Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Mathematicians

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mathematicians

Post  rsv1cox on Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:01 pm

I have an 18 inch circle.  I want to display five rows of one inch letters equally with the same distance between the rows of letters vertically and with that same distance between the top and bottom rows within the circle.  Result to be expressed in fractions of inches.  What is the distance between each row?

And, just to make it difficult....what would be the optimum distance esthetically between letters horizontally edge to edge within those distances?  

THE

CEF ROCKS

WHEN IT COMES

TO

MATH
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mathematicians

Post  Marleysky on Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:51 pm

Well, if you want an answer from someone who doesn't remember the difference between "diameter" and "radius".  Let's try this with simple subtraction:
18" round (diameter) less 5 one inch rows= 13" left. It's round so you'll have less horizontal space for letters at the top and bottom, but if you leave 2" space between the 1st and 5th line ( that's 10") it will let you start with 2 1/2" space from the top and 2 1/2" at the bottom. (That's 3")  
I use to access to a program called " Corell" that would let you type and space out letter and sayings with different fonts and sizes of letters and then twist it around (bend) to any shape. Now days with my "new" home computer I can't even print out a mapquest map or google map without "signing-up" for their app or agreeing to some terms and conditions I'm not sure I want on my computer! Sad Goodbye :lol!:l

Last edited by Marleysky on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added circle sign)
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:41 pm

10.304" is what I come up with (edge to edge spacing)

lol! I don't think that was the answer you were looking for.. My brain automatically went to your recently acquired Timex watch display shelves.. and your wanting to index/label them for 5 engines/shelf. Therefore I multiplied 18 by 3.14.. divided by 5.. and subtracted 1/2 the width of the 1" letter for the spacing.

Would my calculation have at least been correct?
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:15 pm

It's a puzzle to me guys. I tried to hammer it out mathematically but my high school math failed me. Been way to long since I been there done that.

I wound up dividing the circle into quadrants scribed an x in the center and eye-balled it. Came up with 1 3/8ths inches between lines that worked out near perfectly eye-ball wise to center the whole she-bang. Cut a board 18" X 1 3/8" and positioned the letters along that at about an inch spacing on-center. Added a couple of laser cut Owl's for effect.

Making a house sign for my daughters house for her birthday.

Bob
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:18 pm

Does your problem require calculation of area in order to letter an 18" round sign?? DAMMIT! I knew I shouldn't have replied to this thread.. tongue
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:30 pm

roddie wrote:Does your problem require calculation of area in order to letter an 18" round sign?? DAMMIT! I knew I shouldn't have replied to this thread.. tongue

of course.. a little more info wouldn't have hurt...size of the owls and their placement.. the script.. Huh... I used to make dimensional signs for a living. That's when I had access to the CNC router. I made a lot of very cool signs back then.
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:38 pm

GOGGLE that sob and hope it don't come up here July-27 Huh... Eric has a 9th. edu. DAMMIT!
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum