Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Original Super Power fuel formula? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Original Super Power fuel formula? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Three (only one left) Cox .020 silencers for sale.
by GallopingGhostler Today at 5:12 am

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 2:38 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by MauricioB Today at 1:50 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 1:42 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:20 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:00 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Yesterday at 6:51 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Yesterday at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Yesterday at 8:40 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Yesterday at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Yesterday at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:16 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Original Super Power fuel formula? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Original Super Power fuel formula?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Original Super Power fuel formula? - Page 2 Empty Re: Original Super Power fuel formula?

Post  getback Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:47 am

Crank to the rescue !! Good to hear from you after the hurricane being your in Florida Small Cox Logo Sooner or later someone just about ever time will have the answer ===I Love This Forum!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Original Super Power fuel formula? - Page 2 Empty Re: Original Super Power fuel formula?

Post  NEW222 Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:26 pm

Good one. I never would have thought of looking at ads for fuel. Thanks for clearing this up.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ze Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:07 pm

I saw on the back of one of my cans it said it contains 50% more nitro than other fuels so maybe 20*(1+50%)=30%?
ze
ze

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:35 pm

ze wrote:I saw on the back of one of my cans it said it contains 50% more nitro than other fuels so maybe 20*(1+50%)=30%?
I never knew super power fuel as being racing fuel.

I think that was in reference to their competitor's standard half-A fuels of time (Testors, K&B, Fox, etc.). At work they used to call such language as "puffery" (sounds nice but means nothing). Laughing

(This was in reference to a contractor's response to a solicitation by sending us his literature that made his item appear to be better than the competitors.)

BTW, Welcome to the forum!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  davidll1984 Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:55 pm

I'm not sure what I'm going to say but I think Cox used one or more additives in a different recipe with more oil I seem to have read orange oil in the recipe ???? Not just castor oil in fact I believe it is orange peel oil Someone here may have heard that, I think I read this here several years ago And heard that its some stuf used to improve combustion when using a lot of oil ??? don't really know where I got this information from anymore but one day you will have an orange in your hand and you will remember having read this. Take a lighter, light it and press the orange peel in front of the flame In order to project the drops of oil from the zest of the orange It burns really quickly And strangely the smell reminds me of something !!???
davidll1984
davidll1984
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:17 am

I've posted these original Cox glow fuel formulas before.. but here they are again for reference.

NOTE: The mixing formula of the "Race Power Fuel" uses "Flight Power Fuel" (#50000) as a base (rather than straight methanol..) and adds castor, nitro and Dow Lube to it.

Original Super Power fuel formula? - Page 2 Glow-p13

Original Super Power fuel formula? - Page 2 Flight12

Original Super Power fuel formula? - Page 2 Racing12
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:41 am

Back in the day I would use the Cox Racing fuel which was the white and red can with the trophy on the front. It certainly yielded higher rpm results but the fuel that was just amazing for me was K&B 1000. Not only did this fuel offer superior running characteristics, it smelled like no other fuel. The smell was instantly recognizable in a good way. I miss that fuel and the fun I had using it. Missile Mist was another one which I would substitute when I had no K&B. In my parts, my local hobby shop carried Fox fuels and to obtain K&B fuel I had to go fairly far to purchase it. I spilled Missile Mist on my new sneakers turning them purple. My mother was so mad at me for doing so.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:55 am

Ken, back in the day, 1970's, I'd opt for K&B 1000. Hobby shops would carry it, not all carried Cox fuels. Those that did, it was cheaper than Cox fuels. It always gave me satisfying runs. Once in a while when 1000 was out, I'd buy K&B 500, but its lower nitro level dropped RPM's a little, affecting performance.

I tried Fox Missle Mist once in a while when K&B 1000 was not available. In the late 1970's, early 1980's, one hobby shop I frequented in Honolulu carried Sig fuels and they were slightly cheaper, so I opted for Champion all Castor with 25% nitro. That sustained me through college.

