Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2018
Kim's

"War Dog hauls the 2M B.O.T. out of Uncle Wayne's backyard"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

What a difference an inch makes…

Go down

What a difference an inch makes…

Post  batjac on Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:16 pm

When I was out tweaking a Medallion .049 to go on my BTC-4M, I started out with a Cox 5x3 yellow rubber ducky.  I was getting 20.3K RPM on my tach.  Then I switched to a black 6x3 Cox prop.  RPM dropped down to 13.8K.  I knew it would be lower, but 6.5K lower?  That inch makes a LOT more difference than I thought it would.

Then, just for giggles, I put on a gray Cox competition 6x3 prop.  I got 15.3K on that.  I could live with 15.3 on a 6x3 prop, but the grey competition props break so easily and they're hard to find these days.

The reason I want a 6x3 is that I’m not that interested in speed, I want pulling power to pull the planes through the pattern maneuvers.  Maybe I’ll dig around in my boxes and see if I can find an old APC 5.7x3.  Those were good props.

The Extra Inch Mark
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What a difference an inch makes…

Post  RknRusty on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:26 pm

If you have a Master Airscrew, it might be good. They're more durable than APC too. In fact, I have more of those than I'll ever use. I have a few people I've promised to send stuff to, including New222. If I get boxing and sending this week, I'll shoot you some MA props. I'm a terrible procrastinator, so don't turn blue waiting on them. I hope New hasn't passed out waiting on his plastic hemostats. I really do feel bad but I still manage to forget. If I can't find your address I'll PM you.
Rusty the slow.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty on Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:02 pm

Okay Mister Inch, I got a sack o' props for you, a few new MA 6x3 and a couple of black and white Tornadoes. And I picked out New's blue bladder pinchers, so I'm gonna box 'em all up and take care of my promises... at least the ones I can remember.

EDIT: When I looked up your address there was a note that said hemostats... did I ever send those to you?

RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac on Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:44 pm

RknRusty wrote:Okay Mister Inch, I got a sack o' props for you, a few new MA 6x3 and a couple of black and white Tornadoes. And I picked out New's blue bladder pinchers, so I'm gonna box 'em all up and take care of my promises... at least the ones I can remember.

EDIT: When I looked up your address there was a note that said hemostats... did I ever send those to you?

Rusty, Thanks for the generous offer. I'll make a test table and compare the different props and post the data here so everyone can get an idea of different props.

Yup, you did send me the hemostats a while ago. I used them just this afternoon. I was reminded again just how clumsy I am trying to get the fuel line unclamped before the prime runs out.

The Fumble-Fingered Mark
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty on Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:18 am

You either need something to hold the plane or a thumb press point like my line over the top of the fuse shown below. Underneath if aesthetics is an issue.

RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum