time for us both to break out of Int this Summer and bring a new game to Huntersville in October.

Stay tuned for a flight report.
Tomorrow,
Rusty

Last edited by RknRusty on Thu May 26, 2016 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : BFS-I not II)

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too Empty Re: Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too

Post  fit90 Thu May 26, 2016 7:05 am

OUTSTANDING! Sounds like he is a lucky guy to have been brought in to "the circle" by such a great group. Enjoy it. It is always so much better with a great group of guys.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too Empty Re: Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too

Post  RknRusty Thu May 26, 2016 8:47 pm

We had a great turnout today, everybody but Rich, hope he's alright. The weather was just as we expected, light winds, but the usual extra dose at our high site. Didn't bother us a bit other than the occasional thermal 180 switcharoo. Mike, Wayne, Bob and I started the day, and later Danny Brown an RC member of the Jackson Flyers came with some amazing warbirds. A big 7 channel ducted fan F-15 eagle that was an awesome flyer on its maiden flight. He made it look fun and barely had to do any trimming at all. The graphic trim on the Eagle was perfectly detailed, even the landing lights looked real in the air. That fan roared as it streaked over the runway. He was a skilled pilot too, better than many we see out there.

Danny was very surprised and interested in what our stunters can do. In one of my movies we have a good discussion as I explain how CLPA works while we watch Wayne fly a crisp pattern. It'll be up in the next hour or so, I still need to edit and upload. Here are a couple of movies to watch while I get the rest put together. I think they're pretty entertaining. And though I was happy with my flights, this first one with Wayne critiquing as I fly, really shines the light on things I badly need to work on. I really overestimate my skills, though I know they are improving.

So here's a starter. I used my camera completely up today.
Wayne critiques my flight
https://youtu.be/0pn4z87IaxA

And the comic sequel, I critique Wayne's flight
https://youtu.be/mt9obPxvjJs

Here's a group pic.
Danny, Wayne, Rusty and Mike. Bob had already jumped in the Ferrari and hauled ass outta there.
Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too Jackso11

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 26, 2016 10:31 pm

Ane here's another installment. This one is pretty good, I discuss CLPA with one of our club's RC guys while Wayne maidens a cavalier.

https://youtu.be/Q8uji5MsnL4

Here's the last one, still uploading as I post this. Boy, I love my new faster internet connection.
https://youtu.be/RsuWPIc0Riw

Hope y'all enjoyed my video productions.
That may well be my last flying until after the Beach and the Brodak Fly-in are history. late June or early July. When I return I should be flying my Twister and my Re-Nobler
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri May 27, 2016 8:03 am

Thanks Rusty , as always enjoyed the report and videos . Good to see you have a new member in the C/L World flying with you and does a good job at it also . Liked the critic part where Wayne was giving the pointers " Man that would get on my nerves " but I guess you get use to it after a while lol Eric RC Plane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri May 27, 2016 8:32 am

Too cool! GOT to swerve down your way sometime this summer and witness this stuff for myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri May 27, 2016 11:10 am

Kim wrote:Too cool!  GOT to swerve down your way sometime this summer and witness this stuff for myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim Stricker, COME ON DOWN!
We'll entertain you.

But I don't imagine it's any different from what all these guy do
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri May 27, 2016 11:44 am

Hey Rusty.. thanks for the report and vids. Last weekend I drove out to Wrentham, MA to watch the N.E.S.T. guys fly. There was about a 50/50 ratio of Glow/electric models. This is Leon Bowen and his EP "Avenger".

Perfect Thursday expedition - and some new blood in the Gang too Leon_b10

I'd like to see you build an electric. I think it would help you concentrate without the distraction of how a glow-engine is running. I was surprised at what happened to Wayne just prior to the end of his flight (the one that you critiqued). I don't know what type of timer/controller he's using.. but some of them can be programmed to give a "warning-burp" near the end of the flight. The burp can be programmed for a given point before the final cut-off.. giving plenty of time to level-out. It's a nice feature to have IMO.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri May 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Rusty

I am 180 out from Roddie's thoughts....but purely for 61 year old nostalgia reasons

While I will fully agree, going electrickey is the future and will end IC as it is now... electrons are a superior way to control power and fly-ability...in fact many of the world leaders are full on electron powered

I tend to think a lot of the grin factor, self satisfaction, comes from learning the ways to get the power package working consistently, the smells, the sounds, and yes even the OH SH-I-, Ah Er, Crap moments are worth the effort of a good or poorly running IC/GLOW engine

That said, I do intend to create at least one (proven design) battery powered stunt/sport/fun model...most likely a RSM or Brodak ARF/Complete package

Building Ring Master number three as I write this and it will have a Ron Cribbs supplied Lew Woolard Muffled Fox .35 on the nose of the very very good Pat Johnston Gold Kit

Electrickery on new design plane would not assault my nostalgia attitude....BUT I would NEVER consider it for a old skool stunt plane

As long as I am pontificating...the Phil Cartier CoreHouse RST RingMaster varient got a NIB OS LA 25 for power and it is so much better power and starting wise than the 1948 designed Fox engines... so Fred is slowly moving from the 19th through the 20th, and into the 21st century....grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri May 27, 2016 4:25 pm

All my movie fans are checking in, thank you all... blows kisses Lol

Eric, I wanted the critique from Wayne, so no irritation. When I do minor booger-ups on stunts like porpoising the bottoms of my triangles, nevermind everything else, and then go on to make the rest of the stunt good, I'm all, "Boy, I dun good!!", and forgetting the rest. It's eye-opening to see how much I do poorly in a pattern that would otherwise have me coming here and exclaiming how I'd just flown the best pattern of my life. Which is unfortunately true on most occasions. I really don't ever say that when I do not actually believe it. But this critique really shows me where I am. So, disappointed in myself, maybe, but irritated with my flying buddy, no, that's what I needed and it's what I got.

Fred, you and I are brudders from other mudders. Bob asked me yesterday if I ever considered dabbling in electric, and with no hesitation, I said, "No." He looked relieved Lol.

Rod, if I had one I would love it and fly it, but it's an investment in too many ways I cannot make. Financially, I'm finally on cruise control with my modeling, I have mostly the engines I need and the rest will be cheap when I do require something special. Like a Max-S for my Sterling Mustang. I cannot afford to re-tool and equip for electric power, batteries and chargers, ESC and timers, learning to build new types of motor mounts, etc. IC is what brought me to this hobby, and IC quirks are a challenge I love to hate. Other than the runaway fp.40 that I finally got fixed the week before destroying its ride, I've been having a swimmingly easy time with fuel metering, cranking and needling my engines. So the short answer is, I'm not interested in e-power for my fleet. Yesterday, strangely, I did have to 5-flip my LA.46, but I had just run out of fuel in my can and used a patchwork mix of old spare combined fuel. And it ran fine anyway. That was the flight in my first video.

Kim, is it really possible you could come over and down to my part of the country? I'd love to add you to the list of forum friends that I meet in real life.

Okay, y'all carry on.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat May 28, 2016 12:51 pm

Roddie I asked Wayne this morning. He had read your post asking about the engine shutoff. It is programmed, and I was too busy talking to notice it didn't burp. He said that battery was causing trouble and died unexpectedly before the timer got to the warning. All the other batteries were working fine, but that one is apparently unstable.
Rusty

EDIT: the Fullscreen box(button) doesn't work on some of my videos anymore, I don't know why. But if you click the Youtube logo, you can watch full screen. Watching a stunt ship fly in the small view is like watching a bug. I guess my phone viewers are deprived of a quality viewing experience too. I'll be glad when we all have Google-Glass glasses.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down