Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 Cox_ba12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 10:20 pm

» Three -- sold out (making two more) Cox .010 Carburetors with wrench
by 1/2A Nut Today at 10:17 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by 706jim Today at 6:44 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 4:08 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Today at 3:56 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 Empty
Live on Patrol

On the Ramp Right Now!

Page 17 of 28 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 28  Next

Go down

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 Empty Re: On the Ramp Right Now!

Post  Kim Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:23 am

RknRusty wrote:Is Beth a pilot?
Is she still rid'n around on the back of your bike... if I may ask personal questions.
The sometimes nosey Rusty

Hey Rusty,

Yep...we've had a few "conflicts of view" over the past year and a half, but have managed to pull things back together after taking some breathing room time-outs. Don't want to go too far off the subject track here, but I AM learning not to be so quick in pulling the Eject Lever in relationships, and think she's getting more at ease with letting me punch-out for a day or two to reset myself.

She's not a pilot, but has been "absorbing aviation" at a somewhat spectacular rate. Her latest rage is the discovery of the "Flightaware" site that lets people track civilian IFR traffic across the country.

Beth is truly one of those people "who've never met a stranger", and has been a big hit with everyone she's met during our assorted adventures.

In our recent encounter with the Mustang and Spitfire visit at Cape, I was probably lucky they were in a hurry to get fuel and be on their way. I'm betting that if Beth had had a little more time to work on that Mustang pilot, she would have been able to talk herself into hitching a ride in the fighter...with me following in the van to their next fuel stop !

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 22_13

So, things are going along pretty good...we'll have to wait to see where all this leads...

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:29 pm

What a bird.
Nice Mustang too.
Good going, Kim.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:30 pm

We had a JAARS (Jungle Aviation and Radio Service) Helio Courier parked at Cape yesterday.  They were selling rides in it and a Robinson R-44 helicopter most of the afternoon.

I've always loved "Back Woods" aircraft that can plunk themselves down onto whatever patch of ground is offered.  Don't know if it's still done, but the airshow at Oshkosh used to be opened with a Courier doing it's thing: launching in two or three plane-lengths and stopping (with brakes fully locked) in less than that.

Anyway, got a few photos of this one in between rides.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 1_22

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 4_16

The main gear is WAY forward on the Courier...helping it resist tipping onto it's nose when the brakes are stomped!  The super-tall fin and rudder keep the surfaces from being 'blanked out' by the fuselage when it's plowing along at a steep angle-of-attack.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 10_11

Beth poses on the other side of the plane's huge cargo doors.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 3_18

The Courier's 'flying tail' horizontal stabilizer.  The whole surface moves, combining the functions of a stabilizer and elevator (stabilator)...many of the Piper single-engine planes have the same set-up.  

Like the Piper's stabilators, the Courier also has a 'servo tab' installed---the tiny hinged surface on it's trailing edge.  Acting as a standard trim-tab, it also works against the motion of the stabilator to give it some 'feel', and helping to keep the pilot from over-controlling the plane with all that moving area.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 11_14

The Courier's leading edge slats are open at rest, and operate automatically in-flight as the plane's angle-of-attack requires.  Sliding on rails, with no control input from the cockpit, they stave off the stall of the big wing and let the plane operate at crazy-slow speeds.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 6_14
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:11 am

Christen Eagles are not exactly known for their Stealth abilities, but these two managed to totally ambush the line shack with a Tower-approved  pass down the 'main drag' (runway 10) yesterday morning.  Don't even remember what we were talking about, but whatever it was, we sure weren't listening to our radio.  

Once me and my buds DID get a clue, we spilled out of the line shack like a bunch of kids hearing the approach of an Ice Cream Van. (had the same thing happen with a P-51 a couple years ago, and about walked over a couple of customers in my blind rush to park the fighter)

Anyway, the pilots of these beautiful little bipes spent a some time on our ramp, picking up some fuel, and visiting with friends before heading back to St. Louis.

Christen Eagle II in it's trademark scheme:
On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 4_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 6_13

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 8_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 14_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 13_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 9_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 12_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 11_12

Last edited by Kim on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:55 am

Them are some awesome looking planes. You lucky dog, that's what you get for working holidays!
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:52 am

What a stunningly beautiful air machine, thanks for sharing the close up photos. I'd give my left nut for a ride! LOL HaHa lol!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:45 am

OK, Gotta ask, on the Eagles - Bug Zappers, keep the spect's away, static discharge, or something else?