I gather that Fox added a dye to their Mist to differentiate it from the other fuels. Modellers don't care about color. Perhaps this was a move to verify the right fuel was going into the right cans at the factory?
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:06 am

Powermaster was using a red dye in their oil a few years back in the GMA fuel blends we use for stunt. They then used another oil which was purple which I believe was Royal Purple. In both situations, these dyes were staining the finishes of the planes. White planes were turning purple.The red dye was turning the engines red. I have some engines with Delrin venturi's and to this day they're still pinkish due to this dye. After several nasty letters, Powermaster switched back to no dyes in the fuel. Missile Mist would stain your hands but it sure did smell good. let's not forget how cool the cans looked. There's something to be said about the coolness factor back then.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:20 am

blend my own fuel. always have since racing 2 stroke bikes which had more additives at times than model fuel. I have found with my cox 049 engines going from 20% nitro to 25% nitro makes a decent power increase but does shorten plug life. but is worth it. Im about to go to klotz synth and castor. 10% klots castor and 10% klotz synth. im not wedded to it just want to try it. the klotz synth doesnt retard combustion like castor and 10% klotz castor should support the small end and crank fine. time will tell. can only try.
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:23 am

Gary,
Have you played with the fuel calculator yet?

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:35 pm

ze wrote:I saw on the back of one of my cans it said it contains 50% more nitro than other fuels so maybe 20*(1+50%)=30%?
@ze , @Ken Cook in his 2016 post provided the link with the answer:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10183-original-super-power-fuel-formula#128790

Scanning the thread, I found your answer. @crankbndr nailed it with his clip from the 1985 Cox Product Catalog, available for download as a PDF from the link at the bottom of the LATEST TOPICS menu:
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t10183-original-super-power-fuel-formula#128833

Here is his catalog clip:
Original Super Power fuel formula? - Page 2 6_of_613

The original Cox Super Power was 15% nitro.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:45 am

944_Jim wrote:Gary,
Have you played with the fuel calculator yet?

Sorry Jim. No. got back to work and completely forgot. I will give it a go tomorrow night after work. Ive got an old version of excel on a laptop at home that I hope will support it. I cant do it at work as all of the systems are classified defence systems.
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:57 pm

Yabby, your percentages above is what Sig fuel was. 20% oil and 50/50 blend. I personally lean more to the synthetic.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Yabby Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:14 am

Hi Ken, thanks for that. As this is my first venture into synth oil in Cox engines I will start at 10 castor and 10 synth. I think modern synth has some likely advantages over castor, but castor is still there when an engine runs lean at the end. The trick I think is the ratio. I have a feeling 5 castor is probably enough. I will work toward 5 castor but it needs to show a benefit over 10 castor 10 synth.

I have in the past used Castrol A747 in my Yamaha TZ with great success. It was a castor synth blend made for pre mixed race fuels. I had previously used all castor oils, but the castor synth A747 was recomended by Yamaha and was significantly better. So I am intetested in castor synth oil for my Cox engines. will take time.
Yabby
Yabby
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 pm

Castor or synthetic it makes no difference when it leans out. If your using Klotz and at least 20% oil content either or you will not ruin the engine. Your engine is leaning out because of your tank. Make the tank uniflow and it will almost run the same from start to finish. Better yet, run a bladder and the run goes rich in the end.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:15 pm

Hi All,
I miss the days of getting a gallon of 40% and a FAI 0% from the LHS...
Mixing and playing 'mad scientist' to get the perfect run...
It would be nice if synthetics...
Smelled like Castor Oil... Smile
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave
HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:08 am

Klotz Techniplate smells even better.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Hi Ken,
I guess the smell of castor is nostalgic to me...
As a kid coming back from 'Cox' flying, all the clothes were not allowed in the laundry hamper.
Had to be hand washed in a bucket and hung out on the clothes line. (then stored in the shed !)
Going flying meant 'suiting up' in our 'pilot clothes' and having fun...
I have a small jug of BeNol Castor.
I take a 'wiff' before going 1/2A electric flying...
The smell of Castor and flying makes me happy ! Smile
Take care,
Have fun,
Dave

HalfaDave
HalfaDave
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2