Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A great day of pattern flying at Congaree Cox_ba12

A great day of pattern flying at Congaree Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 5:08 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Levent Suberk Today at 4:04 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -June 2024-
by Davenz13 Today at 12:15 pm

» Hawk had breakfast and then took a bath
by GallopingGhostler Today at 3:46 am

» S.M.A.L.L. 2024
by balogh Today at 12:21 am

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:24 pm

» Feed Station Zebra.. Spring 2024
by roddie Yesterday at 4:10 pm

» Cox .049 Tee Dee engines back in stock (limited availablility)
by Cox International Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» Cox Mustang repair
by getback Yesterday at 7:29 am

» You know you’re in Branson, Missouri when
by batjac Thu May 30, 2024 10:52 am

» Cox water wizard
by 1/2A Nut Wed May 29, 2024 11:46 pm

» WenMac MkIII 049, Cox BabeBee, FOX 15X and 19 Prop Screw/Crank Threads
by roddie Wed May 29, 2024 7:34 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A great day of pattern flying at Congaree Empty
Live on Patrol

A great day of pattern flying at Congaree

Go down

A great day of pattern flying at Congaree Empty A great day of pattern flying at Congaree

Post  RknRusty Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Last Saturday I turned in my application and joined the Congaree Flyers. It's exactly 30 minutes from my house, and more convenient for all of my flying friends than Fort Jackson is. This is the first time I've gone out for a casual day of flying full patterns at one of my clubs since last fall. And still no ill neuro effects. Very Happy

The sky was overcast hiding the sun which would have been right in our faces due to the direction of the light breeze. The grass was pretty freshly cut and we've found that the south end of the runway is a great place to stand and fly for the surest footing. It's a 15 foot wide by 300 foot long strip of heavy polyester made specifically for this application, and staked into the ground. After one Summer, the grass seals the edges in place. Now that the club has some Control-Liners, they're going to lay us a 15x15  pilots' pad about 50 feet off the end of the runway for us to stand on, and two 15x25 strips 180 degrees apart for takeoffs. The usual prevailing winds will determine where we choose to lay them. Pretty cool.

I have a lot of leg strength and balance to regain after my Winter layoff and it was getting the best of me, but I managed 4 full flights on the Tutor without any mishaps, all rolling landings with empty tanks. The only bad run I had was on the second flight when the fill-cap blew off of the pressurized tank and she went too lean to fly without overheating and sagging. And it sprayed raw fuel all over the plane. It was such a mess that it took 3 rags and a copious amount of Windex to degrease it. After my last flight at Triple Tree that cap was swinging from its safety string just like today. I thought maybe I'd forgotten to cap it, but now I know it blew off. I took a needle file and roughed up the brass tube where it exits the tank and it seems to grip fine now. It's pink Brodak tube.

I mentioned I was having balance trouble, and it was worse than I expected. It's worst of all in the overhead 8. If anyone watched my Triple Tree video, I planted my feet and flew a great OH8  solid as a rock. Looking back I now realize I had the engine running considerably faster today, and it was pulling like a mule. It's a 50 ounce plane, close to my comfortable limit of about 55 oz. I figured out too late that I self-inflicted my stability problem by flying too fast. DOH! When I have a brain fart I have a doozie... I sure wish I could have a do-over on that. This TT Pro.39 needles so easily it's almost like having a throttle. Variable speed, all 2 stroke. Even better than an LA.46 in that respect, but harder to hand crank. It needs to be soaking wet to light off, so I started using my electric starter at the last contest, and it's a quick brap and off to the races... literally today. So flying slower for the judges I had seven separate stunts that I scored between 30 and 35. Today, I would not have scored as high.

Speaking of that, the other day in my TT flight report, Crank asked:
crankbndr wrote:...How many of those can you rack up before you move out of intermediate?
Well I went on blabbering about scores and reasons why not to move up. Today after my flights, Wayne came to me and told me I'm wasting my time hanging around in Intermediate. My shapes are good, my equipment is good, my prep is good, and if I use this Summer to get my bottoms accurate, my scores would be in the 470 range, and I would likely improve faster against tougher competition. And it's true. Everything I've ever done has gone to a higher level when I had to beat more skilled opponents. Shooting pool, playing baseball, drag racing... and so on.

