Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? Cox_ba12

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 1:04 pm

» Happy Anzac Day!
by GallopingGhostler Today at 12:44 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by rsv1cox Today at 7:17 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? Empty
Live on Patrol

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker?

Go down

Thinking Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker?

Post  fredvon4 Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:23 pm

I am taking a break and sipping a tad of Iced tea--- chasing the occasional nip of Gentleman Jack and sucking on a short stogie

Long put off task...Catalog and inventory the fuel and components... with attention to age and container condition

Boy of Boy do I have too many pint bottles (4) of the NOT good 1/2a Tower fuel ( deficient in oil) so they are to the side waiting me to augment the oil content

And the 5 year old unopened can of VP Racing PowerMaster 15% N 17% oil that I got on sale($11.99) and promptly forgot about....I think a good base for modification to run my ever growing inventory of small OS engines

And to my aggravation I bought almost all the Sig Champion 25% and 35% in quarts... and for some reason every jug (7ea) has the pooched down bottom so they don't sit flat....grrrr

Yes Virginia...I know smoking around the fuel is bad mojo... Tis why I am "on break" in the shop at the laptop while the TOO many bottles are in the shade outside awaiting consolidation into all the nice clean metal, tight seal, quart, 1/2Gal and 1 Gal cans I got last year

now where in hell did I hide the Brother label maker....? grrr
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker?

Post  Kim Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Right there with you on the pooched-bottom-bottles...Sig, Fitz, Glowplugboy, Tower, and "Cox" stuff....along with a 'Byron Mystery Jug", whose contents get poured into pans and used to do quick-cleans on the occasional engine!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Gotcha Kim

some of this questionable stuff will proly get into the cleaning solvent category

and a while back I had a bit of fun burning off some other unknown blend in a chain saw...great gobbs of smoke!!!
Funny cuz I though the clapped out Husqvarna chain saw ran better on the glow fuel than the 40:1 gas mix

For now I gotta be careful relighting the stogie... don't want no blue flame hands....grin

BUT I sure do smell good....

Even thought of dumping one last questionable quart into my old ratty John Deere rider (D-105)with the 18HP single cylinder 4 stroke just to top oil it and make the mowing smell fun....

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Curious question

Post  fredvon4 Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:03 pm

Of course like any good do it yer self er... I studied up on all things alcohol....thinking I might just distill some drinkable spirits and maybe a side run of fuel meth...

I have successfully fermented fruit into wine and dabbled briefly in beer brewing--- but I much prefer my German store bought beers....though my friends and family thought my 20% blackberry wine was pretty damned good

The curiosity is:... My ultra sonic cleaner, EVEN with heater "off", heats the juice quite a bit... 156F~187F --so If I used older fuel as a Ultra Sonic solvent... wouldn't the real solvent component -the methanol- just boil out of the mix fairly quickly

Yes Virginia...this question forces folks who do not know, to look up the boiling point of most alcohols and get a quick primer in distilling.....grin

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:15 pm

You guys that have run glow fuel in lawn mowers and other small 4-strokers, is that mixed with gasoline, or straight-up?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:44 pm

The only time I did it Rusty was a few weeks back and I just took the beater worn our chain saw with year old gas in it and added to fill up the tank of my questionable glow fuel in and that damned thing fired right up!,,,,,, smoked like a skiter fogger tho....grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:27 pm

All of this pontificating regarding fuels and home brews reminds me of the time my five year older than me brother attempted to make his own concoction in a kettle stuck inside an old Model T trunk that resided in our back yard.  Out of curiosity I raised the lid only to discover that the solution was covered in maggots.  When I brought it to his attention (younger brothers love to needle older brothers) he was not pleased. "You tell Mom and Dad and I'll kill ya".  Just one of many similar threats from him that I enjoyed in my younger years.  

But most confusing is finding gas that will not explode or burn.  I drained five gallons of gas from my MG's tank, nasty stuff, yellow and rusty.  I couldn't siphon all of it so I removed it and upended the rest into a container.  Now I'm stuck with it and you can't just chuck this stuff into the local creek or landfill.  So I dug a pit in the middle of my burned off brush pile, dumped in some gas soaked rags and a couple of kindling and doused it with a cup of the nasty gas and from a distance threw in a match.  Nothing.  More nasty gas and tossed in a lit piece of paper which just sat on top of the pile burning. What?  Gas is highly flammable and explosive, hence my caution.  

So what I'm getting to is.........how do you dispose of contaminated gasoline?

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? Midget22

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? Midget21

MG's coming along beautifully, doors and fenders off and I'm thinking - Beach Buggy!  Smile

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? Midget23
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Hazardous waste disposal

Post  Marleysky Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 pm

Bob, you could check with your local, township, city or county goverment. Where I live The county has a disposal site (Hazardous Waste In Kent County) they take most anything, just have to call ahead for an appointment. It does make me sleep better at night knowing I'm not killing wildlife or fish....or my offspring by just dumping in the yard or creek. Check it out!

