Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Need advice - Texaco II Engine running problems Cox_ba12

Need advice - Texaco II Engine running problems Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Today at 8:12 pm

» Jim Walkers FireBee - This is going to be fun
by roddie Today at 6:51 pm

» *Cox Engine of The Month* Submit your pictures! -May 2024-
by Admin Today at 6:46 pm

» Post your Older ignition books
by lla Today at 6:34 pm

» S1 Ringmaster
by Onelife Today at 8:40 am

» Speed plane - Crispy but not too crispy
by rsv1cox Today at 7:54 am

» O&R 23 & Brown Jr
by getback Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by MauricioB Today at 2:31 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 4:16 pm

» Hemostat clamp/smooth-jaws
by roddie Yesterday at 3:48 pm

» Black Widow Run time
by Ken Cook Yesterday at 3:44 pm

» 1:64 scale Diecast (Hot Wheels)
by roddie Yesterday at 3:33 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Need advice - Texaco II Engine running problems Empty
Live on Patrol

Need advice - Texaco II Engine running problems

Go down

Need advice - Texaco II Engine running problems Empty Need advice - Texaco II Engine running problems

Post  Cox International Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:07 am

Below text from a customer. Our understanding is that he has experience with Texaco events and low Nitro fuel. What comes to mind is lack of compression when engine heats up or leaking glow head but would like to hear from you folks on the forum.

I just wanted to let you know that the Texaco 0.49 motor still refuses to continually run, I have replaced the crankshaft and housings twice I have totally replace the fuel tank with a long range fuel tank gone from 1 head shim to 4 shims and the motor will only run for 20 to 30 seconds and it leans right out and stops, I can flick start again and the motor will start and run full song for another 30 seconds, I have run the motor very rich and it will keep running, no power though if I bring the motor to just on the slightly rich to lean you can hear it just starting to peak it stops, I am running a cox 7" prop running meth and castor @ 5% nitro, Its not the fuel it seams to be getting hot as normal and finding a internal air supply, i have replaced everything that is replaceable the only thing I haven't replaced is the barrel and piston, Can you shed some info as to what might be at fault is worth a try
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Need advice - Texaco II Engine running problems Empty Re: Need advice - Texaco II Engine running problems

Post  fredvon4 Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:13 pm

Sounds typical of a engine with poor Venturi O ring seal BUT in this case a Tank screw leaking air... (30 seconds run time)

Full tank with bad O ring will run for half a tank then leak and run lean

Recommend, eliminate all air leak possibilities.... seal for tank to back.... I use a very light addition of PermaTex Anaerobic Gasket maker in the recess..... Ken Cook's Q tip cotton under every tank screw head

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Need advice - Texaco II Engine running problems Empty Re: Need advice - Texaco II Engine running problems

Post  Cox International Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Yes but he says that he has replaced the complete tank assembly ....

fredvon4 wrote:Sounds typical of a engine with poor Venturi O ring seal BUT in this case a Tank screw leaking air... (30 seconds run time)

Full tank with bad O ring will run for half a tank then leak and run lean

Recommend, eliminate all air leak possibilities.... seal for tank to back.... I use a very light addition of PermaTex Anaerobic Gasket maker in the recess..... Ken Cook's Q tip cotton under every tank screw head

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:39 pm

I would also assume the backplate and needle valve was replaced too if he replaced the whole assembly?

Has he tried silicone fuel tubing around the needle valve to eliminate any needle valve leaks?

Found this image on Google as an example.

https://goo.gl/images/WpAVpS
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Not sure if the whole fuel tank assembly was replaced or only the tank.

Jason_WI wrote:I would also assume the backplate and needle valve was replaced too if he replaced the whole assembly?

Has he tried silicone fuel tubing around the needle valve to eliminate any needle valve leaks?

Found this image on Google as an example.

https://goo.gl/images/WpAVpS
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Bernie

Zero disrespect intended but... every complete back plate..Plastic, and tank assy ----I have from you and Matt will leak air if some simple steps are not taken

Tank to crank case... Cox gasket with very light skim of anaerobic gasket maker....placebo effect...the gasket it self is good enough IMO

Back plate to Tank seal...several methods...some with thread, some with My preferred Anaerobic gasket maker or RTV

4 screws always seem to leak... RTV, or Anaerobic Gasket maker, or cotton sewing head thread under screw head, Q tip cotton under screw head....Ken Cook's recommended way

Also a note... with a metal back plate a lot more torque to the 4 screws is possible... with the plastic back plate this just distorts and makes air leaks more prevalent

In fact I got so tired of fussin I just went out of way to buy many cheap lots of Cox engines JUST for the metal back plates
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:28 pm

Thanks for the advice and we will send the client a link to this thread.

Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  rainyday101 Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:47 pm

I had this same problem on the Texaco I bought from you. I finally found that the fuel line in the tank did not fit on the nipple on the backplate very good. It would run until the fuel level got to the nipple connections and stop. Usually about 30 seconds. Every time you took the tank apart the fuel line would fall right off the nipple. I fixed the problem by selling the engine. I did state the problem when selling the engine. I bought one with the metal backplate and never had a problem.
rainyday101
rainyday101
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:20 pm

The problem with the fuel pickup line would have been the same with the metal backplate. We found out the hard way that the line we were using became soft over time and did not sit properly.

Since we changed over to the yellow Tygon line we have not had this problem. Sorry that you had issues with the engine and, if you had mentioned this to us, would have sent you the new fuel line version.
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  rainyday101 Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Bernie, It was no problem. I decided the Texaco engines weren't for me. Instead of bothering you, I decided to sell them and disclose the problem when selling them. I have no doubt whatsoever you would have taken care of the problem.

Don't worry, I will be ordering more real soon. By the way, your 1 oz. round fuel tanks are the best 1/2A tanks period!

Sure would like to see some more of those beautiful red anodized RC surestart engines.
rainyday101
rainyday101
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Yes, the one ounce tanks are fabulous because of their super-easy assembly. We get them from Tissan Haifa in Israel; who used to be the Israeli Cox distributor.
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

Back to top Go down

Post  chevyiron420 Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:23 am

I had a black widow that did the very same thing. It nearly drove me nuts. It ended up being the reed and plastic reed retainer. The retainer wasnt perfectly round inside and even though the reed fit well, at one spot it didnt. You would think it should have quit at random intervals but nope. It would run about 30 seconds and quit every time. I sanded the smallest amount of one edge of the reed and it was fixed.
Phil
chevyiron420
chevyiron420
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down