Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings Cox_ba12

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by MauricioB Today at 12:37 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by cstatman Yesterday at 6:56 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:38 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:32 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 5:35 am

» Looking For Comet Tri-Pacer
by latole Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings Empty
Live on Patrol

Skyray 35 Wings

Go down

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings Empty Skyray 35 Wings

Post  ian1954 Sun May 25, 2014 6:58 pm

Rusty gave me the inspiration to build a Skyray 35 and pointed me towards the weaknesses in the wings when adopting the "standard" kit build.

It would appear that, contra to my initials thoughts, the plywood wing ribs, make the wing more liable to breaking.

Also quite a few builders increase the wing area to lower the wing loading.

I have several options open to me now following the application of a little "technology".

Any thickness balsa, plywood, number of ribs, half ribs, rib lightening, tapering ...............

This is the wing with half ribs following standard build and a little lightening.

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings Skyray14

This is the same wing with identical profile. Sheeting and capping strips have been applied.

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings Skyray15

Many options are possible but what is the best approach?

More ribs? Thick or thin? Ply or balsa?

Apply sheeting and capping strips with thinner wood?

The Sky(ray) is the limit!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings Empty Re: Skyray 35 Wings

Post  RknRusty Sun May 25, 2014 8:46 pm

I'm not sure how much less prone to breaking balsa is in a crash, than lite ply. Very possibly less because of reduced inertia. But more importantly, lite ply splinters so badly that it's much more difficult to repair than balsa. Which brings me one of your questions;
Many options are possible but what is the best approach?
More ribs? Thick or thin? Ply or balsa?
Apply sheeting and capping strips with thinner wood?

My answer and recommendation is, since you're an inexperienced CL pilot, use the quickest simplest method. They will all likely fly equally well since the wing loading, especially if slightly increased, is plenty to support this plane in the air. So you may want to consider how much blood, sweat, and tears to put into this stunt trainer plane. And above that, how much of your heart and love is in it as it flies its entire life, 1/100th of a second from the ground.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon May 26, 2014 6:55 am

Hi Rusty,

You mistake my motivation. Breaking models is something I do on a regular basis. Particularly getting over ambitious close to the ground.

Why? Because I like to see the model close up as it flies by. Most of the damage I do is light and quickly repairable - the majority of the planes (RC) that I regularly fly are foamies and very tough. Also because they are quick to build and easy to repair - I often throw caution to the wind and have little discipline by making snap decisions. ( I snapped a wing recently doing a barrel roll close to the ground and too fast - However, this was a 15 minute repair and the "battle scarred parkflyer was back in the air again)

You are quite correct to point out the effect that a balsa bashing build has. I am exceeding cautious with my balsa builds and always maintain a safe height and any damage has been a result of a wobbly landing (easy repair but time consuming)

I have only smashed one of these and this was through experimenting with AS3X stabilisation. Took it out on a windy day to test it - lost control immediately after launch - treed it - the resulting plummet from the tree totaled it. Post mortem established that I had set it up in reverse. So it didn't fight the wind, it rolled even further with it. This one had been repaired a few times due to my experimentation and carelessness (checking CG after a battery upgrade!)

However, I digress.

What I haven't made clear is that the pictures are screen snapshots from one of my CAD/CAM systems. It took one hour to prepare the first set per the original Skyray design and 5 minutes to clone this and modify it for the sheeting.

The pictures of the ribs can be printed and used as templates for cutting and following the procedure you adopted for sandwich sanding.

The material thickness can be altered in seconds and the ribs individualised.

When I have finalized everything - it takes about 20 seconds to produced the G code for my machine and around 3 minutes per rib to cut. 20 ribs in an hour while I drink coffee and smoke cigarettes!

What I am really after is - if you had the opportunity - with no time restriction - to build a wing for the Skyray with the same profile - what would you change to make it lighter, stronger and more flexible?

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon May 26, 2014 8:15 am

Replace the wing with a foam core and make it a plug in. Use 1/64th play as a saddle around the cutout in the fuse. The saddle being a 1 1/4" wide and core out holes in the foam. Cover with laminating film or equivalent. Foam wings are far stronger in terms of flex and ground pounding. They also can be repaired easier. Certain profiles actually fly better with a little weight behind them. They have a lot of side area and can be bounced in the wind pretty hard. Think of it as a tractor trailer going down the highway with a side wind. While you don't want the plane to be a brick, you won't be penalized too badly if the plane misses the kit's target weight by an ounce or two. While the framed wing may be lighter than a foam wing, it depends on the foam used and the construction and covering used on the foam. In terms of strength, I've driven planes straight in from over the top of the circle full bore and flew the foamy 5 min later with a bit of clear packing tape or epoxy. Your not doing that with a built up woody.

My profiles with foam wings have electrical tape holding the wing to the fuse or just a few dots of Gorilla glue. This allows the wing to cleanly break away from the fuse. The plane would also have external bellcrank with the platform doweled and pinned to the fuse. The techniques I described are similar to the Ukey .35 which was a terrific success some years ago. A simple design with about 500 squares for a .35. It could take punishment like no other model available and flew extremely well.

One major problem with control line models is the difficulty accessing the bellcrank without major surgery. Years back most would think that more elevator in terms of size and fast moving controls were the key to success. Look at a Flite Streak for instance. The Skyray .35 is essentially the same squares as a Streak and has very similar characteristics. A very small elevator and slow controls are the key to success. Having the ability to change your bellcrank settings on external controls is really a nice feature. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon May 26, 2014 8:34 am

The Ukey 35

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings Ukie3510
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:28 am

After looking at Ken's post re foam core wings - I had a scout around and found this

http://winshiprc.tripod.com/building_techniques.htm

A combination of the best of both worlds.

I also find the concept of an accessible bell crank appealing. I have just got myself into a right mess buidling the Frog Aerobat. That will be the subject of another post when I have resolved the issue(s).

Now that I have "mastered" the software - I am well on the way to finishing my "wing rib cutter" (amongst other things). I am now fine tuning the axes for accuracy.

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings Stepcr10

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:09 am

Poor curtains! cutting wood will make a mess!

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:21 am

pkrankow wrote:Poor curtains!  cutting wood will make a mess!

Phil

Wood vacuums off - the cutting fluids and metal swarf from the milling machines either side doesn't!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:22 am

I forgot to mention.

Curtains make very good towel substitutes.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:43 pm

I have been playing close attention to Rusty's build and this weekend I finally stoked up my CNC router. Not a patch on the one Roddie uses to create his little masterpieces but a handy size for DIY use.

I put down a couple of strips of double sided tape.

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings P51_d_10

Apply some wood

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings P51_d_11

Fire up the machine

and

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings P51_d_12

It didn't take long to do these

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings P51_d_13

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings P51_d_14

This is part of the structure for half of the wing (still subject to modification)

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings Skyray10

I keep trying to resist taking it too far!

skyray - Skyray 35 Wings Skyray11
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down