Hey! Did ya ever get a chance to watch the Corvair video I posted a while back??
I do like your MG better.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:29 pm

lol!  I remember you posting about running that chain-saw Phred.. I replied with a photo of "Leather-Face". It just seemed appropriate where you live in Texas.

I don't have nearly as much fuel on-hand as you Phred. My Sig fuel's plastic-bottles (pint and quart size) have not "puckered-out" on the bottom.. but I have a quart of "Tower" (TOWP1625) 30% car-fuel.. that is bulging at the bottom. I bought that one-quart before learning that the Sig-Champion fuels have an adequate oil-mix for my Cox engines. That Tower quart is un-opened.. and at least 15 years old now. Most all of my model-engines are vintage.. and need "castor-oil" in the fuel. The Tower fuel might be OK for running in my OS .10 FP/RC.. but that's about it. The OS engine is NIB... so it won't be seeing that fuel for several hours.. if ever.

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? Tower_10

I also have an OLD QUART..........  Shocked  Shocked  of Testors/McCoy (unopened) with a "K-Mart" price-sticker on it.. ($1.93-special)

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? Testor13

Probably from back in the 1970's.. Shocked Only God knows if it's still chemically-sound enough to run an engine made for it. If I ever run my Testors .049 "pipe-bomb"... I may Christen-it with this fuel, just for nostalgia-sake. If it runs ok, I'll have a whole quart to burn. I would imagine that being sold at K-Mart; the fuel was intended for use in the Testors "Fly-Em" arf's that K-Mart likely stocked at the time. Maybe it was toward the "end" of Testors' popularity.. after the models were no-longer on the shelves. What would a quart of Testors fuel retailed at, during the height of popularity?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Marleysky wrote:Bob, you could check with your local, township, city or county goverment. Where I live The county has a disposal site (Hazardous Waste In Kent County) they take most anything, just have to call ahead for an appointment. It does make me sleep better at night knowing I'm not killing wildlife or fish....or my offspring by just dumping in the yard or creek.  Check it out!

Hey! Did ya ever get a chance to watch the Corvair video I posted a while back??
I do like your MG better.

Tried to watch it Rene, but I'm not on Facebook and couldn't open it.

I will google WV hazardous waste sites, but this is West Virginia a poor state and government services are very thin. I know that Virginia has one near my sons house, guess I will let him dispose of it.

Thanks - Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:09 pm

Can't you just burn it? The volatility is long gone. Gather some brush and throw that crud on it. It's no worse than going out the tailpipe.

That's all they do at a hazardous waste facility.

Edit: I need to learn to read better. I still stand by my original statement though. Light that junk off on a brush pile.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:54 pm

I have the perfect solution Robert.. Laughing Add 1-part "yellow-stinky old fuel" to 10-parts "tiki-torch" fuel. It might take the Summer.. depending on how many torches you light.. but you'll burn-off that old fuel fairly quick. I absolutely LOVE tiki-torches. I typically light at least "eight" torches on a given night. I like to place them near outdoor stairways.. along pathways.. and around the outer-perimeter of the yard. Around a fire-pit is also nice.

If you haven't already; you could transfer the old gas into some fuel-cans.. and mix-it with the lemon-grass torch-fuel to be burned-off. Try just one first... and see how it burns. You might need to buy some extra wicks for your torches.. but they're cheap and easy to replace.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Thinking What's in your fuel closet ?

Post  66 Malibu Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:44 pm

What to do with old fuel ??  Two Words ....FIRE ANTS !!!! A terrible affliction of the Southern US....
I like to take a long screw driver deep into the burrow and dump old gas /model fuel down the hole. A few seconds later, light it !!!! home made napalm just like apocalypse now !!!
Oh Yes ..I like to leave 2 or 3 alive so they can warn the other colonies down the street that my yard is where that Crazy Blank Blank  lives...
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:08 pm

Bob... I think you should be right to be concerned with a proper way to dispose of the bad gas.... most haz mat sites ...especially the free ones , won't take it , as there is no pure way to know what it is..... more on this in a second

Potentially you have leaded gas with Benzine....bad stuff to even burn as the smoke residue is still a airborne hazard

And as You know every thing in WVA flows into some stream because the streams are all close

As Army contracting officer, once I had to manage a motor pool waste managment contract... for a fee they would take used motor oil, bad fuel, and used coolant..... If one of my soldiers dared to put coolant into the oil collection container...then the fee per gallon went up by a factor of 100 because now it had to be disposed of differently by EPA guidelines

Hell in my county.... that has twice a year free turn ins... if any acceptable liquid is MIXED with any other liquid they will NOT take it....just plain costs too much to properly dispose of

