Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Glow Plug Clip Question Cox_ba12

Cox Glow Plug Clip Question Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» WenMac 049 - Glow Plug & Head Gasket replacements?
by Ken Cook Today at 3:17 pm

» audio-tach anyone?
by roddie Today at 2:58 pm

» A choke-tube with velocity-stack configured Bee
by roddie Today at 2:54 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 2:43 pm

» 12 string guitar suggestions
by 1/2A Nut Today at 1:58 pm

» Nostalgia alert, my 1959 Corvette revisited
by Admin Today at 1:11 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by rsv1cox Today at 10:26 am

» Prop Rod - resto to a runner
by rsv1cox Today at 7:32 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» Prayers for my Wife Please
by akjgardner Yesterday at 10:28 am

» Cox prop rod
by Wiggy Fri May 17, 2024 4:30 pm

» "Red Neck" .049 elec. starter
by getback Fri May 17, 2024 7:19 am

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Glow Plug Clip Question Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Glow Plug Clip Question

Go down

Cox Glow Plug Clip Question Empty Cox Glow Plug Clip Question

Post  fargophil Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:10 pm

In the Quarterly newsletter I read today there is an interesting article about improving the Cox Glow Plug Clip. Paul stated he increased the wire size to cut down on resistance which does make a lot of sense. My question is how do you do that. Looking at the two clips I have there does not appear to be any easy way to get the contacts out of the yellow plastic or is there a trick I am not aware of?
fargophil
fargophil
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Glow Plug Clip Question Empty Re: Cox Glow Plug Clip Question

Post  NEW222 Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:19 pm

I, myself, just pushed them through. Push from the wire side to the clip side. I then carefully took the clip and pried up the 'tab', cleaned up the clip well. I then applied flux and soldered on a good long piece of heavy gauge speaker wire. I then pushed it back in the same as I pushed it out. Then I cut a tiny piece of 1/32 or 1/16 plywood and shoved it between the two contacts. Hope this help some.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:00 pm

fargophil wrote:In the Quarterly newsletter I read today there is an interesting article about improving the Cox Glow Plug Clip. Paul stated he increased the wire size to cut down on resistance which does make a lot of sense. My question is how do you do that. Looking at the two clips I have there does not appear to be any easy way to get the contacts out of the yellow plastic or is there a trick I am not aware of?

YUP! There is a " Trick to it"  Like or similar to automotive connections there is a Little tiny "Tab" that locks the copper pieces into the Plastic holder.  Use a small flat tipped screwdriver to push the tab down and you'll be able too pull the copper connectors out>  I used a Dental Pick to depress the tab and a plastic grip pliers to hold and pull the copper out of the yellow plastic.  If you Look into the Clip from the wire side you'll see  the tab on the opposite side of the wire connection on each copper piece. Cox Glow Plug Clip Question Cox_pl10

Dang, I've almost got it done, Larger wire and solder BINGO back in the GLow Again!!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:23 am

Keep in mind that when you do use a larger wire, they're going to be very close to each other internally. It becomes very easy for the two to touch inside the yellow body. I also recommend that you use good fitting heat shrink tube back onto the wires for about 2 inches. This keeps the solder joint from failing.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:39 am

I like that idea Ken. Never thought of that. Seems a lot better than my little piece of wood I put between the two contacts.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  atesus Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:33 am

I realize this is an old topic but maybe it helps someone else.

Not all of the original wires need to be replaced, necessarily. The original wires can be cut short right after they exit the clip, and heavy replacement wires can be soldered from that point on, up to the battery, eliminating most of the resistance due to skinny wires. This way, there's no need to make changes in the plastic clip itself.
atesus
atesus
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:23 am

atesus wrote:I realize this is an old topic but maybe it helps someone else.

Not all of the original wires need to be replaced, necessarily. The original wires can be cut short right after they exit the clip, and heavy replacement wires can be soldered from that point on, up to the battery, eliminating most of the resistance due to skinny wires. This way, there's no need to make changes in the plastic clip itself.

WELL THAT’s a SUPER SUGGESTION......WELCOME TO THE FORUM!! Flying
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:56 pm

atesus wrote:I realize this is an old topic but maybe it helps someone else.

The new guy's first post...and he slams it out of the park! I plussed up Atuses' Greenie for an overlooked, but easy solution to a common problem.

Ok Atesus...now you owe us a formal introduction. Where are you from? What brought you to this site? What is the earliest Cox recollection you can make?
Welcome to CEF. We are glad you signed on!

Last edited by 944_Jim on Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  atesus Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:13 am

Gentlemen, many thanks for the warm welcome.

I live in the SF Bay Area (South Bay) and fly with the Oakland Cloud Dusters and SAM-27, almost exclusively rubber until this past April when, I decided to build a Dakota for a special contest in honor of late Joe Wagner who passed away in 2020. With the Dakota, I realized I missed the smell of burnt fuel and here I am. By the way, I lost that Dakota on a trim flight before that special event, after keeping it in my binoculars for about 15 minutes when the floaters in my eye started to look like it... That Dakota had a 0.049 Babe Bee on it, turning a 6x3 Cox prop, and I thought it was too much engine for the model. Then I built a second one, called it "Rigid Midget" per Joe Wagner's original wish, and installed a 0.049 OK Cub in it. This setup is behaving much better now.

My earliest recollection of Cox was a Babe Bee sitting in the window of the lone model shop in town. Somehow I was able to buy one in about a year which I installed in a simple control line model. I remember being able to start that motor once long enough to try flying but when the friend put the model on the ground I realized that the motor was running in reverse. For some reason (which I now think must have been an old battery) I couldn't start/run that motor reliably and with no one to ask around, I put it aside and not thought of it until recently, 45 years later Smile.

I have about 10 Cox engines mostly various 049s, and 2 diesel Pee-Wees. My next project to use a Cox engine will probably be a Sioux.

Best,
--atesus
atesus
atesus
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:43 am

Thanks for the back ground atesus Glad you joined us for some more Fun!! Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:36 pm

Welcome to the forum atesus. Sounds like you are having fun.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:57 pm

WELCOME atesus
I think you'll feel at home here.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn