Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Model Airplane News April, 1960 Cox_ba12

Model Airplane News April, 1960 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 6:46 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 3:54 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Model Airplane News April, 1960 Empty
Live on Patrol

Model Airplane News April, 1960

Go down

Model Airplane News April, 1960 Empty Model Airplane News April, 1960

Post  Kim Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:34 am

Got a few stacks of old magazines I seem to enjoy the most when the weather turns a little rough.  They're all a pretty good kick, but some stand out...like this issue of M.A.N. April, '60.

Thought I'd share a few pages:

Model Airplane News April, 1960 1_16

Model Airplane News April, 1960 2_21

Model Airplane News April, 1960 3_15

Model Airplane News April, 1960 4_15

Model Airplane News April, 1960 5_20

Model Airplane News April, 1960 6_18

Model Airplane News April, 1960 7_12

Model Airplane News April, 1960 8_110

Model Airplane News April, 1960 8_12

Model Airplane News April, 1960 9_12

Model Airplane News April, 1960 10_11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Model Airplane News April, 1960 Empty Re: Model Airplane News April, 1960

Post  roddie Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:58 am

I was 3 mos. old.. Smile Yes.. some very cool ads there! I remember in later years; always being drawn to the model-boats. There's some neat Scientific models shown.

Thanks for sharing dude! Kinda' makes me want to cut some balsawood. It's cold here today (mid-30'sF).. We got some ice on the fringe of that Nor-Easter that came through on Thursday night. It made walking down the driveway to start my car on Friday morning.. a great "movie-op" before leaving for work. I was doing the "Roddie-shuffle".. trying to spread sand from a coffee-can.. while walking down-hill in a head-wind. There was plenty of sand on my boots. Rolling Eyes The roads had been treated though.

Gig tonight.. but it's only about a ten mile drive each way. Happy New Year
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:04 pm

While I do NOT remember any particular issue... mom loved to take us kids to the library---- and around 1960s I learned about the magazine section (much to my Mom's displeasure)

I used to write down every free or .10c catalog ad, and send off a snail mail request with the requisite Dime taped to the letter inside.
I got rewarded a lot with catalogs from Woolworth, Sears, AHC, Comet, Scientific et al....My Oh My how LONG my Xmas wish lists were!

To this day, I don't remember any magazine article ----BUT still have a serious desire for a Stunt Rocket Airplane,,(I have the plans) and if you look at Kim's last image
-- the first 2 models are probably what started this affliction....Haw! Great imaginary fun looking at the Snark and Regulus SSM (super sonic Missile).
These were must haves for this new age of Military technology
Especially for an Army brat with a Dad who ran Nike Ajax training site Red Canyon Range Site , New Mexico ( part of White Sands )

Mentioned elsewhere, I hope, was a recounting of a flight I got in a F-104 trainer around age 10 or 11 as a Cub Scout. We were on Formosa (Taiwan).
I flew in the trainer F-104 with Capt Shelnut whose wife was our Cub, Webelo, Boy scout troop leader Smallish community of 27 AF and Army families---maybe 11~13 total 9 to 16 year old kids)...Her husband drove F-104s for the 50th Red Devil Squadron out of Taichung Formosa on missions into China during the early Viet Nam years

I love all the forums that have someone posting these OLD magazine pages...

Yes Virginia, I do copy and NOW read the Model articles.... BUT I still spend a lot of time reminiscing about the wonderful ads for toys, that I had to have!

These early life experiences focused me to aviation, missiles, and anything else that GOES FAST!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:15 pm

fredvon4 wrote:

Mentioned elsewhere, I hope, was a recounting of a flight I got in a F-104 trainer around age 10 or 11 as a Cub Scout. We were on Formosa (Taiwan).
I flew in the trainer F-104 with Capt Shelnut whose wife was our Cub, Webelo, Boy scout troop leader   Smallish community of 27 AF and Army families---maybe 11~13 total 9 to 16 year old kids)...Her husband drove F-104s for the 50th Red Devil Squadron out of Taichung Formosa on missions into China during the early Viet Nam years

HOLY CATS !!!!  You actually RODE in a Starfighter !!!???  I flew a bunch of 'missions' with my Hawk Models F-104, pressed to the side of my head, intercepting tomatoes in the backyard garden.
What a rush the real thing must have been!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:12 pm

One of those frequent Family Open Houses a lot of Army, Navy, and AF places did way back when.. MY dad, Mom and I each got a ride in the F-104...Mine included a high level sonic boom... Not apparent in the cockpit but Capt Shelnut told me to watch the Mach gage and I DID--- amazed

Usually, where we were--- (outside of KunKwong ((I am sure not spelled correctly)) Airbase) when a mission ended, the returning craft would blow one boom each so the wives could know Hubby was home

Twic there was ONE too few booms and all the wives gathered to await the bad news...only twice in the 4 years on the island did we lose a Pilot...once mechanical and once China SAM shot

I got lucky as a Army brat frequently near AF bases as I got a LOT of different rides...mostly helicopters, but I got to help fly a C123, a C130, and a Cessna O-2 Skymaster, as well as the OV 1 Mohawk when I was active duty with 4 of them in the unit I supported

I have about 34 hours total stick time in UH-1 and AH1 unit birds as a crew chief with a accomodating Pilot in Command

But back to the F-104...They obviously could not put children into the altitude chamber and check us out or do ANY very high G maneuvers...

But Capt Shelnut knew me and that I was a healthy 11 year old boy (not anemic or sickly) so he whispered to me "once we got Up There...we Might have a bit of fun"...There is NOT a whole lot I vividly remember from my childhood...but just about every knee shaking adrenaline pumping moment of those 20 minutes of my life are indelibly imprinted

Bucket list is one of the mega buck rides in the P-51 Mustang in Florida...I think crazy Horse

Check out this site
http://www.stallion51.com/

Small blurb

Stallion 51 Corporation offers various Orientation Flight programs. We promise a rare and exhilarating flying adventure.

The entire program takes approximately 2 ½ to 3 hours. The instructor will begin with a thorough preflight briefing where he will customize your flight profile, based on your input and experience.

Once in flight, you will be invited to do the majority of the flying yourself - from basic maneuvering to high performance aerobatics - you are in control. Following the flight, a debrief occurs where you will log your flight time and review video of your flight from our state-of-the-art, on-board camera system.

This high-resolution color video includes three different camera views, inner-cockpit communication and residual engine sounds. The video is yours to keep, along with a flight profile certificate and an autographed photo of the Mustang you piloted.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:17 pm

Yeah, Crazy Horse has visited our airshows a couple times.

When I left my job with P&G in 2003, I very nearly signed up for an hour of dual in the Mustang (I was making fairly regular runs to Seminole Glider Park near Clermont) as a pseudo 'Retirement Gift' to myself. I bought my first Barrett rifle instead, and am still on the fence about the decision. I may still happen...if one of my crazy fits and and a chubby budget happen to line up.

Don't think that'll happen on this lap with a Starfighter...

Model Airplane News April, 1960 Crazy_11

Model Airplane News April, 1960 Crazy10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content