Beautiful airplanes but I might have enjoyed the Courier more.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:02 am

Attitude indicator, you can look out and see if you are level or have a good up/down line or 45 degree angle.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:11 am

Took the opening shift today so that one of the youngsters could drive somewhere for a football game, and found this little tricked-out Pacer tied down out front.  There's always a cool mystique with classic planes parked in the rain on a gloomy day...I have yet to catch a Lockheed Electra on a foggy night for a "Garbo" shot, but still hopeful...

Don't know any facts about this one, but will post them if it's pilot shows up before I bail.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 2_18

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 3_14

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 5_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 6_15

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 7_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 8_14
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:38 am

crankbndr wrote:What a stunningly beautiful air machine, thanks for sharing the close up photos. I'd give my left nut for a ride! LOL HaHa lol!

Yes, the Eagle is a beautiful machine. I once got a ride in one, still have both my nuts although during and directly after the flight I was not sure lol!

I arrived next to the plane in a car, blindfolded as this was a surprise. The plane is so tiny that it almost looks like a 1/4 scale model plane Very Happy The pilot did all kinds of aerobatics, I even blacked out a couple of times. I didn't lose consciousness, just could not see, it was like a black curtain was pulled down right after 6g... I had a big plastic bag stuffed under my harness, the pilot told me to tell him to level the plane at least 5 sec before I puke lol! Well, I didn't, at least not during the flight but shortly after... Well it was more than worth it Smoking

That Piper is a nice plane too, are the extra large windows a modification?
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:50 am

KariFS wrote:

That Piper is a nice plane too, are the extra large windows a modification?

Yes, the little plane has several mods, including the windows ans cowling. I'll post again if the pilot shows up today !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:55 pm

Kim always posts some very interesting and well painted aircraft.. Because of this hobby AND a career in aviation I got to visit the "paint shop" many times at our various Depot locations and was always fascinated at the prep and final masking and paint...especially over the long expanses you can't reach and on areas that are a challenge for any air-gun painter

The masking alone on that Pacer probably took a week

Oh and yes Virginia...if you own a plane and want to custom paint it.... bring your banker! Many of the paints are now in the $800 per gallon range thanks to the EPA
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:42 pm

So, a wild (by my standards) weekend of Army Parachutists, Bald Eagles, a big Cross on a hilltop, and an 11 mile bicycle trip with other assorted wildlife blended in.

The Golden Knights Army Parachute Team was in town for Cape's Homecoming Celebration, so we hoofed it down to the airport.  I'd previously talked to the airport manager to see if he could put in a word about us (or Beth) hitching a ride in the jump plane, but that was not to be...despite Beth's full-powered attempts at charming the crew.  

We WERE able to tour their F-27 'Friendship' jump plane and visit with the team as they packed their chutes for a jump into one of the local college's football fields.

As soon as the Fairchild had tucked it's gear, we took off back up the interstate to catch some of their jumps 5 miles away.  The streets around the field were choked with cars, so Beth bailed out with the camera while I circled the place, looking for a parking spot.

She got some good shots of the Knights dropping into the field.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 1_113

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 1_23

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 1_310

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 17_16

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 3_16

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 6_19

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 5_14

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 8_17

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 16_15

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:27 pm

I have seen them so many time in my Army career and as a jump qualified mechanic, it still fascinates me to watch them and other skydivers

The plane is also very cool!

Thanks Kim

Fred
Living vicariously through the lens of Kim and Beth
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:52 am

I try not to do too many re-runs here, but am making an exception. Got myself an 'artsy' frame of our friend from Tunica, Mississippi in his T-28. I was also able to get some clear audio of it's Wright R-1820 Radial engine cranking up...you'd be surprised how noisy a deserted ramp can get just when this or some other cool engine fires up.

Once again, I forgot his name, but he's a former F-4 driver, who always has a big visit with our local F-8 Crusader pilot when they can get together.

A good way to cause a general alert on the ramp (at least when I'm working), is to call in with "Cape Tower, North American N266WK is 7 miles south, inbound for landing".

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 T-2810
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:17 am

Keep 'em coming Kim, most if not all of us enjoy the pictures and narrations. They don't have "stickys" here but this thread sure would qualify if they did.

I remember the T-28 from my Navy days in Pensacola, and the very mention of the F-4 Phantom conjures up memories. When taking off they would rattle the jealously windows of our trailer parked at the end of the runway at Azalea Trailer Park in Jacksonville. Fun days and you got used to it.

It seems that I read somewhere where they modified the T-28 for air to ground work in Vietnam.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:36 am

Thank you Bob, I appreciate it! I really like taking photos and am really glad to have a bunch of like-minded folks to share them.

These photos are a break from the military. The first is a particularly pretty Phenom 100 corporate jet that dropped in on Sunday for a quick-turn squirt of kerosene, and some catering.

My young coworker and I met them with our fuel truck, and had them ready to launch before they could hit the restrooms and gather their lunches...ALWAYS a good. professional thing!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 1_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 2_10

The second is a Meyers 200. These little four-place planes resemble 'Baby Navions' (to me) with their canopy shape and P-51'ish tail, but with hinged doors rather than the Navions' big, sliding canopy.

One of it's coolest features (again, in my opinion) are the wrap-around rear windows. The view from the back seats HAS to be fantastic!

There will be inflight photos if I'm lucky enough to mooch a ride!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 3_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 4_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 5_10

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 6_10

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:17 am

Cool blue and white airplanes, so nice.

At first on the Meyers I thought Aircoupe, then I looked at the tail. Both airplanes are so stylish.

I would give a hundred dollars to be a millionaire. Whoops, I'm 1960's thinking, make that I would give a thousand dollars to be a billionaire. Smile I would buy two of each.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:43 am

Back to the Military Planes!!!!

Drove down to the airport last night for Catfish Friday, and was shocked to see this VERY nicely restored Mitchel bomber lurking on the darkened ramp!  My spies had tried to call me, but it didn't show up on my cell phone 'till late in the evening.

The guys said that the crew was gonna depart around 8:00 am local, so it was a good thing I showed up a little after 6, because they decided to hit out early to dodge some weather!  They're going to Memphis, and then out across toward Ohio.

Tried to get some decent video footage, but my camera is acting up again.  Thinking it's time to put another dent in my retirement stocks and get a better camera!

Anyway, here are some photos of this beautiful B-25!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 1_14

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 2_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 4_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 4_510

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 8_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 7_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 9_11

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 10_11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:32 am

Do you know what the graphics on the nose symbolize. (Not the girl!! HaHa!!).
I see a train, some nazi flags, and ships. They must have bombed the hell out of the Nazis.
Cool to see that old bomber in the air, thanks for the pics.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:22 am

Yes, the "train" looks like a 4-4-0 Civil War era "American" locomotive, not quite connected to WW2 but the European Loco's were pretty primitive looking compared to ours.

Beautiful aircraft all decked out in 50 cals. Maybe it came from a South American country. They flew these for years after WW2, and I believe they last saw action in the ill-advised "Cuban Invasion."
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:41 pm

crankbndr wrote:Do you know what the graphics on the nose symbolize. (Not the girl!! HaHa!!).
I see a train, some nazi flags, and ships. They must have bombed the hell out of the Nazis.
Cool to see that old bomber in the air, thanks for the pics.

Bomber crews kept close track of the number of missions flown, and often emblazoned their aircraft's noses with a tally board as they moved toward completing their tour and going home.  The bombs each represent a mission counted toward their rotation, the swastikas, for each confirmed German plane shot down, along with silhouettes for the trains and ships destroyed.

The outhouse silhouette MUST have a story, which I'm gonna try to find out about.  Figure they weren't about to give a Nazi a quiet moment for 'Nature's Call' !!!!

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 11_10

The right waist gunner apparently got himself a confirmed kill...sorry for the blurred photo.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 12_10

https://www.facebook.com/GeorgiesGal
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:10 pm

pretty sure a b 25 flew over my house today
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:18 am

Not quite possessing the drama of a B-25, but a cool plane nevertheless...found this De Havilland Twin Otter parked on the ramp.

Not much info other than the photos...the guys cranked up while I was doing morning tending to the fuel trucks.

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 1_15

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 2_12

On the Ramp Right Now! - Page 17 3_14
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:31 am

Very Cool !! thanks as always Kim, you really get to see some interesting planes come through RC Plane , Eric This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 28 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22 ... 28  Next