MY solicited advice is to gather a wheel barrow load of wood chips and saw dust.... dispense the raw bad gas in the chips....let sit in the sun until mostly evaporated.... then when you do add the sawdust/wood chips to the burn pile...pick a day when winds are not to the town...and do not breath the smoke

OTOH ---5 Gals is not likely to have many PPM of the lead or benzine--- if any--- depending on potential age of the bad gas

OK a lot of caution words...IF you know the gas is from modern era with zero lead or Benzine... pour it any where you see fit .. it is not a serious hazard ..and I suspect all the volatile organics have already dissipated... based on your "will not burn" note
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks all, I especially liked the fire ant solution.  They were all over in central Florida where we lived.  

I'm pretty sure this is unleaded, it was built in late '77 and has the restrictor in the filler pipe.  I'm pretty sure it was last ran in 1991.  I have contacted the previous owner whose address was gleaned from roach eaten scraps of old insurance papers and registrations found in the glove compartment.

I turned that information over to my son whose internet skills far exceed mine and within minutes he had the previous owners current address and phone number.  I called the number and a charming female voice answered and related that the car was owned by her husband (now deceased) and one of her daughters.  Now in her 70's we had a lot in common and we swapped MG and Mustang stories back and forth.  She doesn't have the title but her daughter may, either way she will obtain a title and sign it over to me.  

She had the best time relating how one time she could not get the MG into reverse while trying to park in a snow storm and had to seek help, (the car is presently equipped with four almost new (then) snow tires) also memories of her daughter and husband with their heads stuck under the hood searching for some malfunction. She had separated from her husband and does not know what happened to the car after that.

With a propeller like that, if it had wings it could fly.

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? Midget24

Now that I have seriously hijacked this thread I must apologize once again.  

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:54 pm

Bob, we love your posts!
Cool post on the MG, i came close to buying one when i was in the Navy, it had been 'customized' several years before, wheel wells flared, purple paint, paxton supercharger, but had rust popping thru the bondo, leaked oil and was basically worn out....so i 'settled' for a 390 4 spd. '67 Cyclone!

Just took at look at my fuel, which hasn't see the light of day in who knows...

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? 20170416
Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? 20170421
Years ago i made little tabs to put on fuel bottles, as was running different engines, got into a habit of using quarts a lot less weight for the field box, i could always grab another quart to bring if needed. Theres also the qt. of caster in background.

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? 20170419
Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? 20170418
Some current fuels from 3-4 years ago.

Whats in your fuel closet/shelf/bunker? 20170417
Far back of shelf theres a unopened gallon of all caster powermaster, i got at the (2001) nats for a Fox i never ran and a empty can of Nitrotane a popular R/C fuel from the 80's
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:08 pm

I have two gallons of green Cool Power that were foisted upon me in a weak moment. I haven't bothered to look up the ingredients but they make a good rest for wings while installing and aligning. So would water jugs, which also wouldn't fuel any unintended fire. A couple of unopened metal cans of old Cox fuel.If anybody wants those, just say the word... that goes for the green stuff too. The rest is all in use at least occasionally, except for some solvent fuel that I should combine.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:59 pm

Sold... a "gold-painted" 77 MGB that was for sale at a used car-lot down the street from my house. I noticed it a few days ago.. and stopped to look at it this afternoon. It had been repainted at least once.. (originally "red") but the body looked solid. I have to admit; I wanted it. The window sticker was flipped-over with "sold" facing-out.. but had "best-offer" on the reverse-side with the model-year noted. I knew it was a late-model by the mag-wheels and the bumpers. It looked to be a fairly solid car. The rag-top was in very good shape. It had recent NH Lic. plates on it.. and four brand-new radial tires. (the white-wall stripes were blue..) My uncle has a 65 "B" in his garage that's been off the road for 40+ years. It's sky/powder blue.. with wire-wheels/knock-off hubs. It needs the front strut/control-arm parts that were/are hard to find.. and he didn't want to go the J.C. Whitney route with a conversion-kit. So it's been sitting with a heavy canvas tarpaulin over it... for decades.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Thinking RE: What's in your fuel closet ?

Post  66 Malibu Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:19 am

Today,
I read Roddies account of the gold MG and as I left home I turned onto the main road to run an errand and a Goldish beige MG-TD passed by me. I haven't seen an MG on the road for many years much less a TD!!
To me that was an odd coincidence...Guess you had to be there !!
Sorry for the ramble, Steve....
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:35 am

I enjoyed the MG stories guys. I haven't been keeping everybody up with "what's going on" with my MG Midget build here, but if your interested, this is a link to the MGE (MG Experience) forum. sorta like the CEF without the camaraderie.

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,3490822

But beware it runs four pages long with over 1700 views.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down