Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Boiling a Taifun Cox_ba12

Boiling a Taifun Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joe Wagners Sioux
by rdw777 Today at 2:55 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 2:52 pm

» B-25 Mitchell
by rdw777 Today at 2:49 pm

» Artwork for Otto Kuhni
by rsv1cox Today at 2:39 pm

» Cox water wizard
by Wiggy Today at 11:32 am

» M1Fan...who are you?
by 944_Jim Today at 3:07 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by 1/2A Nut Today at 2:52 am

» Roddie's water-cooled bench-run vid
by roddie Today at 1:55 am

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Ken Cook Today at 12:19 am

» Cox AT-6 Texan repaint.....Pretty nice
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 11:25 pm

» Roddie's water-cooling bottle for bench-running
by roddie Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 3:54 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
May-2024
1/2A Nut's

"Cox Tee Dee .051 RC Marine"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Boiling a Taifun Empty
Live on Patrol

Boiling a Taifun

Go down

Boiling a Taifun Empty Boiling a Taifun

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:14 pm

I have discussed this engine before with Ian and other responding with pertinent information.  It's missing the nut that hold the NVA on, about an M7 or 8 I think, other than that it's complete.

Three step process - Boil, hot Simple Green, hot water rinse.  Boiling didn't completely free the super stuck prop drive washer, but the hot Simple Green while turning the prop washer did.  Blow out with compressed and a spray of Remoil finished the job.  I did not boil the anodized parts, just Simple Green and rinse.

Photography sure brings out the flaws.  Guess I will have to blacken the needle and compressor thingy.

Boiling a Taifun Taifun15

Boiling a Taifun Taifun12

Boiling a Taifun Taifun13

Boiling a Taifun Taifun11

Boiling a Taifun Taifun10

Boiling a Taifun Taifun14
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Boiling a Taifun Empty Re: Boiling a Taifun

Post  Jason_WI Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:14 am

Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:25 pm

Yes, very close.  Looks like a combination of the two.  I wonder if Taifun and Webra were affiliated in some way.  Both made in Germany.

There was a Webra 2.5 that came with it that has the same slot-less hex machine screws for the case as the RC Groups engine has.  Mine is missing one head screw and one case screw.  Hard to find the same style I would think.

Boiling a Taifun Engine16

Boiling a Taifun Engine15

Odd induction on both. Taifun (Diesel) is reed similar to the early Cox engines, and the Webra has a rear rotary that is driven by a pin on the crankshaft. Picture above.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:01 am

rsv1cox wrote:Yes, very close.  Looks like a combination of the two.  I wonder if Taifun and Webra were affiliated in some way.  Both made in Germany.

There was a Webra 2.5 that came with it that has the same slot-less hex machine screws for the case as the RC Groups engine has.  Mine is missing one head screw and one case screw.  Hard to find the same style I would think.

Boiling a Taifun Engine16

Boiling a Taifun Engine15

Odd induction on both.  Taifun (Diesel) is reed similar to the early Cox engines, and the Webra has a rear rotary that is driven by a pin on the crankshaft.  Picture above.

No Taifun and Webra were not affiliated in any way-and 'Taifun' was a 'house brand' for Graupner-just like 'Frog' was for International Model Aircraft in the UK. Webra was Berlin based, and Taifuns ware produced in Vohringen in Bavaria. The actual manufacturer of the Taifuns was Hans Hornlein in Vohringen-I have never been able to establish (to my own satisfaction)-what the exact relationship was between him and Graupner-was his manufacturing business a Graupner subsidiary?, a division of the company-or was he a completely independent business simply contracted by Graupner to manufacture engines-or alternatively did he hold the proprietary rights and Graupner just had exclusive marketing of the range...
Interestingly-there IS a link between Webra and Taifun -but not the kind you might think-the late Gunther Bodemann, Webra's chief designer, who designed the Webra Mach-1 in 53 was 'lent' to Taifun in the late 50s or early 60s-and whilst he was there designed the excellent Taifun Orkan 2.5 racing diesel-and the 3.6cc Bison glow engine-both of which are quite different in styling to the rest of the Taifun range..[he may also have had a hand in the later 1.8cc Taifun Sprint design-but I can't confirm that]

Again-there is little (in english anyway) known background to the reasons behind this move-it may have been initiated by Bodemann himself, or perhaps he was head hunted by Hornlein, or perhaps Graupner decided they wanted a fresh set of eyes applied to their engine range designs...... it's hard to say-and even in the UK, some well known engine designers-Dennis Allen, Gordon Cornell, George Fletcher for example moved between various engine manufacturers at different stages of their careers.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:45 am

Thanks for that Chris, you have obviously researched the administrative side very well and helped me better understand both engines. I was somewhat familiar with Webra but not Taifun. Are you a collector?

When I first got this group of engines a gift from my son, I did an on-line search and found very little. Your post filled in the blanks.

Some day I will mix up some diesel, or buy some and run it.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ffkiwi Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:00 pm

Bob to a degree-I collect some brands-but it has never been a conscious decision-you get one , then another pops up, someone gives you one-then you start to think "it would be nice to get the whole set..." well this is what happened to me with Taifuns and several other brands-and along the way you acquire knowledge.. the same happened with my ED, Frog, DC ranges. I do not actively collect Webras as such-but I have a few. Both Taifun and Webra were well regarded-and produced in serious numbers.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
ffkiwi
ffkiwi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down