Well okay, then. Y'all may recall me saying that my life's goal in CLPA is to Belong in Advanced. I thought it would never happen. But he's been watching me fly ever since the first plane I ever flew bigger than a Baby Flite Streak(the Shoestring), maddeningly spare with compliments or pats on the back, and suddenly this. I can't help but take him seriously. I can do this. Many of my bottoms are improving. This Spring, I have peppered scores of over 30 points(of a possible 40) on Outside squares and loops, Triangles, all takeoffs & level flights, all landings, and all inverted flights. I'm just throwing away big points on my bottoms and pullouts. Still not stringing them together, but better than previous seasons.

Of course, this all depends on me getting my legs back. At Huntersville, I could not even stand up after launching, I had to crawl off the circle, bloodying my knees, and even rolling away if I had to hurry. Quite embarrassing, but funny for the crowd. I didn't mind, but was concerned. By TT, I could struggle up and walk off ducking. Today I was slow but much more able. So, as my strength and balance returns, and I don't have that feared neck problem recur, I have high hopes that I've got this. Another big goal for me accomplished. If I never win a trophy in Advanced I won't be disappointed... at least not until/if I get truly competitive in the next class.

I'm off to make a little movie I shot today. Just a tour of Congaree.
So, untill I return in an hour or so,
see y'all in the funnies,
Rusty

Last edited by RknRusty on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

A great day of pattern flying at Congaree Empty Re: A great day of pattern flying at Congaree

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:44 pm

Get'r done!!!!!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

A great day of pattern flying at Congaree Empty Re: A great day of pattern flying at Congaree

Post  RknRusty Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:25 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Get'r done!!!!!
Yessir, will do!
Okay, the flick is about done, here it is:
https://youtu.be/DmC657VRlvg

I never did really finish up my Huntersville or Triple Tree reports, I'll try to follow up. I don't want to leave them undone.

I've been busy since taking over hosting Sparky's Stunthangar live streaming hangouts on M, W, and F. And occasionally on a Saturday too. Getting the hang of working on camera without dead-air boredom while waiting for the guests to arrive. It's pretty fun after we get a few people broadcasting from their workshops and talking about whatever projects they're working on. They're all archived on the stunthangar Youtube channel if you want to watch ones we've already done. I'll post invitation links here before I do the next live one on Monday night. They usually begin streaming between 9 and 10 Eastern time on Google video Chat.

And, Kim, I'll mail your HD back to you this coming week.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:35 am

You can do it Rusty i know your competition in you will put up the aggression to move forward to advance . We are all rooting for you friend . Thats a good looking field there and i see a lot of fun times coming out of it . Best of luck and skill to ya !! Eric Very Happy Heck you may even get some R/C time in ?!?!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:33 am

getback wrote:You can do it Rusty i know your competition in you will put up the aggression to move forward to advance . We are all rooting for you friend . Thats a good looking field there and i see a lot of fun times coming out of it . Best of luck and skill to ya !!  Eric  Very Happy
Thanks Eric. 
Heck you may even get some R/C time in ?!?!
Lol, I gave you a greenie anyway.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:16 pm

Rusty ...on the knees legs ...I can relate

Sort of funny that one day I was all set and feeling pretty jazzed to maiden a new(er) RST with LA 25 from my newly acquired heavy plate stooge from RSM   ( very good stooge IMO even as it is a tad pricey)

Any way I got set up, fuel, looked at notes, decided on 10,900 rpm, got the tach set, prime flips, hook up glow, give it a bump turn, and one smack backwards..... fired right up, played with needle a bit then tached and set to where i wanted.

All that took several long minuets.... running nice, stable on the stooge, looks like prop will clear the grass well.... go to get up and head for center circle and my handle ....

Two bad things happened at same time...once up, got super dizzy and fell down, once dizzy passed, could not get back up even after rolling over onto hands and knees... so screw it! I just crawled over to the plane and laid down head propped and watched the LA eat a tank of fuel
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:47 pm

Fred, are you doing this all by yourself? I have seen this kind of thing happen to my own club members. It's a bad recipe and the outcome is typically worse. You just described exactly what happened to one of my fellow flyers. He got up though only to fall into the prop while it was on the stooge. The lacerations started at the finger tips and ended at his arm pit. This required a helicopter evacuation. Something to think about.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:18 am

Yes sir Ken, I got lucky that time, and it scared me enough to enlist wife to walk a dog while I play airplane.

I rarely eat a breakfast but now she insists I get some food in me before a morning at the field...obviously that stopped the stand up vertigo

I also started using a low folding stool to sit n tinker instead of kneeling or bent knees. I actually got that idea watching Old guy Rich Stubbefield play combat pilot and pit guy/ He does every thing but fly from a box he sits on
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down